ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Default At the Decision Phase and scared witless re spine surgery

I'm in the decision phase after many years of dealing with episodic flare-ups. The latest one is not subsiding and ortho surgeon has recommended disc replacement. It seems so extreeme and others in the medical field seem to be very skeptical (even of fusion). I've checked out some studies, etc. but really just want to hear and read more about people that have had this procedure (total disc replacement) and how their recovery went and are they glad they did it. I don't think I'm there yet, but my condition has not improved and the numbness in foot/leg is worse than my prior baseline to the point where my normal activities are being affected. It seems logical that replacement would help solve issues, but skeptics have me wondering.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hi David, see the post-op forum which has NINE years of post op reports from patients. When you can:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Others may chime in, I hope we can support you in your journey to wellness!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 AM

I noticed you are from Texas. If Dr. Jack Zigler at Texas Back Institute is not the doctor you are consulting with you should seek a second opinion from him! If you are not willing to go to Europe to get the M6 disk Dr. Zigler has one of the best track records with the Prodisc. If it is a cervical disc and you are staying in the US you should really try to find a doc that is comfortable with the Mobi-C. Without a signature line it is hard for others to to chime in without knowing more about you.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 11-23-2013, 10:24 AM

David,

If you're wanting to learn from those that have had ADR surgery, you've certainly come to the right place. I would encourage you to spend hours on end reading outcomes in the "Surgical Outcomes" forum of this site. The good outcomes far outnumber the bad ones. I'll have had my two cervical ADRs for four years next week and I wouldn't trade for them. The majority of lumbar patients feel the same way.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 11-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Hi David
I need a lot of work on my spine. You're lucky to have ADR options in the States, if we had those options in Canada I'd be done like dinner.
Re; Mobi-c, for some reason I kind of prefer it to the Prodisc but right now I'd take either.
It's been over a week since my GP said he'd get me an appointment with a surgeon up here. I suspect it will be January before it happens and a 3-4 month wait to the OR. When I get the dates I'm applying to our provincial system to see if they'll fund the procedures. I now believe my doctor will support that application.
You can do a search on the Mobi-c, there's a site that lists the US surgeons that use it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Thanksf for replies; helps alot !

More about me:

Live in Dallas area. Seing Dr. Guyer at Texas Back Institute (saw his PA Jessica Koumajin for several years until this point). Seeking second and third opinions (looking at a Dr. Roger Morgan at UT Southwestern and a Dr. Paul Salinas in Frisco, TX).

I'm 45 years old; relatively active an love playing soccer, but can't right now and that is adding to feelings of unhappiness in addition to the pain/discomfort.

My problems are lower back. L4/5; had partial discectomy in 2003 on L5; now L4 is bulging hitting nerve; leg weakness and pain in calf; numb foot, but not total paralysis. Numbness/weakness seem to have recently improved.

I've begun reading the vaious forums; thanks again to all that have shared and any further insights are greatly appreciated.

Burke McDavid