ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Question about ADR candidacy when herniated material touching nerve root L5-S1

Hello all,

I have a Herniated disc at L5-S1. About 18 months ago I started having pain, and eventually learned that it was due to a herniation on the rear right side of the disc. Herniated material seems to have extruded out of the disc and is in contact with the nerve root on the right side.

I had a discectomy/decompression last April and within two weeks the pain was back in full force. Its all located around the center of the back, and no pain radiating to either leg. Occasionally when I move I feel a sharp deep stabbing pain as well which is very brief but powerful. It hurts when I sneeze

I cant run or bike anymore and want to have an ADR implant to resolve the issue as I am fairly certain that the disc is the root cause of my pain, but there is the question of the herniated material touching my nerve root. The surgeon who did the decompression didn't remove all the herniated material in contact with my nerve root, which I'm pretty pissed off about, but now I'm worried that this could be a dis disqualifier for getting the ADR.

The reason I am worried is that the herniation seems to have happened years ago and the material may have hardened. I'm not sure if this is a common issue that is easily dealt with during ADR implantation, as they need to remove the old disc first.

Has anyone had an issue like this or any information about the above? Should I be worried?

All my other discs look great. I'm 41 and used to be very active and want to get back to that lifestyle. I'm looking specifically at the Freedom Lumbar 3rd gen device, but there seems to be hardly anyone who has had it implanted or surgeons that are known to use this device. But it looks like it would suit my needs best.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Actually, hundreds if not thousands of people in this community have experienced what you are experiencing. So you are in the right place.

I doubt many doctors would disqualify you for this. If it's one level, almost any spine doc would actually prefer your case, as one-level patients, in general, have the best outcomes.

Hey, sorry bub, here's your homework:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate