ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:43 AM

Default New here 1st post

Hello,
I am new to this and so glad to have found a community to find support.
I am scheduled July 5, 2016 (yes this Tuesday) for surgery. I am having Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement. I am very nervous about getting home and recovery. The paperwork that Jefferson gives you is for a fusion, but my surgeon said it was important to move after surgery. Any tips on that first week or so. Kinda freaking out...I've never had surgery except to give birth to my sons 20 some plus years ago. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Adrianne
Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Read my post #85. I just wrote it for you. I am at six weeks post surgery.

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...886#post113886
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 07-04-2016, 07:06 AM

Default Thank you

Posted this in the wrong spot still getting the hang of this site. Thank you for the post surgery explanation. I feel that I didn't get allot of information yet from the doctor. Scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning at Jefferson. We've re-arranged the room to make it more accommodating when I get home. I have ice packs ready if needed. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Trying to relax, but my anxiety is off the charts, lol. Thanks again, Adrianne
Old 07-04-2016, 12:17 PM

It sounds like you are staying in the states for your surgery. Who is your surgeon? How many levels are you having done and with what kind of disc?

Wishing you the best. Just do your best to relax...you've almost crossed the finish line!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM

I had a 3 level M6c here in Spain this past Wednesday
I feel great. You should relax and trust that you chose well and have support around you....who speak your language. For me, post recovery therapy has been to avoid painkillers, with exception of the Spanish version of ibuprofen, and a stomach med,. And is to constantly walk outside for miles. Keep a positive attitude, stay flexible, don't pump yourself up with needless release of worry induced chemicals.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Default Best wishes

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13420
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
M6 Artificial disc replacement @l5-s1 Nov 2015, in Canada
June 2016 - still struggling...Physio, accupuncture, massage, counselling...
Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 AM

Hello,
Surgery done on 7/5/16 c 6/7 with prodisc c. I feel pretty good had allot of swallowing issues, but starting to get better. It seems like this forum has allot of negative thoughts on the disc that was used on me which has me a little worried.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up No worries!

Congratulations on your recent surgery! Happy to hear you are on the other side and on the mend.

I wouldn't worry about the disc that you have. The most important criteria for a successful cervical surgery is the surgeon first and since you are doing good than just keep getting better!

There is a lot of debate about the discs but, there have been successful surgeries and failures with all of them. All of us on the Board have opinions and they differ. Even the neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons in the U.S. and Europe all have opinions and they differ. If you have a choice before your surgery, then you can compare and contrast them and add that to your list of decisions but, often people in the U.S. don't have a choice and then it's about finding the best surgeon with the most experience with a particular disc.

For me the decision was made for me, I'm allergic to the metals in the Prodisc and the Mobi-C so, they were not an option. Other than that, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to debate here which one is better when you already have one in you and your goal now is to make the very best of it. Again congratulations and wishing you an amazing recovery!

P.S. If would be great if you feel comfortable sharing the name of your surgeon. Plus, add a signature to your profile when you feel up to it.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:56 PM

Default Best disc

I feel you got the best disc in you so don't worry. Bertagnoli invented it so I hear n he has it in some people for 20 years. I think what people feel is the inventor is cold hearted. But you got to remember there's two sides to every story. I second guessed myself but after knowing the facts I'm quite sure the prodisc while not perfect is the best choice. What we need to remember is operations are not always successful. I do believe the m6 is a lot more placement forgiving but I think you pay for that forgiveness in the long run. Also if you look at a lot of people's films I haven't seen any that are placed well from my point of view.

You have a good twenty good years in your disc so don't worry just pray it was installed correctly and you have no hidden issues. You will be fine.
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Default Update

I haven't written in a while because I feel very down over me surgery. I still have left vocal cord paralysis. I've lost a significant amount of weight d/t not being able to eat. My O2 goes down between 70- 80 when I speak. I have had such a disappointing experience with my surgeon at Jefferson. My experience with Jefferson has been horrid and I have put in a complaint so I am hoping another person does not have this happen to them. The last straw for me was when my dr. took a week to return my phone call and his reason "I had 30 patients to see that day and didn't get home till after 8:00" Now they are having a Dr. Harrop see me for the first time at Jefferson on Thursday. I've been to the er twice because of not being able to breath. I am no longer seeing my surgeon his ego will not allow him to say something went wrong. I am going to see his boss who is taking over my case and I have thyroid CA on the right side which is a big concern because they are talking to me about a temp. trach. I am going on Wednesday to Penn for my consult and maybe they could take over my case. My nerve pain is much better, but I still have neck pain. I am just wondering if anyone has been down this path and if they want too pm for more details I am fine with that. This group has been such a big support for me and I appreciate anyone's insight.
Cervical Spondylosis
Degenerative disc disease
Conservative treatment: therapy, chiropractor, epidural injections
Prodisc C C6/7
ADR 7/5/16