ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Post Vitamins and Herbs for Pre and Post-op Surgery

This info is from one of my favorite books, Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyliss A. Balch. These nutrients are helpful in preparing your body for surgery as well as post-op healing. You can get the specifics (dosing, vendors and recommendations) in the book – which is on Amazon or your local library.

- Acidophilus
- Coenzyme Q10
- Essential fatty acids
- Free form amino acid complex
- Garlic
- L-Cystine
- L-Glutamine
- L-Lysine
- Methylsulfonyl-methane (MSM)
- Multi-complex with A and careteinoids
- Grapeseed extract or Pycnogenol
- C with flavonoids
- E and E oil
- K
- Zinc
- Calcium
- Silica
- D

Herbs:

- Herbal teas
- Alfafa, dandelion, nettle
- Bromelain
- Turmeric
- Burdock and red clover
- Echinacea
- Goldenseal
- Kelp, reishi, St. John’s wort (may protect against radiation effects)
- Milk thistle
- Pau d’arco
- Rose hips
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Serotonin Syndrome and muscle pain

I came across some interesting info about serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include muscle pain, stiffness, tremors, anxiety, sleep disorders and blood pressure fluctuations. Many pain medications especially Tramadol and oxycodone raise serotonin. Caffeine, chocolate, eggs, whole grains and many other foods also bump it up along with sunlight exposure. Combining certain medications can raise it up exponentially such as pain meds and antidepressants. Even magnesium supplements raise it up. I noticed after drinking coffee, eating figs, chocolate, Swiss cheese and eggs along with taking a half a hydrocodone in one day that my myelopathy symptoms seem to become much worse with extreme stiffness and tremors. I cut back on anything that raised serotonin and my symptoms subsided in about 48 hours.
Serotonin overload can also cause impulsive behavior such as binge eating or shopping.
MRI showed signal change in cord. Steroids cooled it down. Have been offered a fusion a dozen times.
Still refuse to fuse.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
I came across some interesting info about serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include muscle pain, stiffness, tremors, anxiety, sleep disorders and blood pressure fluctuations. Many pain medications especially Tramadol and oxycodone raise serotonin. Caffeine, chocolate, eggs, whole grains and many other foods also bump it up along with sunlight exposure. Combining certain medications can raise it up exponentially such as pain meds and antidepressants. Even magnesium supplements raise it up. I noticed after drinking coffee, eating figs, chocolate, Swiss cheese and eggs along with taking a half a hydrocodone in one day that my myelopathy symptoms seem to become much worse with extreme stiffness and tremors. I cut back on anything that raised serotonin and my symptoms subsided in about 48 hours.
Serotonin overload can also cause impulsive behavior such as binge eating or shopping.
Now I know why I have been shopping a lot. Between the tramadol, Cymbalta, wellbutrin and chocolate, it probably has my serotonin shooting off the roof.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM

Default eggs cheese?

I eat these every day! Yikes!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 10-18-2015, 12:19 PM

Default Pre-op herbs??

I am 2.5 weeks out from my Second cervical surgery this year. I have been instructed by my surgeon and my primary care Dr (who is not a naturopath but has a solid foot in both modern/natural medicine) to stop turmeric 10 days preop because of its blood thinning properties. There was a long list of herbs to avoid, but this one applied to me. Just an FYI.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015