ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Default Adr

I fully agree on being motivated and in decent shape as these were key for my 100% recovery for acl reconstruction surgery but this has so many variables disc surgeons etc so ur recovery may have nothing to do with you if doc screws up. I had a doc in NYC tell me he wouldn't do anything for me because I'm to young???? So wtf am I supposed to do??
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Hi Boxer 78,
It is easy to get stuck on one particular problem it really can drive you nuts. All the infos can be a little bit much. I recall that I had the same question until I saw a video on ADR. The surgeon had different sizes of molds (look a like discs) to figure out what real size disc he needs. That answered my question. In the end it is important to know if you are, in fact, a good candidate for ADR. Second, it is important to find a surgeon who has done ADR's A LOT (with great rewiews)! You probably have to follow up with physical therapy afterwards because you have a different dynamic. Muscels you havn't used in a while or overused have to recover. So, for me I consider myself a success. I'm not on any pain meds and I can function in my daily live without pain but I still go to PT to strengthen my muscles. Wish you all the best on your journey.
Claudia
All my symtoms are GONE!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Default reminder

Boxer,

The distraction pain you mention isn't all that harmful. Lifting the vertabae back to their natural height is primary in freeing up nerve roots. You're not doing any damage but the longer you've been at a reduced height, the chances are the distraction pain will last a bit longer. I gained nearly an inch back in height that took me back to the nearly the height I was at in my 20s.

The surgeon had several disc heights to choose both levels to better space the facets to reduce the chance of facet issues down the road. I have the Maverick discs. I'm not sure if they're being used anymore but at the time, the M6 wasn't past the EU testing. Just a few weeks earlier, the surgeon that operated on me implanted the first M6L in Germany.

The distraction type pain lasted around 5-6 months but decreased in severity as time went on. The pain was minimal compared to the nerve pain prior to surgery.

Mike's experiences mirror mine. You find out who you really are and who your true friends are when you go through this invisible suffering.

Good luck.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc L5/S1
4 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 5 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 L4/5 & L5/S1 Maverick disc at Stenum
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Adr

Thx everyone huge help!! Im gonna try to stay petient until I can speak to clavel and pick his brain.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Hi Boxer, I have to chime in here. I am now 5 months post surgery, and I consider my 3 level of ADR a complete success. I have been off pain meds for about 2 months now, and I have not felt my back at all for 3.5 months, at least. I am back to doing physical work (carpentry) full time, and aside from minor muscle pain in my legs, I have no complications.
I gained an inch from the implants, and yes, I had pain until everything settled into place, (its hard to imagine spending years in pain and not using a lot of muscles as one should, that recovery will be easy), but with Massage and PT, I am now doing awesome!!
Like a few have mentioned here already, making sure you are a candidate and picking the proper surgeon are extremely important.
I also believe that your state of mind will influence your outcome. If you go into this thinking that you might/will not have a great outcome, then, chances are, it will go as you think it will. You need to have convinced yourself that you are going to come out of this better than you were before.
I wish you all the best and may you have results like I am experiencing.

18 years of back pain.
Numerous x-rays
CT scans 2002 & 2010 showing disc herniation at L5-S1
MRI in 2012 showing DDD L3-S1
Scheduled for fusion here in Manitoba later in 2012 ( never did)
Went to Germany for 3 level ADR (M6) L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 in late Sept 2012
3 months later, I feel Awesome!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 AM

There are far more success stories on here than not, I think.

PLUS, I think it is worth going with someone like Dr. Dare or Dr. Clavel who offer an insurance policy if something goes wrong. (Dr. Dare's isn't an insurance policy per se, but if anything goes wrong during your hospital stay it is covered at no additional charge).

One of the questions I asked Dr. Clavel (and I think it bears asking of ANY doc you are consulting with) is "What if something goes wrong?"

Their answer will tell you volumes.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Dr.Bierstedt has a insurance policy for the hospital stay too, it cost 200 Euro.
All my symtoms are GONE!