ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Hey Guys,

I injuried my back in 2002 while flying for a Texas based airline. I tried to fight it off with all conservative methods but that finally came to an abrupt end in 2006. I had been told by several surgeons I needed surgery but was to sturborn. In March 2006 had an emergency microdisectomy L 4-5. Best thing I ever did. Other than nerve pain I recovered very fast. Needles to say I have not been able to touch an airplane for 2 years. I am able to work though. I have been very active and have been enjoying life with many more good days than bad days. 2 weeks ago I started feeling the nere pain increasing. I had an MRI and it shower more herniation on the same disc. PM Dr. sent me back to NS and he wants to fuse it. I love to play golf and do not want to be fused. Another pilot buddy who had 2 level adr suggested Dr. Zigler at TBI so I called and will be there next week. I hope my insurance will pay but I am fortunate to pay myself if needed.

My question is what to expect at TBI and if there are any pilots out there that have had this procedure? Did the FAA give you trouble? I really miss the sky. Also any golfers out there that have had ADR?

Thanks in Advance
Herniated L4-5 Dec 2002. Chripractor, PT, PM-ESI's, RF Facet Joints, Discogrophy, Mylogram CT, Ruptured in March 2006. Microdisectomy. Re Herniated in April 2008. Scheduled in late July 2008 at TBI for L 4-5 ADR.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Hi:

I do not know much about Dr. Zigler, I have heard his name associated with adr surgery, but I have heard TBI named as one of the centers that have the most adr experience in the U.S.

I used to play alot of golf but have not been able to since 2004. In Februay I had the Prodisc surgery at L4L5 and sure hope this will enable me to golf again in the future. I have read of other people playing golf regularly after successful adr surgery. I did read you should not even consider golfing for at least a year after adr due to the twisting nature in the spine involved in the golf swing. I also chose adr over the fusion that was initially recommended to me because I felt this would give me the best chance to keep much more range of motion. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

lumbar lami 1998
lami revision 2004
Prodisc L4L5 February 2008
Hurt back staining deck in 1997--No back pain, all in right leg--misdiagnosed in urgent care as strained ligament in leg--reinjured 3 months later--tried physical therapy, vax d decompression without success. Lumbar lam L4/L5 in 1998--reinjured in 2
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Your signature mentions RF ablation done to your facet joints. Facet damage isn't a contraindication in the sense that surgeons and device manufacturers have listed it officially as such but it is a bad indicator for ADR. Some people with facet damage do improve after ADR but seemingly not as many as get worse.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

There are lots of golfers and lots of pilots that have passed through here....one man in SC is both. I talked to him a while back; I'll try to email him soon.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-24-2008, 06:37 PM

There wass a Pilot that went through Stenum when I was there and he flew for another year after his one level SI-L5 disc replacement. He then had the mandatory retirement at the age of 61 or so.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM

I am having a two level adr at C-5,6,7 by Dr. Zigler at TBI. We have been getting all the paper stuff done and hopefully I will receive a call tomorrow on a date. Dr. Zigler is a very knowledgeable doctor and has been in on several studies and has many adr surgeries under his belt. You can find some of his papers at the TBI Website and other areas on the web. My Neuro Dr. Brent Hisey (OK) referred me to him because he was not certified to do a two level adr. I went down to TBI and I liked Dr. Zigler and I don't think you will be dissapointed. He also has some experience writing letters to get approval. He helped me on my OK Workers Comp. so he could probably assist you too if you let him know up front what you are trying to accomplish.
HELMET BELIEVER!
Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Well I never made it to TBI for the ADR. The pain got so intense I had to get my nuero here to do a L 4-5 micro redo. He said he took out a fairly large chunk of disk and did not think I would ever be a candidate for ADR because my facets are to bad.

I have not one pain in my body except for the scar. I was out of the hospital in less than 24 hours and I feel great.

I was very impressed with Dr. Zeigler and TBI but I could not wait any longer. I was eating pain pills like candy and I drew the line in the sand after I drove myself to ER at 1:00 a.m. Sunday Morning.

I do think we should all get as many opinions as we can about ADR and Facets before going through such a major surgery.
Herniated L4-5 Dec 2002. Chripractor, PT, PM-ESI's, RF Facet Joints, Discogrophy, Mylogram CT, Ruptured in March 2006. Microdisectomy. Re Herniated in April 2008. Scheduled in late July 2008 at TBI for L 4-5 ADR.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 AM

Pilot, very happy for you that you are pain free! Not many on here can lay claim to that.
Here's hoping your micrdiscectomy holds and you can get back to flying soon.
Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Hi Cathy, how are you doing? Any improvements as yet??
Keep posting...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Hey Piloto,

Well it is great that the micro disc worked. I flew for years and now am a locomotive engineer. I hope I will be able to sit for at least two hours or it is a new career for me. I would be careful with the feeling good it sounds as if it has made a mess for some people who do too much to soon after micros. Good luck and Godspeed!
Discogram 10FEB08
ADR Prodisc L 10JUN08
Discogram 08APR09 for gnawing 3+ pain when sitting results negative
Facet injection L4/5 upcoming 03JUN09 Cancelled because pain is subsiding
Follow up on 01JUL09 with Dr. D