ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Default ADR C4-5 C5-6/fusion C4 C 6

Hi All,

I am so happy to find this wonderful, supportive community. I am writing in hopes that you can share your story. Thank you in advance.

I live in CA and I am currently being treated by Dr. Light in San Francisco CA. The report states that EMG/NC studies indicate evidence of bilateral c6 and l5 radiculopathy with disc protrusions at c5-6 and c6-7 with degeneration of c5-6 on the left. There is disc material plus a large uncovertebral joint which is likely producing her arm pain. Also symptoms of cervical radiculopathy involving the c6 nerve root.
He recommended disc replacement arthoplasty at c4-5 and c5-6. Alternative to disc replacement surgery would include fusion of C4 to C6. He doesn't recommend fusion. There are signs of impringement of the C5 nerve root. At this point in time it is not likely she will improve. She has signs and symptoms of cervical radiculopathy involving the C6 nerve root. She has had over 32 PT
treatments to no avail. She has also tried ice, heat and tens unit.

I am a fit at 5"5 and 128 lbs. I miss and love to run. It calms and centers to me. Instead, I have been spinning, hiking and swimming ( with a snorkel). My doctors have said this is safe.

I usually have on and off nerve pain and in both arms , rt foot and neck. These symptoms increase a lot when I go poop; During the nerve testing the neurologists told me that this wasn't my imagination . Today was very scary it took me over 40 minutes to go after an enema and 2 doses of . Yes, I am on meds that cause constipation and take Miralax daily. However, I am concerned with the increased full leg pain. It was very painful and scary.

I am waiting on approval from BC/BS of GA for approval of a 2 level cervical ADR. Dr. Light said it would be a miracle if my insurance approved. Am I going to be forced in a fusion because of my pain going the bathroom? Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have any recommendations for another opinion and/or best spine guy in No Cal? Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Running11; 01-05-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Testing; MRIs, EMG/NC, CT scans and discogram. Congenital cervical and lumbar stenosis
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM

Running,

Condolences on your condition, but welcome.

If insurance issues force you towards a double fusion, many carriers today cover a fusion/ADR hybrid. Perhaps yours will? Many here have paid out of pocket to go overseas for ADR surgery to avoid fusion.

There is hope that you'll be able to resume running after surgery. There are multiple posters on this site that have had cervical or lumbar ADR and resumed swimming, cycling, running, horseback riding, ... pretty much you name it.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Hey running, in case you need help creating a signature, see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate