ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Default newbie here

This all started back in june 2009 when I was driving and out of nowhere I was hit head on by a driver texting. After waking up I had the pain in the neck and other pains but the neck was there. I had a brace around my head and straped so I cound not move a nurse holding my hand as I woke telling me to relax and try not to move. I was scared and told I was in a accident and at the hosipital.

The staff had taken a cat scan of my head neck and thought they saw a chip on the post at the top of the spine the reason I was strapped down. It turned out negative whew! I was told to take Advil as needed for pain.

Fast forward, The ER was so relieved that my post was ok the c4/c5 heriated disc was missed. I started to get pain in the left shoulder first. I went to the Ortho DR. for the shoulder pain I was told I had a impingment in the shoulder and recomended a corozone shot for it.So I went for it.

It didn't work.I asked for anything for pain and he said just keep taking Advil.I was up to 12 advil a day by then he said it was ok. I started going to a chriopractor, of course they needed xrays of my neck/shoulder. They put together a program of ajustments I said ok. 4 months later I was in worse pain so bad that I was losing it with anyone and everyone. I went to the ortho again and they sent me for a MRI, I went to the standup mri in New Haven CT.

The findings were bulging/heriated disc c4/c5 I could see it on the mri copy I had.

I went to the chriopractor and gave them a copy and told them that I had a disc problem and they said there is nothing wrong with your discs! After the Ortho Dr. got the results I went in to see him he explained what was going on in the neck and recomended 3 steriod injections in the neck he said it would calm down the affected nerve. I agreed and we moved forward.
The first shot was a relief after about 4-5 hours,It lasted about a week and then back to pain. The next shot was the same but was good for about 3 weeks but the pain didn't get to bad after that. We went for the third this one hit the mark,the pain was gone after 15 mins and lasted for 5 months. I still was taking Advil for my neck muscles that were always tight.

I had gone to my PCP for a checkup/physcial exam she thought that I should try neurotion she said it should calm down the nerve endings. I asked her about side affects and she said the were minor. I would try anything to get back to normal. Well either it was me or the drug but I was a idiot after taking the first 3 pills! But I tryed to shake it off and move forward but after a week I was nearly comatose and could barely talk and when I did it made no sense. My wife brought me to the ER and and admitted for a overnight stay.

The Ortho Dr, wanted me to try Physical therapy so I gave it a try. At first it was ok and really didn't bother me. But as it went along it was way to much the pain started again so I said no more.

I just thought I would have to live with this. Now my Ortho Dr. who I just saw a couple of weeks ago said I could have a second round of shots so I jumped at the chance because it seemed to work for me. I got the shot and something new happened I felt pain after the shot in my neck muscles and into my left hand. After two hours it went away and I felt better, but it only lasted two days.

I went to see him for the follow up and he said no more shots and the next thing should be a screw plate to stabilize the disc. And he gave me a script for celebrex 200mg.

Up to this point I have gone along with the Doctors that I have seen,I mean they are Doctors they should know what is best for me. I am a Cabinet Maker I know wood not spines. So here I am, the plate and fusion are not for me. My wife has a massive lumbar fusion and now has spinal stenios that had to be operated on 2 years ago she still is a mess. I started reading about the ADR surgery and I think this could be right for me.I am very active and can't imagine living like this.

I have read and read and like what I read about the M6c replacement disc. At this point I need to pull the trigger and decide what to do.

Thanks for listening
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Pat-

So sorry to hear of your neck problems. I hate when I hear of other who text, or make cell phone calls, or drink when they drive, and just don't care about anyone else on the road.
Yet now that it is about 18 months later, and you were right to start with conservative therapies and see how you did. I guess now it's surgery time.

You'll get many suggestions from all the helpful people on this forum, so here is mine:

If at all possible and you will consider it, there is an excellent doctor up in your area at Yale Medical in New Haven named Dr James Yue (James Yue, MD: Yale Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation | Clinical Faculty: James Yue, MD). He is one of the best ADR surgeons up in the northeast. I don't think he does the M6 (I think that's just Europe now, but I may be wrong), but he has so much experience with Spine issues, ADR, etc... Do research on him, see others posts, etc .. and you'll see. I'm just thinking what I would do if I were up there. There is also a great Doctor in NY named Dr Fabien Bitan out of Lenox Hill Hospital (or the Hospital for Special Surgery), and he is also one of the best for ADR and Spine issues. I would want to go see the best I could to get the best counsel/advice, recommendations and treatment. Dr Yue is so close to you and having the best diagnosis beforehand is so critical.

Anyway, I wish you the best and I am sure others will post and give you great feedback!

Ken
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Hi Pat, sorry you are here. Have you spent some time looking through the posts? Especially the post-op outcomes?

I hope we can help...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM

I have read alot,but not all. I will read and learn, it is time for me to take charge of my problem and do what is best for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 AM

Heard good things about Mr Nick Boeree in the UK with lumbar patients using the M6. Think he does M6 cervical as well.
2007 L5/S1 Facet deterioration, Loss of disc height.
2002 March - ADR Charite - L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 PM

I would like to put a edit in my first post.
I asked and recieved test results from the last mri I had I had never seen the the results just went from what I was told.
The findings are on the report but since I am not a doctor I don't understand it.But here it is:
* C4-5 disc osteophyte complex that is broadbased and left posterolateral in nature, right paracentral disc heriation.
*C6-7 posterior central and right paracentral disc herniation
So it looks like 2 discs are in trouble,I calledthe ortho that I have been seeing to ask why he only ever talked about the c4-5 disc. His receptionist says he would call me back.I'm spining now.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Default Still kicking

I have lost my insurance/job because of the downturn in the economy. Now I have been put on medicad,no chance of getting anything done thru that insurance although they do pay for all meds. I am waiting for my atty to finish with the accident lawsuit then I will get the adr done.