ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Hi all,

I canceled the fusion I was to have at C5-6 last wed in the hopes of getting and ADR. I have a very short time frame due to the significant compression of my spine. I'm reaching out for input on which is a good artificial disc and who is a good doctor.

In my search, I have narrowed it down to Dr. Zeegers in Munich and Dr. Bitan in NY. Dr. Zeegers is preferable because of his experience and Dr. Bitan because he is in the US. Has anyone had a cervical ADR from Dr. Bitan? How did you do? Has anyone had a bad experience with Dr. Zeegers? I've read nothing but good. Does anyone know the name and reputation of a Dr. who does ADR in Seattle?

I've heard and read bad things about the Charite and Bryan discs. I've read nothing but good about Prodisc-C (Dr. Bitan's disc of choice). It seems as if Mobi-C is Dr Zeegers' disc of choice. All of the above have plastic components. Some have said that plastic is at risk of breaking down making metal on metal devices like the Prestigue discs look attractive. Durability is a huge concern with me as I'm only 27 and on my second level (had fusion at C6-7 on 4/2/08). Can anyone shed some light on how they are doing with devices 3 to 5 years after installation?

I thank you for your responses in advance. I need to have this disc out ASAP to avoid loss of function in fingers and decreased balance. I hope to make the right decision with your help.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Both the Prestige and ProDisc-C have completed clinical trials for FDA approval which followed patients for 4 years with good results--you can access the data by googling them. There have been extensive discussions about materials on this site which you can access.
I don't know of any surgeons in Seattle but there are several experienced and highly-recommended surgeons in LA, including Dr. Delamarter and Dr. Regan.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM

If you work hard enough you can find bad cases for every doctor. Zeegers actually had one absolutely horrible case that turned into a mess for him when he chose to try to salvage another doctor's badly misplaced ADR. In general, this board and any other board we've read has had good things to say about him. We have no personal experience with Bitan but the comments, albeit fewer, have also been positive. As a completely separate consideration to separate the two, which one would be easier for you to complete your recovery and follow-ups? Do you need to buck the dollar to Euro exchange rate to the point where you're going to rush home to cut costs and compromise your recovery? On the other hand, being in Munich with good mass transportation, will you be more likely to stay around and see the sights and take it easy at the beginning?

Those questions may be ridiculous for you but I'm just suggesting that you look at other aspects and see if one of the two doctors jump out as the best option.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 04-14-2008, 07:43 PM

I have the Prestige discs and Mavericks. I am one year four months out from surgery. I am 51 years old and was badly damaged before my surgery. Many years with DDD and one previous spinal surgery 11 years prior to ADR surgery. I do not have the length of time that you are asking about for long-term results. I am doing as well as can be expected with the amount of damage I had. When I have had enough I will probably go talk to Dr. Kevorkian. I understand the kind of pain that robs you of the desire to live and to have God put an end to the suffering here on Earth.

There are many options here. I think Germany has the best surgeons in this arena as they have far more experience than the American counter-parts.

Just my humble opinion. Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Hi Nick and welcome.
Have you met with Dr. Bitan? I found him to be very straight forward.

I was a Workers Compensation (defendant) and that makes all Dr's. spooky. Dr. Bitan told it the way it was and offered to help me any way he could.

I don't know anything about his success or failures.

It doesn't matter because he has the gift.

Not hearing an objection, motion carried. (is that an ADR joke?)

Best of wishes, Bill
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Hi Nick,

I am located in Seattle too and it seems to me the Seattle doctors are very behind the curve when it comes to ADR. I would be interested to hear from others in Seattle too. Specifically if they know of any doctors conversant in and supportive of ADR.

There was a doctor in Kirkland that once advertised regarding ADR but I was never able to learn much about him. His site is located here:
http://www.oispine.com/subject.php?pn=reginald-knight
His name is Reginald Knight. I know nothing about him or his practice, I just pass this on as a potential lead.

In any event, best of luck in your journey.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM

I had my C5/C6 prodisc in Germany in July 2006. The only negative thing I can say at this point is that it is difficult to get imaging done now, due to the metal.

When I was researching ADR internationally, Germany, Australia, and other countries, I found that Dr. Bertagnoli had done the highest number of Cervical ADRs at that time. That was a major factor for me in my decision.

I hope this is helpful. I wish you the best of luck for a successful outcome.
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?