ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Maddie,

My wife just started having symptoms in the past year. Unfortunately she now understands the type of pain I've been in and the frustration of the mis-diagnosis that our providers are giving us.

We both share in taking care of the two year old splitting duties according to our abilities. That's where luck smiles on me as I can't bend over to change the dirty diapers......

I hope you get the answers you're hoping for from your carrier.

Bob
Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Charles,

I looked through my file last night since sleep wasn't going to happen. My original surgeon told me that, in his opinion, the arthropathy in both levels were the result of the loss in disc height and the pressure that causes on the facets below the DDD level.

I've sent basic information to DRs B and Z. Once I get my pictures copied, I'll send those as well. That's my project for next week.

On a technical side note; I used to work at my company's engineering center (we build trucks) and they're using computer aided design techniques to build trucks anticipating various load and service requirements. I wonder why someone hasn't developed a program to "record" a patient's movement via X-Rays, MRIs and CTs and enter them into a computer to show a surgeon exactly what's happening from a dynamics standpoint (which is where all of my surgeons have a foresight issue).

We took trucks on a 10-15,000 mile trip, recorded every bump, twist or vibration, fed the data into a computer and watched the impact on the real chassis on a test rack as well as on a "big screen". This has enabled trucks to be designed for longevity well beyond 1,000,000 miles.

Stepping off the soapbox now. I hope you continue to do well. Thanks for "listening".

Bob
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default Good Idea on the Smart Disc...

Bob, an artificial disc was developed several years ago that incorporates a tranducer that measures all the dynamic loads. I can't recall how it transmits all the data to the the computer -- maybe RF? Any way, I found it odd that this was the attribute being "marketed," rather than the durability or design of the artificial disc. I think the article is in the Article Library...

Found it, the Theken disc...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Smart disc

Richard,

I remember reading about that disc during one of the recuperation periods after the discectomies. I can see a value of being able to track the physical motions of the patient to pinpoint problem areas after implantation but it seems a little late at that stage. I wonder how many revision surgeries that device would lead to?

The program I was refering to was a CAD simulator putting thousands of miles on a truck in an afternoon, measuring stress levels and the effects on the section modulus/ RBM of various structures. I was only musing about the possibilty of a similar program to diagnose a spinal structure's actual motion to properly treat the effected area of the spine. I would think that could take the "guesswork" out of, as in my case, an arthritic facet joint was going to be inpacted by and ADR or if it could've been the cause of the disc failure(s).

My opinionof the medical community is they don't have time to properly use all of the information available since the FDA and insurance companies are severely limiting proceedures and treatments. I'd imagine trying to wind their way through the FDA red tape and dodging the insurance companies investigators is a taxing workload in itself. No wonder they rush us through with fusions and diagnosis "light". I've read all these stories about the battles the Forum's patients go through with insurance coverages and just getting permission to get the right tests and that's only the start of the battle. It's no wonder these doctors take the easy way out. There's not enough manhours to do battle with all the red tape agencies needed to do the job right.

(I'm going to need a ladder to get off this soap box, aren't I?).

Sorry for the rant,

Bob
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 PM

Bob,
I agree, doctor's have so much other stuff going on, malpractice, insurance and the FDA. Not to mention, they get less money per visit (once you take out the ever rising malpractice insurance premiums, nurses, office staff, rent, etc). It is really, sadly enough, not worth their time to find out what is wrong with you. It is easier to send you for a test, do a shot, write a script, or in my case, refer you out. Very frustrating.
Sounds like you and your wife have similar problems as my husband and I (although his is not hurting currently). When our now almost 3 year old was born, he was in a lot of pain and in the "hunt" for what was wrong with him. When she was 2 weeks old, I was in my accident and joined him in my own search. He had an MRI and then an injection and was good for 6 months. His second injection has 'worked' since then (he still has episodes; but not chronic pain). Not a lot of fun, having pain and little kids that need lots of lifting, bending, and so on.
Best of Luck,
Kathy
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Default It can be

We work together pretty well. She's at the beginning of her issues and has been able to draw off of my experiences. I'm gathering insurance info now and she has coverage through her employer and has mine as secondary. She also works at home so that's a load of stress we don't have.

As soon as we teach Sean to change his own diapers, we'll be set........

I hope your back heals itself, but if not, I hope you find relief. I'm glad your husband's pain subsided. Let's hope it stays that way.

Bob