ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Well I am amost 4 months post op and my back has never felt better. I have been active, very active since 2 weeks post op. Walking, working on my house and friends houses, building decks, sheds, painting and ect. all with no pain.
Anyways last week I started getting pain, stiffness and soreness in my ankles when I first get up in the morning or after I have been sitting down for a little while. It is so bad when I first wake up its tough to walk for about 5 minutes. Once I get going the pain and stiffness are gone. I never had this trouble before surgery, never had any ankle injuries and it just came out of no where.
I was told possibly lyme diasese? but I have no evidence of a tick bite.
Any suggestions?

Sean
Charite ADR at L4/L5 and Fusion at L5/S1
Workers Comp paid 100%
Feeling Great!!
Contact me with any questions either o
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Sean,

Sorry about the odd symtoms. Some people have found that new medications (or changes in meds) can produce these kinds of issues. As you may already know, ankle pain could be a symptom of a L4-5-S1 problem (see a dermatome chart).

That being said, I've been corresponding with a small group of patients for the past year, all of whom have experienced complex pain syndromes. None of them had any answers or diagnosis; but five of them have recently tested positive for mycoplasmic and/or Lyme infections.

Since this is very complex, in terms of both diagnosis & treatment, I am planning a conference call with these folks. Let me know if you want to participate in the call (week of June 19th).
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Sean, one other thought: I know it seems odd that you would begin distraction pain after 4 months w/o it, but the ankle pain also sounds alot like the distraction pain many of us experience after surgery. I have never had any ankle problems either, but after my 3 level lumbar, I constantly am dealing w/ the stiffness in my ankles, especially in the evening when I am less active, and first thing in the morning. Just more food for thought.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Hi Richard, I am going to get my blood tested this week for Lyme and possible gout (rule everything out), yes I will join in your conference, just let me know ahead for the day and time, I have been super busy lately. I'll keep you posted when I get my blood results.

CindyLou, That is a great point. I had a very little distraction pain in my thighs for the first week or 2, but it went away very quickly. But who knows it possibly could be more distraction, it sounds exactly like what you have, at night when relaxing and when I first wake up. But once I get going in the day the pain/stiffness in my ankles is 99% gone. Thats why I keep myself busy...lol.
Charite ADR at L4/L5 and Fusion at L5/S1
Workers Comp paid 100%
Feeling Great!!
Contact me with any questions either o
Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Sean,
You may want to read the following section: Lyme Disease Laboratory Testing, Blood Tests.

The patients that I’ve spoken with over the past several years employed different types of blood tests (from many different labs; each with their own methodology) and were found seronegative – for a variety of complex reasons that are discussed within the linked pages (even by the CDC). Most of these folks eventually found different (positive) results from Igenex Labs, also discussed. Bottom line: Lyme testing via blood is still problematic and controversial. Also, a Lyme Disease diagnosis is a clinical diagnosis; a blood test is just part of that complex assessment.

Talk to you soon.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM

hi sean
I had 3 level a.d.r and was told that not only is it distraction pain, but also do to the new alignment of your spine that puts you in a different walking, sitting standing laying etc. stance.You are better aligned but your body has been so use to walking out of alignment to correct your bad posture Good luck to you