ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Be wary of getting ADR with facet issues

Bob,

Many on this site criticize Stenum (and with reason), though people like Terry and I had our ADR surgery done successfully there. One thing I will mention is that they do not look at the condition of your facet joints, and do not seem to care. Their solution to all patients with DDD is ADR surgery, they never discussed my facets (or with any of the other patients in my group). I have seen people on this board that got ADR surgery with facet arthropathy and greatly lived to regret it, as their post surgery pain was so bad they were forced to have the implant removed. If you stateside doctor has recommended not having ADR because of the condition of your facets, don't expect Stenum to let that stop them.

In my humble opinion, you need further consultations. Dr. Zeegers and Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany seem to be more thorough than Stenum and will look at your facets, though unlike many on this board I don't know that their skills at implanting artificial discs are any better than the surgeon I had at Stenum (who has done over 1,300 ADR surgeries). You can also talk to some ADR surgeons stateside, not with the plan of using them (as the cost will be much higher than Germany and their experience may be less) but to have them take a closer look at your facet joints and see if that will exclude you from ADR. I have never heard of Stenum turning anyone down due to facet joint issues. I feel that Terry and I dodged a bullet on that one, but you have the chance to be proactive here and avoid that by getting multiple opinions.
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 PM
mango

Default Stenum or more

hi bob their are other dr in Germany look At all your options, I also Sent all my info to Stenum an wating for a reply? I cant wait to hear what they recommend compared to Dr B and Dr Z Keep me posted Gil
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

"... I feel that Terry and I dodged a bullet on that one, but you have the chance to be proactive here and avoid that by getting multiple opinions..."

Charles, well said. Your seasoned perspective and choice of words says things that I can not -- though I've tried. Glad to see you post again, I hope you are doing well.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 AM

Chalres & Mango,

Thanks for the input. Actually I've been looking into a course of action on the facet arthropathy. I'm having a series of epidural injections today treating every possible pain generator point, facet joints included.

We decided to use this process of elimination to pinpoint the problematic area(s). Both my pain management and family doctors have suggested this and are urging me to reject the offers of fusion so I have a higher degree of trust in them. They both seem to want a real solution.

When I asked for the Stenum DVD, I was just investigating a possibilty. I'm still gathering information for possibilities. Besides, it was free and I needed to expand my horizons beyond Beverly Hillbillies reruns (Irene Ryan was HOT!!!).

Being mechanically inclined, the disc they implant has a better placed axis or center of rotation. Since the axis is more to the posterior side, theoretically it would put less pressure on the facet joints and give more of a balanced center of rotation. At least that's my opinion for now. I'll adjust that when more info comes my way.

So keep the info flowing! I appreciate the input!

Bob
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM

Epidural this morning. Percocet tonight. The pain management doctor is okay with our continued therapies of every 3 or 4 months.

As long as it relieves or lessens the pain and nothing deteriorates more rapidly I guess I can hold out until I find a doctor that is willing to address all the issues individually.

Last edited by trkdoc714; 11-21-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Richard,

I may give you a call tomorrow. The epidural this morning was uneventful and based on past injections, I won't feel a pain reduction for a few days.

I seem to be stuck in an area of the country where all the doctors want to take the easiest route for them and short term relief for me.

Thanks for putting this forum together,

Bob

Last edited by trkdoc714; 11-21-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinCharge View Post
Bob,
Many on this site criticize Stenum (and with reason), though people like Terry and I had our ADR surgery done successfully there. Their solution to all patients with DDD is ADR surgery,
Hi Charles,

Just to add a clarifier about Stenum. They do fusions as well, when they think they are necessary. I have met three women who live within an hour of me who had very successful surgeries there this year, and one of them had a fusion as well as ADR.

While they have had their problems, from what I have read on this forum, they have given other six people, who are not on here, but whom I have spoken to, a new lease on life. Thankfully one was able to get her story in the newspaper, where I saw it, and it started me on my journey to ADR land ;-) I still do not know where I will end up. but I will be eternally grateful for what they have done for a few people who have now become friends.

I am still investigating all my options, and may well have found another doctor on the west coast, if I lose my battle with the evil insurance .....

trkdoc, I hope you and your wife can keep each other going. At least you both understand what the other is going through. And please don't shorten your posts!

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 PM
mango

Default Epidural is a blast Of fun !

Hi Bob
I know you had a challenging day and like to know how things are working .
I Had MRI on my neck to see if the disc there are good or in question. One Day At A Time. ODAAT, See you soon Gil
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM

The epidural was uneventful but tonight I'm sore. I'm taking 30mg Percocet daily now but usually drop off to 7.5 to 15 after injections. The soreness lasts a few days but keeps me mobile for several weeks.

How did your MRI go? I actually enjoy those as I nap through the process (I have a 2 year old so it's quieter in the "tube".)

I just finished sending my background to DRs B & Z. Once I get copies of my MRIs, X-Rays, CT Scan and EMG, I'll forward them on too.

Good luck on the results of the MRI.

Bob
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 PM
mango

Default The nap Was super Loud

Hey bob

The Nap, was to loud for a nap, Lumber area is much better for a nap. I could not even hear the music Quiet Jazz.

ODAAT Talk Soon Gil