ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:36 AM

I have to have some dental work carried out, I've had one lot of precautionary antibiotics as the Dentist wanted to know how I should be treated. According to her book it depends on prosthesis type as to whether antibiotic cover is required & for the spine it is either a mega dose which needs to be got from my GP or IV antibiotics which isn't an option in a general dentist surgery.

I phoned Mr Lams secretary to ask, told her what antibiotics I've been on & asked the question. Finally this morning I got a reply but I'm now even more confused! Aparently antibiotics aren't needed but I should carry on with what I have as a precaution

What have others done in this instance please? Do I or don't I have antibiotics for invasive dentistry? I've been having enough problems since my ADR & the last thing I want to do is have an extra infection get through!!

Help please

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
End Stage Facet Joint Arthritis
Chronic Pain
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
15 Nov 06 ~ Prodisc ADR at L5/S1
Need a revision but not a surgeon in the UK will (or can?) remove a Prodisc!!
Prodisc has ruined my life
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Hi Lyndsay
I don't know which book your dentist reads. I had my Prodisc surgery in 2004 in the UK and was told that there was no need for antibiotic cover prior to dental treatment following my double total disc replacement.
I have had dental treatment since surgery without antibiotic cover and have had no problems with infection.
The advice from your surgeon does sound ambiguous, I guess that he means that as you have already started you may as well finish the preventative course, even though it wasn't necessary. Is it just three doses you have been prescribed?
If I can find the research I did myself a few years ago about the same issue I will forward it to you. Your surgeon has given the same info as mine, ie antibiotic cover is not needed. I'd go with what they say but at the end of the day the decision is between you and your dentist.
Regards
Lynda

Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

I was advised to take a course of 4 Amoxicillin capsules one hour before cleanings or any other dental work which might stir up bacteria in the mouth. This was to be done for three years after my ADR Surgery. My dentist supports this as he heeds this for all implant surgeries including hip, knee, shoulder implants, etc.

I think it is sound advice and a good precautionary stance. Implants are one more part in the body that bacteria can hide and create havoc. Why take a risk on destroying something that we all suffered to obtain.

My two cents.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. I originally started antibiotics 2 weeks ago as I've cracked a filling & was getting alot of pain from the tooth, as there was a slight shadow the antibiotics were given to try & stop a possible abcess that was forming. I was supposed to go back after a week but a clash of appointments mean I can't return until tomorrow morning.

The Dentist told me that antibiotic cover now varies depending on the part that has been replaced & how recently. Apparently the info book has recently been updated (& as she found a reference to prosthetic disc replacement then I can believe it). The book wasn't completely clear which is why she requested I ask the surgeon.

It seems from all that I've found out so far that it is very divided over whether to give antibiotics. The biggest problem I have is I'm allergic to Penecillin so can't just take anything.

The Dentist will make her decision on what she's going to do with the tooth tomorrow, shame I can't give her a definitive answer about the antibiotics!

Thanks again for your replies.

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Lyndsay,

An interesting question that we've actually discussed at length before -- please see this meaty topic on antiobiotics-ADR-dental work.

It's a good discussion! Thanks Dale S, for bringing it up a while ago...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks Harrison ~ I had read some of it before & it still doesn't really clear up the confusion!!

I saw the Dentist today & for now she wants to leave the tooth alone as the xrays aren't completely clear with what is going on. She was then going to do my clean but then with the confusion over antibiotics decided she wanted to wait until there is more clarification as apparently her own research has found a local patient who fairly recently had a dental treatment (different dentist, may have been at the hospital, I can't remember) & an infection got into their bloodstream with fatal consequences

With the way things have gone for me I as well as my dentist want to make sure we do the right/best thing.

Thanks again

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Per my surgeon's directive, and coincidentally, my dentist's similar directive, I take a dose of antibiotics 1 hour prior to any dental work, including cleaning. This is for life.

God Bless,
jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 06-23-2007, 11:40 PM

I have also been directed by Pro-Spine to take a large dose (480 mg of Clendomycin) before any dental work, for the rest of my life. My dentist is in full agreement.
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?