ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Glad you figured out the issue! Since you tolerated the ear plugs in the past, that leads me to think you have some pressure building up in there. Here are a few suggestions:

About three years ago, I put a Germ Guardian air cleaner in my bedroom. You can order them on Amazon and they come in two sizes. It made such a huge difference in how I slept that I have since picked up two more for the rest of the house. The air cleaners run 24/7 and haven't broken yet. I have headaches and neck pain all the time caused by my neck so, getting rid of the head pressure from allergies helps to not make me feel even worse.

http://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-A...H6DCGTH8DWMXN8

Costco has the generic Claritin. It's a very mild antihistamine. I take one at night during the spring and summer.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa....11602332.html

Continue to heal well
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM

I've been in the HVAC/R industry now for 40 years (this June) and it always AMAZES me how North Americans will spend $60,000 on an SUV and $5 once or twice a day for a Starbuck's coffee BUT the coffee's in the toilet in an hour and the SUV in 5 years has cost in annual fuel and insurance coupled with depreciation--$80,000, and now it's time to replace it before the tires, exhaust and brakes blow up so you can start incurring the next $80-90,000 depreciation all over again in something you spend less than 15 minutes/day in!!!!!!
Now.....once every 20-25 years, trying to get someone to put an efficient HVAC/R system into their house much less an environmentally respectful system and my 40 years is akin to asking a 5 year old to clean their room and bring their laundry down to the laundry room. They stomp their feet, hold their breath and throw themselves down on the kitchen floor whilst turning purple. Consequently, they usually crap the bed on doing the right thing and put in a lousy Indoor Air Quality heating system that sort of does the job. Since we've turned into such greed freaks committing all spending priorities over to the current acid test of either being able to justify 'the purchase' in stroking our ego or the lesser priority of 'payback' period.
Consequently the 'box in the basement with a complicated payback period causes us to live in cesspools in our houses with respect to viruses and bacteria although we'll spend $10,000/yr on questionable 'organic food'......no @$%^ way are we going to put in a 'proper' healthy HVAC/R system that we rely on being the stewards of our health for 16-24 hours a day....everyday.

Cynlite is onto something. That quasi PCO system coupled with HEPA is a way to neutralize the VOCs as well as filter out the dead skin and other 'dust'. I run two Air Purifiers in my two central systems 24/7. The air flow overhead is about $35/yr so it's $0.10/day and the system is responsible for 70% of the operation cost of my house so it's also 75% less in operating cost than a fossil fuel CO2/particulate spewing POS furnace and it lasts for 25 years not 15 yrs that fossil fuel furnace would last so at 1/3 through it's lifespan, it's paid for itself. Lets see that POS SUV come within 1000 miles of that!

Yup, I do feel passionate on this and it proved itself with my 3 incredibly healthy daughters and prevented probably 90% of communicable diseases in the house when they were growing up and coupled with my mtn biking and oil of oregano, have prevented me from getting the flu or a cold for basically the last 20 years.
But unfortunately our priorities are on decided by 'stuff' that is ego stroking or 'don't have the money' hypocritical excuses that see the same proponent dumping 3X as much money into 'cool stuff' a week later. We reap what we sow......and although smart men learns by their mistakes.....wise men learn by the mistakes of others.......most of us are smart......not wise!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:38 PM

You could definitely be onto something. We are snow birds and spent the last 5 months in our 30 year old house in SoCal which has an old HVAC system that circulates air from the garage. This is where my vertigo started.

In Canada we live in a new house with air exchanger and we keep an IQair hepa filter runnin24/7. Sometimes wonder if there is a point to running the filter ... perhaps it's a good thing!
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:34 PM

The air quality can make a huge difference in one's health. My company moved me to Reno many years ago. I battled with bronchitis every 3 - 4 months for 2 1/2 years and was constantly on antibiotics there. Finally, I quit the job and moved back home and have not had bronchitis since, in over 20 years! I believe I was allergic to the fire place smoke there.

I just looked up the unit you mentioned. Perhaps I need to upgrade my equipment

I didn't understand all the terms Fathub said but, I'll do some research on it when I feel a little better. It makes sense to invest in a home system that does a great job keeping the environment in the home clean. I've already proven that to myself with my small room units.

I hope you are back at your home in Canada now!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 AM

Cynlite, we sold our house in SoCal and heading back to Canada in 2 weeks. We keep the hepa filter in our bedroom given that we spend a good amount of time sleeping. It's not a small unit but we've had it for 12 years and it's been running like a charm. Replacement filters are not cheap but last quite some time. The unit had excellent reviews back then and appears to be still receiving great reviews.

My husband has asthma and it has made a significant difference to his quality of life.
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlite View Post
The air quality can make a huge difference in one's health. My company moved me to Reno many years ago. I battled with bronchitis every 3 - 4 months for 2 1/2 years and was constantly on antibiotics there. Finally, I quit the job and moved back home and have not had bronchitis since, in over 20 years! I believe I was allergic to the fire place smoke there.

I just looked up the unit you mentioned. Perhaps I need to upgrade my equipment

I didn't understand all the terms Fathub said but, I'll do some research on it when I feel a little better. It makes sense to invest in a home system that does a great job keeping the environment in the home clean. I've already proven that to myself with my small room units.

I hope you are back at your home in Canada now!
There are 3 main things to deal with in this realm.
1) dirt/pollen/dust and a HEPA filter will take care of most of that.
2) you have floating bacteria and viruses in the air in a home and a 'capture and kill' filter system is a recommended way to deal with that. There are some manufacturers that actually claim they can eliminate/kill Anthrax. A LOT of the stuff that infects us and quietly invades our bodies to latently hide for years to later rear their ugly heads (watch Harrison's video on Bio Film) are in those bacteria and viruses. The system to deal with this is 'usually a charged electrostatic field (wires) and then alternating voltages for collector plates to pick up the charged particles and the opposite charged plates pick up the relatively opposite charged particles.
3) Pressed board, plastics, carpets, electronics etc have Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) that gas off into our living spaces for years and years and these are known to alter body functions and affect all sorts of our health in almost genetic mutation form. The most effective way to deal with this is a Photo Catalytic Oxygenation (PCO) unit and this usually comes with the 'Titanium Dioxide' reactors that work with UV lights.

A Really good Air Purification system will deal with all three. When I got in the HVAC/R trade, filters were tens of thousands a piece and lasted a few years....now we can buy them for a few hundred dollars so it's really easy to stay healthy.

The bronchitis is the standing water in your air conditioner drain pan and all the blacky green goo that's in there that infects my cuts when I work on them.....it's basically Legionella. Drop a cap (yes just the cap of the bottle) of bleach into the drain pan a couple times through the 'cooling' season starting from the beginning and you'll be fine......