ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Default More Work Needed

Well I am getting down to the time I have to make a decision. I am a 43 year old father of 3, with some unfortuante back problems. I had spondy and had l5/s1 fused three years ago.

I got back to a fairly normal life working and moderate recreation - easy skiing, tennis, golf and bikeriding. This summer I had a 18mm hernation at l4/5. It is pretty much driving me nutz and I want to get back to feeling normal and resume my life.

I have received the following recommendations from 4 different surgeons:

1. Wait and see since the herniation is not causing drop foot, etc.

2. Fuse l4/5 using XLIF - I think.

3. Fuse l4/5 and ADR at 2/3, since it is also degenerated. Doesn't want to put ADR at /4/5 since some arthritis.

4. ADR at l4/5 in germany with Dr B. He seems to think he can remove the herniation through the front and insert the ADR even though I some some arthritis at that level.

My expectations may be unrealistic, but I would only consider the procedure a sucess if I could continue working 40+ hrs a week at a desk job and could continue skiing and golfing with my kids. I am a very motivated person who has been in a fair amount of pain my whole adult life - so I'm can live with some pain - but what I've been going through is unacceptable.

Any experience out there with a second go round of surgery, a hybrid fusion or have the ADR done in the states v germany?

Also, any long time ADR patients out there. I wonder what I will be like 20 years from now if I have the ADR done.

Any advice is appreciated and have a great day!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Wraspondy,

Condolences on being here, but welcome.

While my problems are all cervical and much easier to treat than your lumbar issues, I've had three go-arounds with spine surgery and am expecting to have at least one more. I had a fusion in 2000, another fusion in 2002 (both in Dallas) and a double ADR in 2009 (Barcelona); and did very well with each one of them. Though I know there are many, the only lumbar patient whose handle I can pull up that has had multiple lumbar surgeries at a different level each time is davidj8121 (four ProDisc-L's with Dr Zigler at TBI/Plano). As of his last posting he was still doing very well and thrilled with his outcome. He hasn't posted for over a year, but might respond to a PM.

The only ADR that you can get today that has a 20+ year service record is the ProDisc. I've only seen one long term follow up study. It was a small sample of French recipients of the first version of the ProDisc, implanted from 1990 through 1993 (I think it was 93). The mean implant was 11 years old and the majority of which were still enjoying a quality of life greater than their pre-surgery condition.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Talking

Hi, welcome, I hope we can help you. Pls see this topic for your homework:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Thanks!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Thanks Jeff and Thanks Harrison for making this site. I watched the movie that you made. Thanks for putting information out there for this scary subject.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Conflicting Opinions on ADR

I have a fusion at L5/S1 - three years ago. I have two sets of opinions.

1. One US doctor and one german doc say ADR at l4/5.

2. One US doctor (who did my original surgery) and one Spanish doc say fuse l4/5 and ADR at l3/4, which is also degenerated. US doc says fusion at l4/5 because some arthritis and spanish doctor says screws at l4/5 may get in the way and cause facet issues.

Any opinions?