ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM

Has anyone here been diagnosed as having Spina Bifida Occulta or Pars Sclerosis? I have & both happen to be at the same level as my unhappy disc. I was just wondering if anyone else has either of these conditions & wether or not that kept them from having the ADR surgery.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 PM

Nairek,

Spina Bifida Occulta is when the spine does not develop correctly. Another member was born w/out a facet joint and this may have been the reason. She had a fusion at that level and 2 ADR�s above.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.asbha.org.au/Occulta.htm

Fusion may be a good option for you due to this. Has a doctors said you were a candidate for ADR? Something to look into if you�re considering surgery.

Good Luck
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 PM

Paulette,
Thank you for your response as well as the link! My current surgeon has told me that I was a good canidate for the ADR surgery. When I seen him yesterday & asked him if the SBO would pose a problem, he told me that it shouldn't. Now, my surgeon has only done 6 of the ADR surgeries, 1 of them was a 2 level. His feeling is that I should have the ADR & if that fails, then I would move on to a fusion. ::::sigh:::: I'm going for a 2nd opinon at Beth Israel next week & we'll see what they say. Thank you again for your time!
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Nairek,

Glad to see you will be getting a second opinion. When it was all said and done for me I got 9 opinions. One more thing because this is a very new surgery and you have SBO and doctor experience is very important and has been discussed here many times, I would not want to be in the first 25 of any surgeon�s learning curve.

Dr Yue is one of the top docs in your area that I know of here is his information:

James, J. Yue, M.D.
Yale University
Department of
Orthopaedic Surgery
800 Howard Avenue
New Haven, CT
203-737-5656
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything