ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:08 AM

Default hand knee hip pain, thyroid, diet and vitamins

This is my first official post and I am throwing alot of different subjects out there at the same time but here goes.

I noticed on a different thread that some members seem to have thyroid problems. My disk problems started around the same time as my thyroid problems (was hyper thyroid, had radiation treatment, became hypo thyroid, must now take synthroid.) My grandmother also has thyroid and disk problems that began around the same time.

Is it a common problem for us DDD peoples to have lots of inflammation in other joints like knees hips and hands? I have four cervical hernias and one lumbar hernia and many bulging disks. I have asked several health professionals about this and get very differnent answers.

Lastly, has anyone ever found any research done on where DDD comes from besides the obvious genetic likelyhood? I mean things like vitamin deficiency and that sort of thing. ADR is hopeful sure but I have so many messed up disk and I want the rest of them to hold up.

Alot of questions I know but I'm sure you all understand my quest for answers.

Laura
Old 04-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Good question Laura -- but a toughie! I think it may be coincidental in many cases, but I dunno. I did learn recently that the parathyroid glands secrete hormones that help the body maintain calcium balance ...what a complex process that is!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Hi Laura,
Here'what the docs say - most people have some DDD as they age. But they don't know much about osteoarthritis, which is basically the degeneration of joint tissue and the deterioration of the bone.Everyone has different joints degenrating and different pain levels relative to joint damage; it's still really a mystery. For me, I have OA in knees, fingers, neck, back, foot...

I went to a lecture on meds by a University of Alberta rheumatologist last week and he suggested taking 1500 mg of glucosamine sulphate daily, at least until the study being done on it ny the NIH is complete and we find out if it really is useful.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM

The thyroid and other disorders...everything coming along at the same time is related to time...therefore aging.

To preserve the rest of the spine is to keep the spinal muscles strong, keep up with calcium and joint formuals is what would be my advice.

Laura
Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi Laura:
Thyroid disease and degenerative discs run through my family. My father had his first of two back surgeries around 27, his thyroid became a problem slightly before this.
I had thyroid problems from 12 on, but after the last pregnancy the symptoms escalated. Within two months my first two discs herniated - I was 27.
it would appear that those who didn't have hypothyroidism had disc problems much later, maybe just co-incidence. My paternal grandmother was in her 40's before she needed her first back surgery and my sister was in her 40's before she had back surgery.
It is my understanding that thyroid disease is considered an auto immune disorder.
Just last year a surgeon told me that smoking contributes to DDD. Certainly, being overweight didn't help my back either.
Melanie
Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM

I wonder about many disease and symptom correlatives myself.

I'm hypothyroid. I don't know its relationship to spine disease. I suspect they synergize. It's pretty sad no matter how you look at it.