ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:15 AM

Frustration and pain !

Frustration and pain are a potent mix! As someone who has had chronic pain for many years, I know that some activities are now out of reach. I’m sure I’m not the only one who, from time to time, feels frustrated at not being able to do everything I’d like to do. We’ve all probably thought at some time, "Why has this happened to me? It's not fair!"

These negative feelings can lower our self-esteem and confidence. We may become resentful, angry or sink into depression. Negative feelings can create real muscle tension, which can lead to yet more pain. They also stop you thinking about how you can help yourself to manage your pain and how to lead a fulfilling and productive life.

There are, however, effective ways to deal with the negative emotions of frustration and anger, here are some of them.

Achieve what you want by different means - there's usually a way around things - or ask yourself if you even need to do it at all!

Change your expectations if they are unrealistic and look for ways of learning from the experience. What would you do differently next time?

Set yourself some simple goals that are within easy reach so that you can achieve success often and easily.

Make some longer term goals to give yourself something to aim for in the future.

Reward yourself when you achieve your goal.

Give yourself treats and pleasurable activities to look forward to, such as listening to music, laughing, having a relaxing candlelit bath, reading a good book, stroking a pet or enjoying a relaxation session. They all boost your endorphins, your body’s own natural pain relievers.

Pace your activities – do a little at a time, then take a break from the activity before the pain increases. Find the best time of day to do your activities.

Find support, from online websites, email friends, local friends and groups - it helps to talk to others in a similar situation.

If it's a person you are frustrated with, try to see things from their point of view.

If it helps, have a rant or scream - into a cupboard or pillow.

Notice and Change: Notice any negative thoughts you have and change them into more constructive, positive thoughts. Tell yourself, "Even though I feel frustrated and angry, I am still a worthwhile person and can still..." Then add in something positive you can do.

Concentrate on what you CAN do and do have in your life now.

Make a long, long list of all the good things in your life plus things you can do and also those things you are grateful for.

Living with chronic pain takes energy, so it’s better to place that energy in productive and enjoyable activities and not waste your limited energy with frustration and anger at your situation.

In the future you may sometimes still feel frustrated at not being able to do what you think you 'ought' to be able to do - but you will have learnt to let the feelings go and to move on to more productive thoughts and activities. The ideas here will prove to be a wonderful support to you. They will improve your mood, boost your confidence and self-esteem and make for a more peaceful, productive and enjoyable life.

© Jan Sadler 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOOL KIT - If you liked this idea why not keep it in your Tool Kit notebook or folder of self-help pain relief methods. If you haven't started one yet, why not keep a special notebook or folder as your Tool Kit to remind you of techniques and skills for coping with pain. Your Tool Kit is especially useful when pain flares up. It will help prevent panic and fear and give you constructive ideas to focus upon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORDS OF WISDOM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fire of anger burns you first.
- - Brahma Kumaris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND FINALLY...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The manager of an office wants to motivate his staff so he puts up a sign saying "THINK" above the basin in the staff restroom.

Upon returning he finds a new sign above the dispenser saying "THOAP".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep smiling!

I hope you find the above ideas useful. If you would like more information on any of the items above plus more ideas for pain relief, please go to the website below or contact me for details of my CDs, tapes and books which contains many more methods for relaxation, pain and stress relief.

Jan at PainSupport
www.painsupport.co.uk
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/