ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Need 2 adr cervical and 2 adr lumbar should i do them all at once ?

Wondering if doing both surgeries in one trip, or i could wait a day, week or only do one not sure what i should do any suggestions or has anyone else needed to do both.

Thanks

Sandra
T2T3 disc bulging 2mm
T12L1 disc bulging
L4L5 disc protrution 5mm x 15mm
L5S1 disc protrution 4mm x 22mm

Dont know how or why this has happen life in general i guess
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM

If money is not a deal breaker, I personally would get two separate surgeries with plenty of time between if your symptoms are bearable.

I can't imagine that waiting a day or two in between two surgeries would be of any benefit and would cost more. Is that something they are even offering?

If you have a lot of support and an experienced surgeon gives you the green light to have it all done at once - I would assume it would be more cost effective, but wow, that is a one big surgery to discuss thoroughly with the experts. Sounds tough!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Dr Boeree says he would do it either way it was up to me.. just figured kill to birds with one stone . tried of back hurting and headaches .. and pain..
T2T3 disc bulging 2mm
T12L1 disc bulging

Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM

My self I would get them done and over with. I would not want to have two recoveries in a row if it were spaced out and realy wouldn't want the few days later one because you know what's coming. but again this I believe all comes down to personal choice. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Jeff
November new MRI disc collapse at both levels
April 27 2011 M6 replacements at l4/5 & l5/s1 at Barcelona spine center with Dr Clavel.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM

In that case, being that it's Mr Boeree, I would trust what he says and I'd probably do it all at once too. If you can get the support you need, it will save you money. I'm stuggling with a similar (yet less extensive) decision myself with an "optional" level L3-4 this time around while L4-5and L5-S1 are being treated. I can have it done later if needed, but who wants to spend that kind of money twice?

Good luck. We are going to the best from all accounts!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM

my thought exactly i dont want to do it twice rather do it once and get it over with, not sure when i would be scheduling surgery but i see you are going in a few weeks good luck and i would get it all done and over with too. fill me in when you get there on how it is going and any tips i should know huh.. i found a wonderful cabin to stay in when i go it is i believe 16 minutes from the hospital on a golf course not that i care about that and has a nice hot tub and looks very relaxing.. looking forward to that even if i am drugged up lol...
T2T3 disc bulging 2mm
T12L1 disc bulging

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Sandra,

The poster, Maddie, had cervical and lumbar levels addressed in a single surgical session in Brazil with Dr Pimenta. She's did great while in Brazil and is having a great outcome. She might have some good input for you.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Yes, I can highly recommend having everything done at once. I can't imagine putting my body through two sessions of anesthetic if it isn't absolutely necessary, and while I had three incisions, only one, the ALIF was anything to really complain about.

Well, not complain really, but it definitely was a bigger deal and took longer to heal being twice as big as the other two. (A two inch XLIF incision on my left hip and a frontal horizontal incision on the left-ish side of my neck in a natural fold for the C5/6 NeoDisc ADR).

While we really enjoyed learning the culture in Sao Paulo, I don't think I'd want to do it twice while healing from major surgery Seriously, you would be basically doubling your costs and putting your body through so much more. The healing rate and pain from the separate incisions...three for me...were not in the least bit similar. If I had just had the XLIF or the ADR, it would have been much easier.

As I have been pushing ever since my surgery, I am sure that having an epidural both during and the day following surgery was instrumental in controlling my pain and the subsequent recovery. Those who have had similar surgeries without the epidural seem to suffer a fair bit more....and I am not stoic in the least and have significant problems with the pain medications not working on me.

But as everyone says, to each his/her own....

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 AM

Hi Maddie,

I am wondering if you would be willing to share your experience having a cervical and lumbar ADR at the same time.

Thank you in advance!

Lillyth
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.