ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Default New Member Getting M6-C Next Week

Hello, I am a new member and glad to find some information and support on this unexpected and challenging journey.

I stumbled forward and fell hard backwards on my hands in a seated position on concrete last Dec. and sustained multiple injuries. A broken left wrist was treated at the ER. Four weeks later they found my broken tailbone, torn ligaments in both shoulders, biceps, wrist and hands. Eight weeks later I was getting worse and could not lift or use my arms or hands well with numbness, tingling and difficulty in walking. They diagnosed three injured disc in my neck with a fractured vertebra and compression on C-5 with bone fragments sticking in my spine.

After a lot of research I am scheduled for an M6-C Artificial Disc Replacement next Wed. Sept. 17, part of a clinical trial. I hope to stabilize my neck and improve my health. Prayers and words of encouragement are appreciated.
Mimi
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Mimi,

Condolences on your injury. I have two M6-C's and have managed to run four marathons and one IronMan, and plan to start another IronMan training cycle in February with them. I know you're going to do great!

Forgive me, but your story raises a number of questions... Because you're in a clinical trial I would assume you're in the US; but because you're multi-level, which the US trial isn't, I'm assuming you're not in the US. Where will you be having surgery? Who is your surgeon?

I know you'll let us know how things go next week.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 PM

Default M6-c

Like many my injuries were complicated. In my neck I injured three disc with one complete fracture at the C-5. My surgeon wanted to fuse all three levels. My Neurosurgeon advised carefully waiting and seeing how I healed.

A whole lot of doctors, medicine, therapy and pain, and now nine months later my new MRI showed some healing on two of the disc. My surgeon Dr. Musante said the broken vertebrae must be fixed to stabilize my neck and help with the terrible arm pain. He is participating in the recently opened U.S. Clinical Trial for the one level M6-C.

I passed my bone density test with flying colors today. Which I thought I would. I am 53 years old and had never had a broken bone in my life.

I researched and tried to contact doctors about stem cell treatments to heal the disc and regrown the vertebra but no luck so the M6 is the best option I have found. I feel fortunate to be in the study. After nine months I am ready to get better. So glad yours went well and I hope mine will too.

I injured three disc in my neck with a fractured vertebra and compression on C-5 that caused severe pain, numbness and weakness in both arms and legs.

After a lot of research, I had a successful M6-C Total Artificial Disc Replacement on C-5-6 as part of a clinical trial, to stabilize my neck and improve my health. So far I am doing well and feeling better every day.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Impressed

I am impressed with your healing and activities. Who preformed your M6 procedure and where?

I dream of being that well again.

I injured three disc in my neck with a fractured vertebra and compression on C-5 that caused severe pain, numbness and weakness in both arms and legs.

After a lot of research, I had a successful M6-C Total Artificial Disc Replacement on C-5-6 as part of a clinical trial, to stabilize my neck and improve my health. So far I am doing well and feeling better every day.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Mimi, my double M6-C's were on Nov 25, 2009 in Barcelona by Pablo Clavel.

If you mean David Musante in Durham, NC; his name comes across this site periodically as an ADR research surgeon. He's evaluated a number of posters on this site, but I think you'll be the first on this site to post having used him as their surgeon.

As many on this site have experienced, it is almost surreal to wake up in recovery with the pain of someone having just hammered/drilled/sawed/rasped/etc... on your vertebral bodies and explanted not an insignificant amount of your anatomy; but still feel better than when they put you out. Hopefully you'll have such an experience as well.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM

Default Dr. Clavel is one of the best

JSS,

Dr. Clavel is one of the best and you are living proof of how great he is. Unfortunately, I could not afford to travel and have the surgery so I am grateful to be able to join the clinical trial. I really like Dr. Musante and know that he has trained on the M6-C. I guess someone was Dr. Clavel first, LOL.

Thank you so much for sharing your good outcome. It helps make this journey a little less scary.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Hi Mimi,
I know your surgery is coming up next week and wish you success & speedy recovery. Like Jeff (jss), I also had two M6 discs implanted in me. Whereas Jeff had cervical M6's, I had lumbar M6's.

I just want you to know that I did not wait long before resuming significant activity again. I encourage you to follow the surgeon's instructions and wait until you are ready. Also, be patient as everyone's recovery will be different.

I am very happy for you that you can participate in this special trial and that you only need one level treated at this time. Good luck & let us know you do.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Cool Best Wishes Mimi

Good luck and speedy uneventful recovery to you!

Peace of mind as well.

F
Cervical herniation symptoms 2011
C5-7 M6C by Dr Clavel on June 5 2013
L3-5 M6L by Dr. Clavel on 12.18.13
Living life instead of living the condition
Old 09-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Good luck Mimi.

Clavel performed a three level lumbar on me two months ago using two M6s. I can't describe just how good I'm feeling. I just got back from the gym, put in 2.5 miles on Stairmaster and then did chest and tris. And finally, thank God, my knee and even thoracics are starting to NORMALIZE!

I am very thankful, walk carefully with gratitude in my heart, muttering praises to God as I drive or walk around. Almost starting to forget how bad it was before but not really. I remember.

I remember what it was like being a prisoner, not being able to use a chair, drive a car, etc.

Am glad you are taking steps,to getting your life back. What a devastating fall that was. Were you in a chair when you fell?

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Default So grateful

I'm so grateful to all of you, it means a lot knowing I am not alone. I am happy to hear how well you all are doing.

Sadly, I tripped over a high threshold and stumbled forward into the room determined not to fall and fell hard on concerte with my arms extended backwards in a sitting position. Bouncing twice, first hit broke my wrist and tore ligaments in my shoulders, the second hit broke my tailbone and injured three disc in my neck, fracturing C5-6. With a compression on my spine and broken pieces of bone sticking in my spinal cord causing terrible arm pain, weakness and numbness.

How indignant. Haha, I was the floor show that night and I hadn't even had a drink yet. Well I least I am still here. For sure that trip and fall really changed my life but I am going to get better. Starting with finally stabilizing my poor neck. Dr. Musante said the TDR should help allieviate my arm pain. That will be a prayer answered.

Again, it's so good to be able hear from people who understand, thank you!