ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I was talking to a friend yesterday about his colleague's cervical issue. (I’ll call his buddie Steve). As it turns out, Steve may be getting a free artificial disc, in exchange for providing marketing services (testimonial, film footage, etc.) for the device company.

When I heard about this, I was a bit surprised. But then I thought back to 2004, before FDA approval and all the other challenges I endured. Back then, if the device company (if it was an artificial disc I believed was sound) offered, I would have gone for it!

But now, looking at all the different perspectives involved, I am not sure if this is an ethical situation. What do you all think about this situation?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Ethical, yes. Moral, maybe depends on whether or not they bury the stories when then ADR fails to succeed 100%. If Steve doesn't get all the marketeers want him to get, if they still mention his story or at least allude to those that weren't 100% successes, then you're just seeing the logical extension of advertising. I would ask him to be careful to disclose this when/if he posts on ADRsupport or any other website. Laura also pointed out that the exchange does place him in a bad position when it comes time for follow-up, choosing the best surgeon, repair of bad placements, subsidence, etc.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If they are offering him the type of disc that he wants, why shouldn't he accept a free one? Being a poster boy isn't bad in exchange. My 2 cents
I have had 4 car accidents and 2 play wrestling accidents from 1996-2003.
Diagnosed with DDD in 2005 at c5-c6-c7.
No insurance for 2 years.
November 2007, insurance! Yeah!
Trying to get into clinical studie