ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:01 PM

<rant>

Grrrrrrr...........
(not the words I really want)

I finally make the call to Dr. Y to try and schedule 1 level Prodisc + 1 level Prodisc off-label, and I find out that Synthes is not "allowing" off-label Prodisc usage for 'an indefinite amount of time'.

Meaning, of course, had I made this call 6 months ago, I would already have been operated and, done, and fine. But...because I am stupid enough to have waited, I get screwed all over again (don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Dr. Y).

I guess this doesn't leave me with much options, other than Dr. B once again, which was (probably) the cheapest solution to begin with. What is the coordinator's email address again???

</rant>

David
Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM

sorry to hear that after waiting so long.
patient-affairs@pro-spine.com
theres a good place to start anita should pick right up on it..
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 PM

Have you discussed fusion at L5-S1 and Pro-Disc on the higher level? The reason is that when I spoke to Dr. Regan, he didn't think that was such a bad idea.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Have you discussed fusion at L5-S1 and Pro-Disc on the higher level? The reason is that when I spoke to Dr. Regan, he didn't think that was such a bad idea.
Actually, yes. About 5 minutes ago, I just had that very conversation with Dr. Y about that.

I gave him and his surgical coordinator the go ahead to try and schedule me for Prodisc @L4-L5 and fusion @L5-S1.

In my opinion (after years of medical school...NOT!), it remains to be seen if ADR will put 'extra' stress on a lower fusion level, but some studies have indicated that the loss in range of motion for fusion @L5-S1 isn't noticeable.

Therefore, it is definitely worth the shot.

David
Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 AM

To respond to my previous post (since I didn't sleep last night and made it to work over an hour earlier than normal), I guess I am giving Dr. Y one last option before I offically 'give up' and go the Germany route.

I know that Germany has the best surgeons available for the most reasonable cost, yet something (inside me) that I am still unable to identify seems to be holding me back.

To be honest, I think that I have about 3 possible scenarios:

1. Insurance covers Prodisc/Fusion 100%: Then I have a tough decision to make.
2. Insurance won't cover Prodisc/Fusion at all: Easy decision to make.
3. (Highly likely) Insurance will cover Fusion, but not Prodisc: this would probably mean around $12k in costs for me, which is significantly less than around $40k for Dr. B.

Ultimately, I guess the question is whether or not I would be better off with L4-L5 Prodisc & L5-S1 Fusion, or L4-L5 Prodisc and L5-S1 Prodisc? Some of the studies I have read tend to indicate that ADR @ L5-S1 doesn't seem to offer much advantages over Fusion, which is the primary reason why I am even considering it. Even though I have known for the last two years that I have wanted ADR over Fusion, I guess I (maybe?) should be realistic and at least consider the option (?!)

David
Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 AM

well david
one problem with the fusion is healing time its much greater.and the possbily of a non fusion
althou you are correct in maken the statement about there not being much movement at s1-l5. the other question is and i didnt think much about it before is how much disc height have you lost? as i was bone to bone and i have had god awefull leg pain since about 5 days after surgery it just keeps going day after day its now been going on 9 weeks postop.
but is getting better. thank god.now my room mate in germany was larry he is 26 and didnt have much lost and at 6 weeks postop he only has muscle pain from PT. and i was running cirles arround him in the hospital as apossed to now where im praying to be able to return to work at 12 weeks. you have a tough call. but if you go to dr b cost diff isnt going to be much diff from two adr or adr and a fusion. the charge for the device was 4500 euro.
good luck to you in which ever route you take.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 AM

david
your films dont appear to show to much disc height lose so you should fair well.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:
david
your films dont appear to show to much disc height lose so you should fair well.
You make some excellent points, and thanks for taking a look and offering some advice.

I imagine that the recovery period for a 2 level Prodisc versus 1 level Prodisc + fusion is probably somewhat similar (although you are right 2 Prodisc would probably be a bit better). Neither is a walk in the park though.

Really a tough decision, no matter how I look at it .... At this point, I guess I will see what my insurance company says, and go from there.

David
Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 AM

well i am a single level at l4-l5. and larry had 2 prodisc at l4-l5 and s1-l5 i believe i do have have a picture of his x-ray. larry was back to school and had pains but from PT in less then 6 weeks.
i am 9 weeks postop and my legs from my knees down in the morning feel like i had them tucked up under my butt all night.which sucks i had no idea how bad the distraction pain would be. i knew before surgery that i would hurt more durning recovery then i did pior to surgery. i though how bad could it be. well on day 5 or 6 after surgery my legs just about stopped working and it took all i had to walk about and forget about sleeping ack!! but as i said my disc pain had stopped about 3 months before surgery because the nerve had been wore away all i felt was rubbing of bones. i think you should just do it go see dr b and let him work his magic. and one thing i found is once i chose dr b i didnt worry about the surgeon any more that i would recieve the best possbile outcome. all i had to do is be there.althou after the lala pills before surgery i got sarced to death being as i never was under the knife and the first time,just happened to be spine surgery.
and fusion was out of the question as i am a smoker so that wasnt in the cards. what it came down to was i was just plain out of time when it came to this surgery. either bite the bullet and pay out of pocket or fusion was to become my only chose.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 AM

I am pretty much out of options at this point...

Either I could try and have Prodisc + Fusion here with Dr. Y, or I could go with Dr. B, whom I have almost chosen several times over (and, in retrospect, whom I should have chosen a couple of years ago).

To be honest, I wonder if the whole Prodisc + Fusion gamble is even worth the time and effort? I know that Dr. Y is an experienced surgeon and would do a great job, but I seriously doubt my insurance is going to agree to cover it.

If I have to go out of pocket for any costs, I probably should just suck it up and pay the best available (can you tell that I am just trying to talk myself into it?)

David