ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Default Has anyone tried Spinal Decompression?

Surgeon is recommending ADR for L4/5, L5/S1 and C5/6 and was wondering as anyone had any sucess with spinal decompression? I called genesis spine associates yesterday and really like what I heard. Seems like there are pros/cons no matter what procedure you choose.

Sep/Oct 08 - Lower back pain started no reason.
Oct-Dec 08 - Chiropracter care. No improvement.
Jan 09 - Lumbar MRI - L4/5, L5/S1 - disc dehydration, broad basded disc bulge, annual tear.....
May 09 - Surgeon recommended ADR L4/5, L5/S1, C5/6 -Thoriac and Cervical MRI - Thoriac good. Submitted insurance and approved for ADR.

Last edited by longroadahead; 05-07-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add history data.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 AM

What does the decompression consist of? I haven't really heard too much about it?

Just out of curiousity, who is your insurance? And if it isn't to personal, can I get any of the approval info from you to prepare myself for appeals that I'm sure I'm going to have to go thru?
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"
May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM

I think decompression consists of, in general terms, removing bone or disc material to take pressure off of the nerve roots. A lot of procedures could be considered decompression, discectomies, laminectomies, etc.
04/07 Recurrent Disc L5/S1
4 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 5 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 L4/5 & L5/S1 Maverick disc at Stenum
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Decompression is removing the pressure from a nerve

trkdoc is precisely correct. There are many causes of back & neck pain, but the three most common are 1) Stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal, putting pressure on the spinal cord and surrounding nerves), 2) Bulging/Herniated disc (where the disc puts pressure on the nerve root), and 3) Degenerative Disc Disease (where the disc itself degenerates and causes pain without even touching the surrounding nerves).

If a nerve is being compressed, they can do a "decompression" to remove whatever is pressing on the nerve (bone spur, bulging disc, etc.). This might be a Microdiscectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminectomey, etc.---it just depends what is pressing on the nerve and what approach they take to remove it. The theory is the same with all of them, and these days it is usually a minimally invasive surgery.
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM

so really, decompression is just a general term. My discecetemies could have been considered decompressions?
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM

As far as insurance, I didn't have to do anything. The hospital (Southwestern Medical Center) in Dallas handled everything.

Spinal Decompression that I am talking about is a form of computer-controlled, intermittent motorized or hydraulic traction used as treatment for disc herniations, sciatica and low back pain.

The theory behind non-surgical spinal decompression is that significant distractive forces, when applied to the lumbar spine in variable directions can create a negative pressure in the center of the intervertebral disc, thereby creating a suctioning effect or vacuum phenomenon in order to retract or reduce the size of the herniated or bulging disc's gelatinous internal nucleus pulposus, thus diminishing or eliminating nerve compression, while at the same time creating an osmotic gradient which helps bring nutrients and water into the disc. Since intervertebral discs have poor circulation, they depend upon receiving their nutrition through diffusion across the end plates of the vertebrae above and below.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-sur..._decompression

Have an appointment on Tuesday (5/12) with Genesis Spine Associates. They will go over my MRI, etc. with me for no charge http://www.genesisspine.com/.

2009 MRI, Bilateral SI Joint Injection, PT, L4/5 Bi Lateral Facet Injection

2010 Acupuncture, Discogram, L4/5 and L5/S1 Bi Lateral Facet Injection, PT, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 Fibrin Sealant Injections

2011 Right leg pain started mainly with movement of the leg.

Last edited by longroadahead; 05-07-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling. add another link...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Decompression

Look up I beleive the DRX-9000. This is a device on which you lie down and between your arms and torso there are two cushioned vertical tubesto hold your upper body in position. A belt device is wrapped around your body above your iliac crest and attached to a machine located at your feet. The theory is to gently stretch your spine as would happen if you were laying down supine sleeping. This is done to help move the disc(s) back into position in the spinal column between the vertebrae. Since you are stretched numerous times in a session you are simulating what your body "normally" does when you are at rest. Many insurance companies do not cover this procedure.
Discogram 10FEB08
ADR Prodisc L 10JUN08
Discogram 08APR09 for gnawing 3+ pain when sitting results negative
Facet injection L4/5 upcoming 03JUN09 Cancelled because pain is subsiding
Follow up on 01JUL09 with Dr. D
Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Traction

Yes, we’ve talked about traction of all different kinds before – here are a few relevant topics:

DRX 9000?

drx9000 vs inversion vs surgery

Distraction: VAX-D 2008, suburban chiropractic practice N=296 Prospective

Anyone tried the "Cox Thechnic"? It's working!!!

Traction can be as simple as hanging from a chin-up bar, or using an inversion table. Whether pre or post-op, be careful! Since I am almost 5 years post op, I hang and do chin-ups a few times a week. My back is great, thank God!

BTW: The treatments with the 9000 are not cheap; several hundred dollars each time. Another method (cheaper way to go if you have insurance) is getting PT, as most therapists are trained in applying traction with a special harness.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Default DRX-9000 - A scam

It should be noted that the company that patented and sold the DRX-9000 was sued by a number of people that paid thousands of dollars for treatment and never got better, and they had an "F" rating by the Better Business Bureau. There are some limited cases where traction and stretching the spine can help, but those are for patients who have minor back problems. If you have one of the 3 items I listed above, traction and non-surgical decompression is very unlikely to work. The company that marketed the DRX-9000 was sued for false marketing, fraud and many other things, and went out of business. They claimed their machine could help anyone with back pain, which is a load of crap. I would advise that you get a definitive diagnosis of what is causing you back pain BEFORE you undergo any non-surgical decompression. Like Harrison said, many insurance companies will not pay for it and some people have actually reported being in MORE pain after the treatments, not in less pain.
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM

I always see that old guy advertising that inverter thing on tv and wonder if it really does anything....