ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Exclamation ADR ugh!! Thanks for the info....

Thanks for all the advice....not sure about the rfa still and Harrison I pm you. I'm so confused and discouraged still I think I'm getteing the run around but don't really don't know why. Thanks again to all and sorry you all went through the same Heck and for all that still are.
msrudy
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM

And Harrison I had a signature ready to copy and paste have to pace myself cause of the pain cause it was a lot and I tried to make it shorter but my old computer crashed and I lost what I had written.. I will try again but I would like some help thank you
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Exclamation ADR prodisc c revision to fusion question?

Hello all, I am still suffering with this prodisc c. I went to the neuro 7/27/12 and my doc is finally talking about doing the revision to a fusion. My question is can it be done anterior or does it have to be done posterior and or can it be done anterior because he says he can do one level c5c-6 revision to fusion from the front??... any help on this one??
Thanks in advance
msrudy
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Rudy,

I would hesitate to give you any specifics and would just point out the obvious – that you need to find a surgeon that has performed many of these tricky procedures.

Here are a few relevant articles – the first one by a surgeon you may want to contact:

http://www.touchbriefings.com/pdf/1680/mcafee.pdf

Revision open anterior approaches for spine ... [Spine J. 2007 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

Analysis of reoperations after surgical t... [Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Also, search this community. There are, unfortunately, many patients who have had revisions, so pls reach out to them by private message. Search:

ADRSupport Community - Search Forums

I hope this helps some.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Any Updates Ms. Rudy

I haven't posted in a while since my relocation to Vegas. Just working hard and trying to stare forward and not look back. But I do check this site almost daily. Hope everyone is hanging in there well.

Ms Rudy, So Sorry about what you are going through!

I am still hurting everyday. Turning my head or looking up or down or simply holding my head still....= hurts.

The deep ache and pinching is unbearable. I hate the meds (still on 30mg of oxy - 5mg 6x per day- same dose for years). Pain mngt out here is basically write you a script and kick you out of the office to get to the next patient. Any suggestions on adding a medicine on top of the oxy that would help with the pain, but not make me a zombie (tired)? I don't want to just up the oxy above 30mg daily as that will eventually not be sufficient. (remember I am allergic to apap, advil, ibuprofen, aspirin)

I still have not found a routine that helps. If I workout it hurts and weird enough, if I don't exercise the neck hurts even worse! So frustrating to realize that this will be 4EVER.

Ms. Rudy has the revision surgery been scheduled? What are the exact plans? Are they going to remove or just fuse over?

I wish you great luck and pray for you! Keep us posted.

Dustin
702-812-8749
Ruptured C5/C6 June 2010. Rushed into Prodisc surgery July 1, 2010. Month after installation, symptoms came back and new more intense pain. Fought all year for help. July 6, 2011 received fusion-revision on top of Prodisc - John's Hopkins. Numbness went away in hands, but pain still remains. Doctor's all say "Life of Pain Management" forever. Trying to endure life through the fog of pain and meds and procedures. New hope is now Neurotransmitter "TENS" unit implanted into neck at C5/C6.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM

Default after prodisc c

Ah, reading this thread is not relieving my fears. I had the c5c6 prodiscc in May 2012 and am still in a lot of pain most days. I keep on working and pushing and praying, still treating the pain with 5 to 30 mg norco each day. Sometimes it feels so dramatic wondering if it will always hurt like this, but tell myself I am still healing. Reduced to tears after folding a few loads of laundry tonight, and came back here to see what others are experiencing. sigh. I hope you have found some relief. I too have lost the curve in my neck, constant deep dull ache, numbness in thumbs and fingers, stabbing at base of skull and between shoulders. Is that common? Can any exercises or supports restore lordosis? Thanks.
Neurosurgeon recommends fusion or prodisc-c at c5-6
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Zocoma, you are still "only" 6 months out. As you increase your activity level, your facets, ligaments etc. have to get used to the new mechanics. I suppose prodisc-c is more unforgiving at least in this adaptation period than M6 would be given the graded resistance M6 has. This is also why placement is critical in ball and socket ADRs. I am 19 months post op c 6/7 prodisc-c nova (Bertagnoli). I have still some issues and strange sensations but am able to lead a somewhat normal life. I had a long journey before I ended up having the surgery, so my nerves have been taking a hit for years. I also developed a frozen shoulder pre-op which is not helping at all to speed up the recovery. How is your adr placement in the x-rays?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

The initial xrays indicate the prodisc-c is properly placed. I will have flexion and extension images made next week. Other people have told me that 6 months is still early, but the endless pain is rough. I am in somewhat better shape that before and right after surgery, but thought I would be "well" by now. The changing weather seems to make the pain much worse. PT was helping but workers comp denied my last prescription and instead wants to send me to another group that is too far for me to drive. I am managing to make it through work but still not back to full hours and come home and collapse into bed most nights. I was so desperate for relief and my doctor was highly recommended. They say the surgery was successful even though I remain in pain. Dustin, Rudy, I'll be praying you get some relief.
Neurosurgeon recommends fusion or prodisc-c at c5-6
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Zocoma, I can totally relate what you are going through. I had a careful wish that the pain and other symptoms would subside quick and I would totally functioning doing all the sports I wanted (which I had more or less been unable to do for 6 years). I did realize that I might have a long recovery since my history and the fact that i had not bent my spine much for the last year before the surgery. As I said, I also had a frozen shoulder going on.

The surgery improved my pain, but it was nothing miraculous. I had to get used to being on my feet all day and my nerves were still super sensitive. I cut down my medication too quick (3 months post op I was not taking any). I had a setback which I think was part due to the shoulder pulling on my neck. And as said, when I increased my activity levels, my neck started giving me symptoms. Not pain, but strange, disturbing sensations with a feeling of pressure in the head etc. I ended up with bad anxiety periods that lasted days. My doc. put me on clonazepam (told me my autonomic nerves were still confused from the long pain period. I was in fight-or-run-mode), which pretty much took that edge off.

Now as I am nearly 20 months post op, I can look back to what it was 4 months ago, 4 months before that etc. and say I have improved all the time. The setbacks get milder, but still occasionally throw me back mentally to the "dark months". Its like my brain is tricking me. Fortunately setbacks are max a day or two now. I quess it was mentally hard for me to see that even though the surgery did not turn things immediately, it was still possible to heal. I just took the long road.

I think the most assuring is when I see people that I only see few times a year. Every time they tell me I look, sound and move better than last time. Its difficult to notice this slow improvement yourself.

Everyone`s story is different (like my frozen shoulder adding a spice to my recovery). I am happy that I am finally able to work (still part-time). I had to go throgh a rough road for a year after surgery. I do not know what the future holds but I am optimistic. That is very important. Never give up.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Harrison

My question is I am seeing DR Abdulhak at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan to see about removing my Pro Disc C. According to Dr B. my implant was undersized and is subsiding and was placed too far ventral. I do not want a fusion. Any idea whether any of these implants now do not have a keel that I could go to.

Roz