ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:44 AM

As I was just getting myself relsoved to the idea of having my thigh pain due to archnoditis forever I had this happen.
Back in mid April I was stopped at a light and looking in the rear view mirror which I do all the time being afraid someone was going to hit me, I saw this person just keep coming, I think to myself this person is not going to stop and it happened so quickly and he did not. He was going around 40-45 MPH at the time. He told the police that came that he was did not see me stopped at the light until it was too late and he could not stop. Very minimal damage to my week old Toyota Highlander, by the way I highly recommend this based on this test crash. This man literally bounced right off of me.
I immediately felt pain in my neck and my back. I decided I better to the ER to get checked out, I knew they would have no idea about artifical disc but I figure if I could get an xray on a disc then e-mail/mail to Dr. Yue. They said that I had whiplash and a bad back sprain. At this time the muscles were already spasming.
2 months later I am not any better if not worst. I have had to go back on pain medication daily and just had an MRI of my neck. My physical therapist thinks I may have a herinated disc. I did go into see Dr. Yue last week and he took 2 xrays and said my discs are fine and that I had both whiplash and a back sprain and that it will take a year to heal and basically just dismissed me. To say the least I was very upset considering I had waited for 2 1/2 hours to see him to say this to me. I have heard that if you are not a surgery candidate he does not want to be bothered with you. My pain management doctor decided it was best to have the MRI done to see if any damage was done. He also wants to do one of the back to see if anything else is going on in there.
What is the best to have done an MRI or CT scan with all the medal in my back. Which do you think will be clear enough to see anything?
This is just so fustrating that one thing happens after another with me. I guess if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Any thoughts on what I should be doing. Currently still in physical therapy which I cannot say for sure whether it is helping at all, it does feel good while she is working on me.
Current issues are pain in left thigh (had before accident) new pain:
feel like I am walking on a ball on my heel. Middle toes go numb and somethings have a tingling sensation;
Cramping in the calves. Back pain on both the left and the right side, more on the right side.
Cramping of my arms with a tingling sensation in my index fingers, this just happens periodically.
Feel like a big knot on my upper left side of my back, just left of the neck. Discomfort and crackling of my neck when move from side to side.
All this discomfort I am feeling while being on 10 mgs. of oxycodone daily with 10 mg vicodin for breakthrough pain.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions of what I should be doing. Sorry for the long post.
Thank you

Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 07-03-2007, 08:13 PM

I am sorry to tell you that I had the same accident and alot of the same symptoms. My C5/C6 herniated severely from being rear ended. I know that whiplash can create some of the same symptoms, but I think they should do XRays and an MRI of your neck.
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM

I have heard different opinions about MRI's and CAT Scans with ADR's. I tried to have a CAT Scan and the image totally degenerated as soon as it got to the levels of my ADR's. Maybe someone has a different method that will image these things effectively. It would be nice to have a definitive answer.

Good Luck with your healing. I wish you the best.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Sorry I have no info. for you but I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you. I send you a big cyber hug.

Laura