ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Default REAL SUCCESS STORIES Anyone??

I'm still a newbie here and trying to figure out the best way to handle my back issues and ADR seems the most sensible way. However I've only seen maybe one or two complete success stories amongst tons of problems requiring long term meds redo surgeries etc. I guess I'm asking if anyone out there could come forward and give us a little update or tell us that things are back to normal???
Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 PM

I see lots of folks on here who are doing great.

But, more to the point, what are you defining as "success". For example, cfbugsbunny had to go back to Dr. Clavel for further surgery, but that was for a lumbar issue that was the result of an injury AFTER the first cervical surgery. So I would call that a success, rather than repeat surgeries. Vicky in Florida is doing great as well.

I don't have empirical data, but it seems to be that more people are doing well than not. At least those that go overseas (not to Stenum though).
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM

Default success story

Boxer,

I am one of the many success stories from ADR surgery. Nearly 4 years ago, I ignored the rumor mill and had a two level Lumbar ADR surgery at Stenum. Although I suffer a little nerve damage (5-10%) in my right leg, it was tested at that 2 years prior to surgery and I knew it wasn't realistic to think it could be reversed. A slight limp is all I have as a result.

Since surgery, I returned to work full time and was top producer for the last 3 years. I've been able to be a dad to my now 6 year old son and we have an active lifestyle. I started skydiving again in 2011.

A few months ago, I had to pick my car up at the shop which is about 2 miles away. My wife was on the other side of town so I walked cross country to get it. I made the 2 1/2 mile hike in 20 minutes and had no ill effects afterward.

There are several people I know of that stop participating in forums like this since they've healed enough to get back into life full time.

For those that single out surgeons they know only by rumor and not direct experience, take it from me, there are great surgeons on most of the continents.

Good luck in your journey,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc L5/S1
4 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 5 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 L4/5 & L5/S1 Maverick disc at Stenum
Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Real success

I define success as no meds no restrictions no repeat surgeries etc. I havnt seen many of these maybe 2 tops. I've seen people w fusion who are back in the gym full tilt!! I also feel like this regaining of disc height causes huge problems. Gaining an inch of height suddenly is guaranteed to cause havoc and I can't figure out why these discs don't come in different heights etc. idk I'm rambling but I guess time will tell
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM

My recovery has just been just awesome!!!! I need to post an update I guess. Quick version is I can now run 5 miles 4-5 days a week, work in very physically demanding job sometimes multiple 16 hr days back to back, sit and stand as long as I care to, play all non contact sports ( anticipating getting released to play hockey again after my 1 year anniversary!! ), no meds whatsoever!!! So, yes, there are many success stories out there we just have to remind ourselves to take a break from enjoying living a normal life to post every once in a while. Feel free to ask any questions that you like or PM me if you want to.
2012-5th & 6th Dr. Opionion=ADR
Dexa Scan
Metal Alergy Test
May 17, 2012---L4/5 ADR, M6-L, Dr. Clavel
Barcelona Spine Center
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Adr

This is the kinda stuff I need to hear!!! I just feel like a prisoner in my own body w this and need some reassurance! I've been an athlete my whole life and fell in love w combat sports many years ago and just want it back. And when people define success by being able to walk a little bit wo pain it basically means they are disabled. Keep the stories coming thank you!!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Boxer,
The questions you pose above are legitimate. I'm in the same boat you are, and each of us on this board are somewhere in the process of answering these same questions.
Recently I had a long talk with my best friend about this, you know the best friend that has no problem calling you out on your bull****? It was his take that I needed to approach this by making a list of all my questions and researching to find the answers. then I have to figure out how they all fit into my desired outcome.
I know that I will never be 100% again. Which is really hard to swallow. But will I be better/happier if I get to 80%? Will I be elated if I get to 90%? I don't know frankly.
The chronic pain, mixed with the masking drugs doesn't let you even know WHERE you are on that path. I feel like I'm 50% of the *old* me. But maybe I'm 40% or 70% who knows?
Each of us has to go down this path differently. I'm choosing to get my answers, decide if I *think* the odds of improvement are worth it, then I'm gonna jump in headfirst and do everything in my power to make it work. Because anyone will tell you it won't work if you believe it won't.

Just my $.02
Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
I define success as no meds no restrictions no repeat surgeries etc. I havnt seen many of these maybe 2 tops. I've seen people w fusion who are back in the gym full tilt!! I also feel like this regaining of disc height causes huge problems. Gaining an inch of height suddenly is guaranteed to cause havoc and I can't figure out why these discs don't come in different heights etc. idk I'm rambling but I guess time will tell
They do come in different heights and sizes. Also, I am trying to stretch my muscles as much as possible. My theory is that because we are so tight, and not bendy our muscles freak out because they can't move that far yet, even though it is the correct height.

I'll let you know how that works out.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Default Adr

Mike I agree totally and have spent 11 months in burning pain researching everything from spine anatomy to surgical approaches etc which led me here. My biggest issue is the regaining of disc height which simply stretches every nerve muscle ligament tendon etc causing serious damage which in my estimation thousands have never recovered from. But on a positive note this site is the best thing that's happened to me during this journey
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Threads

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f47...ro-disc-11850/

Hey Boxer, read my posts....I'm four months post surgery and doing well. I think it's important to remember with ADR that in order for good results you need to be a good candidate.
What's causing the pain?
How's overall spine health other than the problem area, facets etc.
General health and fitness?
Good bone density?
You need a great surgeon with experience at ADR (has done several hundred prior ADR surgeries)
Many opinions? I had 5 surgeons agree that I needed ADR (in fact I had a fusion surgeon tell me he won't fuse me and recommended ADR)
Correct body weight?
Motivated to rehab?

I went into my surgery quite fit and I believe it's helped me recover. I'm working out 5 days a week, sleeping pain free and on NO pain killers and living life with my wife and two sons.

I'm also close to signing off on this form as its time for me to move on.

Best of luck,

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L