ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Default Game Changer in ADR/TDR

If you are contemplating surgery, please don't ever let a Doctor fuse your vertebrae. Read through this link before making any decision -

https://www.axiomed.com/pdf/WPaperSWISSSpineReg.pdf

I have no dog in this fight, other than I will be getting a multi-level surgery with Dr. Guyer at the Texas Back Institute, once the Freedom Lumbar Disc clears FDA approval.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:35 PM

I had L4-S1 fused 4 years ago.
Im doing fine and wished i had did it earlier.
I had arthritic facets after 2 discectomies so i don't believe ADR would've totally relieved my symptoms. My facets kept locking up.
My MRI's showed DDD but no disc collapse.
Successful facet joint injections and a rhizotomy both pointed to facet pain.
If fusion is done to alleviate a mechanical issue it's a lifesaver.
Please don't lump everyone into fusion is bad..
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 08-27-2018, 12:35 PM

It was nor is my intent to offend.

My post is directed at those in similar situations as myself who DO have a choice. You obviously didn't have that luxury.
I only hope to help inform people against the pitfalls I have experienced with Doctors who only look at a patient as a potential boat payment.
Information is power.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Sorry, i wasnt angry or offended.
But yes information is power and so is being able to self diagnose
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Sometimes fusion is a great option. The techniques have come a longggg way from what I understand. Tiger Woods had his spine fused and is playing elite golf.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:11 PM

I was very surprised to learn of the decision Tiger made. Not only does fusion take away from the total movement potential in a spine, but even more importantly the shock absorption capability in that region suffers, with a high probability of Adjacent Segment Disease.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:24 AM

He probably had experts to tell him what could be done that would give him 5 years left of competitive play and he just went with it. He probably didn't do what was best for him in the long run but what was best for him to keep him playing a little longer and will worry about the back after, the joys of having a big bank account you can do stuff like this
L4-L5
L5-S1
Considering ADR Procedure This Year
Old 09-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Fusion isnt bad if done correct. People talk crap but what really matters is the doctor. Not the disc not the hospital. If u dont have a good mechanic ur doimed for longevity. I laff people goving advice on **** they havent had done wtf?
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 09-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
He probably had experts to tell him what could be done that would give him 5 years left of competitive play and he just went with it. He probably didn't do what was best for him in the long run but what was best for him to keep him playing a little longer and will worry about the back after, the joys of having a big bank account you can do stuff like this

there are plenty of people who have had l5 s1 fusion who have been fine for decades. ASD is a problem, but we make it seem like it affects 50-75% of cases, when in actually symptomatic ASD is a lot less if the fusion is done correctly.