ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:27 AM

about 10 days ago I started getting some pain in the upper butt region, feels like a sore muscle more than anything, but can be real painful when walking. It seemed to just about go away until I went for a jog, then got much worse and then calmed down a bit and now back with vengence. Can't seem to get over the hump with it and not real sure how I have done it. Pretty certain its just a sore muscle from either lifting or running but strange pain after doing so well and not increasing any of my activities.

It only hurts when walking. Doesn't bother me sitting and real minimal on elliptical but walking is just tough. Kind of nervous a bit and havn't decided what to do about it yet.

The pain is almost at top of buttocks and deep, I can push on the area hard and get an idea of where it is and stretching that hamstring seems to really be tight now. I have been just trying to stretch the area and take NSAIDS,

Any suggestions?

Bill

Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 AM

Hi Bill,
Try doing the Achilles tendon and hamstring exercise on the FAQ`s for a few days instead of your usual one. Its gentle and a good one
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 03-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Piriformis? Just a thought . . . though I'd think with that muscle you'd have a hard time sitting.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 PM

no problem sitting at all. Its very similar area to wear one tends to have pain immediately after surgery but that usually only ocurred on me when sitting not walking. Just seems muscular, I hope not back-related. Going to continue stretches for now and NSAIDS and give it some more time to heal. We'll see where it stands at end of week.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

Bill,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some discomfort. It sounds to me (in my humble opinion) that you may have a Back Strain: low back pain that is usually characterized by lumbar intervertebral joints stretching or microscopic tearing of muscle fibers. I would give your back a couple of days to calm down without any vigorous exercise.

I hope you feel better my friend.

Justin
Old 03-21-2005, 02:10 PM

I am looking at my journal that I keep from working out and hope that what I did was just pull the back muscle when lifting as it began the day after a heavy lifting day in gym. We'll see. Think I will stay off the elliptical for another day or 2 and see if it resolves. I really haven't given it any time to do so, so Dr. Justin's advice will be followed as ordered!!

Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Bill, have you done any new exerc. in your routine? any torso rotations (even during the work day)? I know it's a stretch....no pun intended....
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-23-2005, 04:47 PM

nothing new Rich. I actually spoke with my therapist today and explained situation and how I think I may have done it and he thinks it may be si joint by description. And looking at the type of pain that can cause it seems possible, and maybe only a little loosening of it up will resolve it. He is going to check me out on Friday a.m. We'll see, if its anything that we can confirm I will make appt soon. Just stinks as all was going well, only good thing is that its completely new pain and I can deal with it for now, just throws off the workout routine a bit!!

Take care, Bill

Old 03-23-2005, 10:40 PM

Great SI joint website:
http://www.kalindra.com/
Maybe you've already been there?
ciao!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Bill,

I had some SI issues in the early stages of my physical therapy after surgery. Ultrasound and massage really helped. The pain you describe actually sounds like what I was experiencing. Keep stretching and hopefully you'll be over this hump soon!

I hope with each day you get better.

Justin