ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 PM

I have gotten some (a few) positive feedback - but as I go back and read some of the past posts of folks who have had ADR - there appear to be many more negative outcomes to ADR surgeries than positives. I have to make up my mind soon - and this really scares me - some of what I have read have been horror stories.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 PM

There are other discussions about this topic but essentially, if ADR works and you have a life again, very few continue to post.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM

I have to agree with Anna. I am in bed recovering from major surgery. I would much rather be at work or on my boat with my kids enjoying the summer. I am curious where you read all the negative posts. The majority of post ops are positive that I have read here and on other spine websites. Even the not so positive have hope. If it were not for the hope and faith of a better life then I would be doing myself and my family a disservice. If out of fear we only see the negative then that is all we will read. I was scared to death of this surgery but went forward knowing that I will be better for it.
Discogram 10FEB08
ADR Prodisc L 10JUN08
Discogram 08APR09 for gnawing 3+ pain when sitting results negative
Facet injection L4/5 upcoming 03JUN09 Cancelled because pain is subsiding
Follow up on 01JUL09 with Dr. D
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM

I also think it depends on what you consider a negative outcome. There are a lot of folks on these forums who have had some incredibly major surgeries and sometimes multiple surgeries in quick succession, but that doesn't always indicate a negative outcome. Each of us comes here with a different set of issues that add up to the entire problem, and sometimes one procedure isn't the full solution because of those various conditions.

I'd also have to agree with regards to positive outcome posts. I'm sure it's easy to forget to post when you're out enjoying the fact that your back pain is gone.

I'm also taking it easy after having a one level ADR surgery done back on June 23rd. Things have been progressing better than I could have ever dreamed of so far, but by the same token I have to be very careful to not over do it when I'm feeling great. Pushing too hard could cause my current state of feeling awesome to deteriorate or cause me issues later.

My best advice for making your decision would be to keep in mind your own condition's details and see if you can find post-op threads that include some of the things you're experiencing and some of the things your doctor(s) have said are an issue for you medically. If ADR truly is the solution for you, keep in mind that the recovery period will vary and the symptoms you feel post-op will likely vary too. Those who have posted and had similar pre-op issues to your own will be the better indications of what to expect. BUT, don't take those experiences as the end all be all of what could happen because each of us reacts slightly differently.

I can't personally advise on some of the details you've posted about your condition because I'm not knowledgeable about them. The folks who have posted, have given some really good advice. Any surgery is scary regardless of whether or not it fits, but the only other thing I can think of to say as advice would be to make sure you have confidence in the doctor doing the procedure. I don't have confidence in my primary care doctor but I can say that I had a ton of confidence in my surgeon for my own ADR surgery and that made my own decision to go through with it that much easier.

Hope this helps somehow and I hope everything turns out well in your quest to resolve your back pain issues.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Good question, with some very thoughtful replies. Polli, please read this topic:

Reminder on this discussion board
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/8361017112
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hey PolliBibbs,

I agree for the most part what the others have said, those that have their lives back are out doing, and not here posting. It's human nature.

However even with the negative posts I think someone trying to make up their mind about ADR vs Fusion can reap some pearls of wisdom .... It was stated in another thread to do your homework and I think those negative posts you see might lead you to information regarding questions you should ask of not only yourself but your doctor. Things like, do you have facet disease? If so ADR may NOT be the best way to go for you..

So while there are some horrendous stories about back repair here on the site, I think they serve a real purpose.

Personally I was in a clinical trial and was randomized for a fusion instead of a 2 level ADR. In the log run it turned out the best possible solution for me. One that I am pleased with and so is my back surgeon. I have some arthritic changes in my back and I had a huge gap between C5-C6 when they got in to do the repair. An ADR would not have helped in that situation, but most likely done more damage. I've also got some funky odd junk going on that affects my back that no one seems to understand right now. That sort of complication might have been chocked up to an ADR had one been put in.

ADR's are wonderful if they are put in to a candidate that is truly matched for one. But an ADR in a patient that isn't a good candidate can cause a lot of pain and heartache.

Due diligence is difficult without all the information to base your choices on. The more active posts here are most likely those of us that have other stuff going on, and are not a clean concise ADR candidate. Those people are off leading their lives out in the real world...lol

So don't be scared.. be informed .... that's all I am trying to say
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

PolliBibbs,

Most patients that do well post-op no longer post. That's why you see a greater number of posts of patients with negative outcomes, ongoing pain issues, facet issues, etc.

I have been doing great for the last 4.5 years, but I am experiencing a little blip on the radar. However, I consider myself a success as I was bed ridden prior to surgery.

I am one of the few successful ADR patients that continues to post on the forum. I do so because medicine is my choice of profession and I enjoy taking a few minutes throughout the day to pop in and offer encouragement to others.

I too experienced the spinal hell that most here have experienced. This is a very vivid experience that has not only changed my view on life, but has greatly shaped my career.

Be well,
Justin
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM

PolliBibbs:

Justin is one of our angels that keep posting to instill strength, faith, and hope in those who are where we've been and are still suffering. I have been in the counseling profession for thirty years so that is why I continue to post as it is God's task for me to help others. I had 4 level ADR in November 2006 and am a 51 year old white male. I am very athletic and got right back on the bicycle within 5 months after this major surgery. I pedaled over 2,000 miles last Summer while healing from this surgery and have just about 1,000 miles so far this season. There is life after ADR for many of us. I am much happier than I would have been if I had a multi level fusion.

Hang in there and, continue to research so you go at this fully armed and informed as to the best choice for you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM

Here, here, to all of the above. The "wellbees" are off living their lives with gusto. It would be nice if some of them would poke their heads in from time to time, to update us on all their "activities." Thus far, we haven't had great success with that. But like Justin, Terry, et., explained, as we have healed (me, all over again...) we feel compelled to chime in and offer any support we can. I have been on the side of broken in pain, on my knees, like alot of these newbie folks are now. How can I turn my back? This forum was a life line for me, and the least I can do, is try to be there for some of these folks now. God bless you in your decision making process.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 PM

I am very familiar of how you feel right now. I have read all of your posts and this would be my advice. Have as many tests as possible and get at least two opinions, three would be better. I personally would have a hard time becoming the 19th ADR patient for your doctor with your age and complicated case.

I am happy with my surgery, two years post op and much better off than before surgery - no where near pain free or perfect though.
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?