ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:23 AM

Default kaiser two level

Hey everyone,

I've recently decided to go overseas for a two level surgery becuase FDA has only approved one level. Last year my Nuerosurgeon with kaiser told me that he could do ADR surgery on me but he wanted to wait for the Bryan disc which he thought would be out by Jan 08 "not". So when the Prodisc-c came out I asked him to look at it. In July he called me and said he couldn't do the surgery, after pressing him he said that he didn't like the design and he was sending me to oakland to see another Kaiser doctor about ADR. That Doctor told me that Kaiser would not do more than a single level ADR and that they wouldn't even do a fusion at one level and the ADR at the other becuase that wasn't part of the FDA study. I think that the first doctor was squashed by Kaiser becuase he told me that he would go off label and do a two level ADR. I went back to see him and he just tried to talk me into doing a two level fusion saying that when the adjacent levels go bad we can do ADR then becuase it should be approved by then. Ya right!
That's when I decided to start looking for other options and it looks like the only option that I may be able to do is going over seas. still alot of money for me 30k. Of course I wish there was a way to make them pay and if anyone knows a way please let me know

fell off a ladder in 05
C5,6 6,7 DDD buldging disc all of the test including discogram lots of pain and 2 many drugs
Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Kaiser single level - 2nd ADR

Hello,
I had a single ADR C5/C6 in Germany and now need C6/C7. It is not failing because of the first surgery, I have needed it all along. Kaiser is willing to do my C6/C7 Prodisc next to my C5/C6 Prodisc. I am not sure that I want them to. The surgeon who offered has never done any ADR surgery. I think in Oakland they have done some, not sure about Prodisc. They said they will not pay for me to go to a more experienced surgeon.

So, Kaiser will do mine, and I still prefer Germany or Delamarter in LA. Germany 25k, LA 34k, with travel it will probably be close to the same end cost.

If you do not want to spend the money, you could probably convince Kaiser to do one, and then the other 6 mo or a yr later. My preference would be to go to Germany for a one shot deal. I know that Delamarter has done some multilevel in LA. I am not sure how he is getting around the FDA rules.

I would like to know more about what you thought of the Oakland Doc and who else you have seen at Kaiser.

Kaiser schedule 3-4 months ---- Germany or LA 2 to 6 weeks.
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi Jessica can you tell me how you are coping now working when some pain remains or is your story posted? I am due back to owrk soon and started taking Pregablin for the pain remaining (which is sometimes intense others ok) thanks Maz
Active C ADR 2 levels 18th Sept 08
pain remains in shoulders and neck but is better than before (level 2-6)
arm pain resolved