ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 AM

Default Who here went through the TX back institute in Plano for their surgery?

Id like to know how long you were held up with the Psyche process before being allowed to get a surgery date scheduled. And Id like to know if you were also told "you may not be a surgical candidate" type non sense as a result of your psyche test results. I have found that one other member here was told the same thing but was ultimatley waived on for surgery.

6/08- Disco results- C6/7 painful, C5/6 popping sounds

7/08- Plasma disc decompression-significant relief obtained

11/08- pain returned to almost pre surgical levels

1/09 -Disco w/ Dr Ziglar shows C5/6 & C6/7 painful-2 level ADR recommended

2/26/09 - c4-c7 ADR Prodisc Nova with Dr Bertagnoli. 100% Success but need C6/7
ADR revision due to subsidence.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 AM

I'll pipe in...

I was told that I had not passed my psych exam and couldn't have surgery. I then had to do bio-feedback or hypno therapy to get the go ahead. I did 2 bio-feedback sessions, then the man that did them left for another job. I refused to do hyno-therapy (religious beliefs and I did not feel comfortable letting someone have 'control' or 'strong power of suggestion' over my mind). Anyway, so I then had to meet the therapist and talk about my current state of mind. I was then cleared for surgery. I honestly think that this is done for money. Want surgery? See our TBI therapist for 5-7 visits ($$$$) and then you can have it done. I am sure some insurances require it and it covers their backside if it turns out someone was not of sound mind and they had surgery done (that way they can say they did everything they could to check the person out).

Anyhow, according to them, "people who are depressed going in to surgery, don't have as good of outcomes, or not good at all outcomes, versus people who are not depressed. I think that is a crock ! I was never depressed, 25 years of living, never depressed. 3 years of chronic pain, 24/7, yeah I'm depressed. Yeah, I've just wanted to check out before (don't want to die, just sleep through this nightmare, or be really, really drugged, where I don't give a hoot). Sad thing is, I even lied about the severity of my depression, saying it wasn't that bad, and I STILL flunked. I think the worse part was, the psychologist didn't even let on that she was not giving me the go ahead. So then, I see the first surgeon (not using him); and he says, and I quote "I know this is hard to hear about yourself.... I will not do surgery on you until you get approval from the psychologist... We don't have good outcomes with people who have psychological problems... Surgery won't fix depression..." and on and on.

I was crying my eyes out, didn't see this coming and he just keeps blabbing. I left more depressed than I came in, I was ready to jump off a cliff. After crying for a couple of hours, I pulled it together and called the pyschologist to see what the heck was going on. She then says that their is a reason he is a surgeon and not a psychologist and that I just needed to learn some skills to cope with the pain. Anyways, I'm thinking, if someone was really unstable and had someone talk to them like that man talked to me, it could definitely push them over the edge. I mean, this is my last ditch effort and that man just sucked the hope out of it. I left thinking that I was at the end of my road and would have to live in pain forever... that's depressing. If they are so damn worried about your psychological well being, they need to train their people to be more sensitive to you. Oh, and that jerk of a surgeon practices out of TBI in Denton and Plano.

Last edited by Toebin; 01-14-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 AM

Default Lol

Well Kaybear, I guess its the price we are willing to pay to get access to one of the very best surgeons in the country. LOL. I too felt insulted and belittled when I was also told "We cant treat you because you are messed up". LOL. I guess its standard protocol there. I sure hope someone else who went to TBI can chime in and let us know if they were threatened with this too. If it wasnt for this leading to a surgery date with Dr Ziglar, I wouldnt be sticking around for this nonsense.

I mean, we are in severe pain , and even IF we did have depression or anxiety or so called "Psyche issues" as per their tests, do we not deserve to get treated? When you think about it, to say that tests show that you would not be a successful surgical outcome IMPLIES that the pain is in all in your head. When someone tells you that or implies that, you just want to shoot them! LOL. If its not insulting, I dont know what is. I mean, if the discogram and other physical tests positively identify the bad disc/pain generator, how is it that psyche issues will interfere with successfully fixing a physical problem??? Hell, if I am depressed, at least let me be depressed without having to have all this pain to boot. LOL. ABout the only thing that did make sense was when she said there was a concern about me because my previous doctor's assistant wrote on my charts that I was uncooperative after my plasma disc decompression surgery. (which is a crock dung! Too long to explain that story here).

At least that bit of her explanation does make sense becuase if you have a patient who doesnt cooperate with the doctor's after surgery instructions, then yes, that would perhaps indicate a higher risk of a non successful outcome. Nevertheless, Im shocked that such a reputable institution is putting people through this crap. I already found out at another back board that 70% of other doctors patients never went through a psyche test of any kind, much less be told "You are not a candidate for surgery due to Psyche reasons so we will not help you". Its completely FUBAR! I have to believe they will realize the insanity of all this and either discontinue it in its current practice or at least make it to where the psyche part is a tool for helping one prepare for surgery rather than piss people off by telling them they are psychologically unqualified to be helped. Again, FUBAR!

6/08- Disco results- C6/7 painful, C5/6 popping sounds

7/08- Plasma disc decompression-significant relief obtained

11/08- pain returned to almost pre surgical levels

1/09 -Disco w/ Dr Ziglar shows C5/6 & C6/7 painful-2 level ADR recommended

2/26/09 - c4-c7 ADR Prodisc Nova with Dr Bertagnoli. 100% Success but need C6/7
ADR revision due to subsidence.

Last edited by Toebin; 01-14-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: language