ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Supplements Post ADR

You need to rebuild your soft tissue aggressively. Your facets will articulate differently post ADR. You need to 'puff up' the synovial fluid in your zygapophyseal capsules that have been stretched waaaay beyond their normal range and are also now moving in a different plane. That cushioning effect is probably the most important aspect going forward for success. I had some reflares of inflammation post ADR on and off until I ran into a great book called The Inflammation Syndrome. I began eating super clean plant based foods and drank a lot of water. I also walked a lot.

But on to the supplements I use which are all joint builders and joint lubricators and re-scaffolders:

SAMe
Evening Primrose(GLA)
Glucosamine/Chondroitin
Baxyl(haulyuronic acid)
Great Lakes Gelatin
Arthroben
Rose Hips
Vitamin C
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl
Vitamin D with K
Natural sunshine between the hours of 10AM and 2PM in 30 min daily doses(naked almost)
Plenty of hydration
Loads of fresh, organic vegetables, raw, about 20 or more portions a day

My wife complained about her joints lately so I'm also going to bring on board a gallon of Rapid Response by Ameredon

I do even more supplements that are not joint related but that's not for this discussion.

ADR patients are different. You will need these supplements IMO for the rest of your life. Your facet joints will continue to move unlike your aging breathren so you will need to keep them healthy and lubricated. Movement is also important(walking) to keep the synovial capsules cranking in a natural, relaxed axially open and close gentle rocking motion. When I walk my back loves it! It feels like my spine is thanking me, like its in a washing machine! Fresh blood is introduced into the spine which is a healer! If you don't move, you will risk arthroses since your joints tend to calcify in a sedentary environment. The M6s were made to move, so move them, gently.

Also, core exercises. Keep your pelvis girdle and transverse abs tone. Walking helps do this but so does a few key exercises that I have learned. Keep your torso in a fired manner when necessary, especially the pelvic floor. Understand that the ADRs are like jacks that put you on stilts and that they are stretched. Feed them nutrition. Love them. Use them wisely. Be thoughtful on your body mechanics. They will heal but you need to take care of them. I also try to avoid sitting as much as possible, not out of pain necessarily. Its just not a healthy thing to be doing. Keep moving.

I don't do any drugs except an occasional valium but that is for my muscles that naturally tighten up. Maybe one 5 mg a week now. Some weeks not needed at all. A glass of wine every so often. Sleep is great. Life is good. I hope this was helpful in any way to someone.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks. I'll look into these. Was on glucosamine chondrotin but quit after reading mixed stuff.
Glad you mentioned vit k2 with D. Very important, esp for spineys.
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
M6 Artificial disc replacement @l5-s1 Nov 2015, in Canada
June 2016 - still struggling...Physio, accupuncture, massage, counselling...
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Glucosomine and chondroitin

I have been looking into Glucosomine and chondroitin recently, not for myself but for my dogs, a Bullmastiff and a English Mastiff both prone to hip and leg problems due to their size (BM @ 120lbs EM to be circa 220 lbs). I posted on a mastiff forum and got one response that made me look into Glucosomine and chondroitin a bit closer for my dogs. I do not know how or even if it's applicable to humans.

"Also just to add, glucosamine sulfate is more absorbable form of the product. *Plus, When mixed with chondroitin it is not as easily absorbed. *Glucosamine itself is more for peripheral joints (hyalin) cartilage, and chondroitin is more for discs in the spine and the pelvis at the pubis (fibrous cartilage). *So if you are trying to target an area you can choose which of the two is appropriate. **

If you find that your dog responds well to the glucosamine products combined with chondroitin or not, the dogs blood sugar should be looked at. *Glucosamine which turns into cartilage is a byproduct of HEALTHY glucose metabolism. *Thus if the the pups glucose is stable the products really do not help. *Hope this helps!"

The last part about blood sugar is something Ive never heard of but something I'll be looking into. Also, from what I have determined is that glucosamine by itself is relatively inexpensive, it's when you start adding chondrotin and other things like vitamins that it gets expensive.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Default SAMe

My daughter works at a herbal health store. She's a microbiologist and her job is to take blood and analyze it (I don't know what she's analyzing it for). She takes the analysis to the people at the store that determine what herbs and supplements the client should take. She got my 93 yo mom on SAMe. When my mom is on SAMe she no longer uses Tylenol. When my mom has run out of SAMe she reverts back to Tylenol (and when my daughter finds out she gets more SAMe for her). My mom is on a ton of other meds, for HBP and cancer to name a few and my daughter was able to get her on SAMe instead of Tylenol.
Just saying.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 PM

This is a great thread. My background is in medicine and I have a wealth of knowledge about human physiology but really no idea about supplements in particular and which ones would be appropriate for degenerative or osteoarthritic spinal conditions. Any views on good natural anti-inflammatories ?
Otherwise suffered in pain on and off
Recently had stem cell treatment for facets which have improved markedly
Looking at hybrid solution in the coming months
Old 05-13-2016, 12:48 AM

I am looking forward to trying the Rapid Response by Amerdon tomorrow. I talked to the maker of the product Sharone. She used it initially for horses and dogs who were not able to move. Humans can use the product too and many championship horses have taken RR, even Belmont winners.

I have read the numerous testimonials and they are nearly universal in their great appreciation for what it has done in their lives.

Here is the link.

http://www.rapidresponseamerdon.com/index.html

My wife has been complaining about her arm and shoulder for awhile but spineys as well as MS patients have many glowing things to say about this product. I will follow up after a gallon trial of it in use.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:33 AM

Default Dmso

Dimethyl sulfoxide, I found out today that it is back on the market. It was taken off a while back, or at least I couldn't get it. Back in the day when I was doing a lot of jogging I found out about it in a runners magazine. Basically the liquid or gel can easily be absorbed through the skin. The runners trick was to cruch aspirin, mix it with DMSO and apply it to where you ache. In my case it was my knees. Back then you could only get it from a vet as they frequently used it on animals, seemingly especially horses. If you search amazon you will still see a lot of it in the pet supply catagories.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 AM

I'm going to look into giving these a try. I might have to become friends with Amazon.com to get access to them. The TGA [Australia's equivalent of the FDA which also covers supplements] has banned most of these products or not approved them for human use. Even Xyflamend is banned
Otherwise suffered in pain on and off
Recently had stem cell treatment for facets which have improved markedly
Looking at hybrid solution in the coming months
Old 05-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozphysician View Post
Any views on good natural anti-inflammatories?
Tumeric, glucosamine, Wobenzym, and Traumeel are all things we've used with varying success. Tumeric seemed to be the best mix of cost vs. benefit for us followed by Wobenzym and some of the similar enzymatics. Glucosamine never really seemed all that effective when we tried it and Traumeel seemed effective but tended to be harder for us to find and, therefore, more costly when you add shipping to the product cost.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 05-14-2016, 07:49 PM

Glucosamine never did much for me but is great for my Labs. Juicing a good chunk of ginger into my juice helped a lot. The problem is that juicing is hard when Im in a lot of pain. I've cut it up and made a tea out of it which is easier.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016