ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Office: Sitting vs Standing

Lately, I have been hearing from my physical therapist and others that sitting all day is very bad for you. So I have been standing up every thirty minutes.

Have came across several people that work while standing. Anyone try this working in an office while standing vs sitting?

2009 MRI, Bilateral SI Joint Injection, PT, L4/5 Bi Lateral Facet Injection

2010 Acupuncture, Discogram, L4/5 and L5/S1 Bi Lateral Facet Injection, PT, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 Fibrin Sealant Injections

2011 Right leg pain started mainly with movement of the leg.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Default Neither helps me

Sitting in one place with good posture seems to work for me. However, standing in one place is just as bad as sitting in one place after a few hours for me. If I walk around and stretch, I feel better. However, I can't work while walking around. So neither sitting nor standing for long periods of time work for me at this point.

Two months ago, my sitting tolerance had increased to 2-3 hrs. as long as I took 5 min. stretch breaks every hour. I could then vary my position from sitting an standing every 30 mins or so for the rest of the day. Now my new upper back pain has me back to hurting within 30 mins of sitting down in the morning, and standing up doesn't help.

If you are going to stand and do office work, you'll need a fully adjustable desk. I'm lucky enough to have them in every office I visit, but some companies might not want to supply them. Hope you can get one and that it helps.

-tc-
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 AM

When I tried to return to work, I had a hard time sitting all day, so I got a wireless mouse, keyboard and second monitor for a combination sit down desk and standing desk. I thought it would work but my left leg would go numb while standing in place and was actually worse.

At the time I asked a new pain mgmt dr to try injections and he refused. I have no idea why. a year later and I've been going through a whole series of injections to deal with post ADR issues and I wish I would have had that opportunity before giving up my job.

What ever you do, don't try a kneeling chair. It's aweful and not meant for long term sitting. have you tried sitting on an exercise ball with the chair stand?

I find that moving is the best. Too bad we don't have work stations with elliptical machines or treadmills as an easy option!

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Since my last CESI, I have found that sitting at my desk causes me the most discomfort. I mentioned this to my pt who told me that sitting for long periods was not good for my condition and suggested that I get up every hour to walk around. I also had a ergonomic workstation eval from a registered nurse who reiterated that advice adding that I should change positions throughout the day. Unfortunately, my company won't install an articulating (height) desk just the keyboard. There are other work areas in the facility that have the articulating desks specifically for individuals like me who need them. Good luck.
Chiropractic, physical therapy, TENS, acupuncture, massage, epidural steroid injections
Metaxalone !!! Massage in a pill !!!