ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Default Thoracic Herniation Surgery

I know that this is an ADR board and that there are no ADR's for the thoracic area yet, but I would like to know if anyone here has had surgery for thoracic herniations. If you have been following my post surgery blog you know that I now believe the herniations at T3-4 and T6-7 are contributing to my problems.

I see my spine surgeon for a follow up on the 19th and will discuss further options with him. I know that the surgery for thoracic herniations is much more difficult than the cervical area or lumbar. I have researched the different methods but finding information is hard.

If anyone here can share their experiences with thoracic herniation surgery I would greatly appreciate it.

Herniations/Buldges @ C4-5, C6-7, C7-T1, T1-2, T3-4, T6-7, T11-12
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Motion in thoracic spine

J, you are right...no thoracic ADR patients are here for the reasons (et al) you mentioned. Flexibility is obviously needed throughout the spine, that's why the discs are there. But surgery in the mid-spine is tricky and is not so common. Can you find docs to do this? Of course. But motion preservation in this area is specialized if not untried.

Pathologies that effect multiple areas of the spine might be another path to pursue. Have you been worked up for other systemic diseases that may effect the spine? Various arthritis conditions? I'll try to help if I can...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Harrison, I am not concerned about motion preservation in my thoracic area. I don't think it is as important as cervical or lumbar since it takes much more force to herniate discs in this region.

I am concerned about finding a surgeon who specializes in the thoracic area with techniques such as VATS or others that are minimally invasive.

I don't believe I have any other pathologies that are causing my spine to degenerate. When I was 15 I was involved in a motorcycle wreck in which I was hit head on, run over by a truck, and my head struck by the vehicle I was trying to pass. At the time I did not have any spine related issues, however I believe that now that I am older they are comming back to haunt me.

Also I am at the point where my pain is threatening my life. It is at the point where it is so severe and intractable that I conteplate suicide everyday. Im sure thinking about killing yourself is unpleasant to anyone, but doing it because of pain without any depression or sadness is in itself very scary. I don't feel like there is no way out or have no will to live, I just can't take the pain anymore.

What is depressing is that I am finally certain as to what is causing the pain, but the time it took to find out has depleted me of every resource I have to fix the problem.

Herniations/Buldges @ C4-5, C6-7, C7-T1, T1-2, T3-4, T6-7, T11-12