ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Similar symptoms like mine DDD L3 L4

Hi all, i have question for you. I was wondering if anyone here have symptoms like i do. So my spine looks ok exept i have bad L3 L4 disc. I see most of you have trouble sitting but for me it gives me relief. My biggest pain provoke is when im in static position, walking and standing. When i walk for longer i get imidiate relief when bending forward. Same when im standing. So, as long my spine is bend, ex. when sitting bend, or lying bend is ok(when i lay on my back with legs straight i have pain). Is there anyone that have problem like me, and have relief when bending spine?
P.S. I have big pain and almost cant do that, is when im trying to bend backwards. Thank you all :-)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Lightbulb

Hi Perepere,

It makes sense that your symptoms are different, since your bad disc is higher up. For me, L3/L4 was fine, so standing was possible to some extent. Sitting was impossible for me. The lower discs make sitting difficult. Since your L4/L5 and L5/S1 are ok, that very well can explain how sitting is not a problem for you.

The bending thing makes complete sense too. For me, in the beginning, when I could sit a little bit, there was a big difference in what type of chair I sat in. The key idea was: in various sitting positions, your tailbone and sacrum bends slightly different, which affects pain.
Likewise, for you, bending while standing affects the positioning of your L3/L4 disc which makes your bulge/tears touch more or less on the nerves.

Having only L3/L4 bad is indeed more rare. Is there possibly some special sport or work you do that could have contributed to this?

Pain in static position is common for DDD regardless of disc. I would bet that some form of traction or hanging can temporarily give you pain relief, am I correct?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaga View Post
Hi Perepere,

It makes sense that your symptoms are different, since your bad disc is higher up. For me, L3/L4 was fine, so standing was possible to some extent. Sitting was impossible for me. The lower discs make sitting difficult. Since your L4/L5 and L5/S1 are ok, that very well can explain how sitting is not a problem for you.

The bending thing makes complete sense too. For me, in the beginning, when I could sit a little bit, there was a big difference in what type of chair I sat in. The key idea was: in various sitting positions, your tailbone and sacrum bends slightly different, which affects pain.
Likewise, for you, bending while standing affects the positioning of your L3/L4 disc which makes your bulge/tears touch more or less on the nerves.

Having only L3/L4 bad is indeed more rare. Is there possibly some special sport or work you do that could have contributed to this?

Pain in static position is common for DDD regardless of disc. I would bet that some form of traction or hanging can temporarily give you pain relief, am I correct?
I did have traction table but that only make pain worse. Yeah i dont see here so offten people with only L3 L4, so maybe thats why i am having different symptoms. I dont have leg pain, maybe sometimes but i have big back pain. I didnt have any sports or work,i developed this in high scool. It cames from nowhere, and they say it is genetic thing...i was told by several adr doctors that i am adr candidate for L3 L4 level.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Facet problem maybe?...

Hi there!
Disc degeneration is very common and for the most part it doesn't cause any major disfunction or pain other than the "normal" aches and pains with that come with age. That being said, there's the lucky ones like us that this condition can seriously debilitate us and sometimes make us bedridden.

Now, based on the i formation you have provided it's hard to know where the pain is coming from. What does your MRI report say? Usually, if you had a bulging or herniated disc at the lumbar level, bending forward would put pressure on the nerve roots and it would send you screaming (at least it does for me and for many others). On the other hand, a facet problem is common to cause pain and discomfort with backward bends and the pain is often alleviated by forward bending.

I am not saying your problems aren't coming from your disc but before looking into major surgery, make sure you know where your pain is coming from. Facet pain are often treated without surgery. For many RFA works very well for their facet joint pain. Review your MRI report, talk to multiple doctors, do extensive research online, and make the most educated decision you can make. In the end if you do need ADR, at least you will know you didn't pull the trigger too early.

I would advice to have an experienced, and knowledgeable (sometimes they are hard to find) physical therapist that can help you identify further where the pain is coming from. Discograms can be false positives and doctors don't take nearly enough time doing a physical exam the right way (like they should). In my case for example, my PT would have me move in different ways and would put pressure in different areas of my spine to see if the pain was reproduced. He concluded that my pain is mainly coming from my discs, but I also have some pain coming from my facets at an upper level. After receiving my MRI report, my PT was right on the money. I have mild facet problems at an upper level that causes some discomfort when I bend my body back.

Feel free to reach anyone here in these forums, they are all great people and if you are new to this, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Take care and good luck!

Last edited by badbackbeauty; 03-24-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...
Old 03-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Could be some central stenosis also
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM

I dont have stenosis and facet problem. I get tested that. I have pure disc pain which was confirmed with discography. I have big annular tear in that disc. I dont have nerve root compresion, so only bad back pain...
Considering ADR at that level
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM

How does your mri look? Just curious
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Pere,

Please see:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053

Let me know if you need help.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-26-2017, 05:32 AM

This is my MRI. I hope you can view it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170324-110843.jpg (7.2 KB, 26 views)
Considering ADR at that level
Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Question

That disc is really degenerated compared to the other discs. It is very interesting, why that particular disc only. If I were you, I would try to get many independent opinions from different experienced surgeons. You need to show all MRI images to the surgeons. The lateral view is nice for a general overview, but it is from the horizontal slices, where you get the detailed information about the tear. The fact that only the one disc is so extreme may actually be a good thing. It is easier to fix an isolated spine problem with adr.

I find it peculiar too that traction creates pain for you. You may want to mention this to the surgeons. If they truly underatand the diagnosis, then they should be able to say why.