ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:21 AM

Default Appropriate recovery time before return to work?

All,

I am having cervical ADR with Dr. B next month in Bogen. I work as a management consultant (lots of time behind the computer and a fair amount of air travel). What is a reasonable expectation for being able to return back to work for this type of a job from this type of surgery? About 6 weeks?

I am an otherwise healthy 35 y/o male in decent physical condition.

Matt

+ 2 level ADR with Prodisc-C (Nova) performed on 10 Sep 09 (C4-C5 and C5-C6)
+ Surgeon: Dr. Bertagnoli, Hospital: Bogen KKH
+ Patient advocate: Tim Vicknair, European Medical Tourist

+ Previous failed treatments : 6 months PT, chiroprachtic care, and 2 epidural steroid injections
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I know a couple of people who had cervical ADR. It all depends. One was riding a thousand miles on her bike at age 60, 8 weeks after surgery. Everyone is different. I'd say you 'd be ok and may need some pain meds.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Default Cervical Recovery

Hey Matt,

Cervical patients generally recover more quickly than lumbar patients for a long list of reasons. Actually, Dr. B's staff can answer this question quite well. Be sure to ask them this question and get back to us. Who took Alphons' place? Ask them please?!

BTW: this column is almost three years old, but do take a look: Q & A with ProSpine PhysioTherapist on Recovery

Also, since you are likely to have an artificial disc that requires bone cutting (more bleeding than non-keels) into the cervical vertebra, please ask your docs about heterotopic ossification. Some cervical patients are actually prescribed NSAIDs to prevent bone overgrowth, which is a small risk, but worth asking about.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your next steps!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Recommendation

I strongly recommend that if you return to work, you find a way to move regularly, at least change it up every 45 minutes.
Doing this has had a major impact on my recovery and pain management. In addition, it's logical. You have a new neck with metal parts and movement is needed to get the muscles and your body to adapt to the new equipment.
I would be concerned about sitting and looking at a computer for more than an hour at a time. Maybe you could work for a few hours per day?
If not, get at timer and rest every hour for 15 or something. Have a place to lie down.
Good luck.
Dave
Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Thanks

Many thanks for the replies to my question.

Will be sure to share anything that I learn while across the pond at Pro Spine and follow up on heterotopic ossification.

Getting anxious that my surgery is only 7 days away, but looking forward to pain relief.

+ 2 level ADR with Prodisc-C (Nova) performed on 10 Sep 09 (C4-C5 and C5-C6)
+ Surgeon: Dr. Bertagnoli, Hospital: Bogen KKH
+ Patient advocate: Tim Vicknair, European Medical Tourist

+ Previous failed treatments : 6 months PT, chiroprachtic care, and 2 epidural steroid injections