ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Default Looking for advice

Hi Everyone. This is my first post. I've got degenerative L4-L5 discs. Pain has been getting worse as the years roll on. I have tried a lot of things to help. Started out with regular chirporactic treataments, at least 4 cycles of physical therapy, etc. Im now at the point where my physical activity level is too low, as doing almost anything athletic (even using that term loosely) is too painful.

Ive seen many many doctors, most recently a surgeon who recommended 3 level fusion. I had the discogram to confirm the diagnosis, but cant bring myself to do the surgery. Ive been thinking about ADR but really know nothing other than what I have learned on the web, which is hard to trust. A doctor recommended by someone I trust is set to see me in a few weeks, to tell me if he thinks I may be a canduidate for ADR. I'd love any input from anyone who has any, including what questions I should ask, their experiences if they are willing to share them, and anything else that might be relevant.

Im generally a very positive person, and Im doing my best to maintain hope, but the journey has been trying, and seemingly getting worse. Im 44, was, until 2 years ago, very active in sports (basketball, baseball, weightlifting, cardio, etc...), and looking to get my life back. Anyone who is able to provide some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Read through the surgical outcomes, especially the multi level ones.
We are all trying to report on our posts how we are doing in our lives after receiving ADR's.
The fact that you are hesitating on a fusion says you are unsure and we have all been in that boat.
Read, read and educate yourself. That's my advice.
Unfortunately, doctor's in America are going to recommend what they can do to fix you in America. Leaving the country gives you more options and American doctors aren't usually so willing to send us overseas along with our monies.
You can't get more than one level ADR here so most doctor's here are going to probably tell you to do a fusion simply because that's all they can do.
Sometimes, fusion is the answer but you want to know that it's the right thing for you and it's not just recommended because that's all that is approved here.
I would also recommend that you contact two different doctor's outside of the country.
That way, you'll have two opinions to way against each other from doctor's who can do a triple ADR if that's what you need.
Some charge for a consultation with you, but it is money well spent.
You're on the right road, getting on the internet to research.
Take matters into your hands and read, make a list of questions and pick a few doctors to consult with. Listen to your gut.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^

What Vicki said

L5S1 ADR with Nick Boeree 22-2-12 using the M6

No painkillers required after surgery from day 3 onwards. Now able to run and live free again. Back to work in full duty
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Thank you both. Its really encouragong to find someone out there who knows what this is like. Vicki, I saw in another thread that you had your surgery in last year, I hope everything going well for you.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal57 View Post
Ive seen many many doctors, most recently a surgeon who recommended 3 level fusion. I had the discogram to confirm the diagnosis, but cant bring myself to do the surgery. Ive been thinking about ADR but really know nothing other than what I have learned on the web, which is hard to trust.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your condition. I was in your situation about 7 months ago and have slowly started to witness some major improvements after under going ADR w/ the Prodisc L. I still have some limitations but am learning what they are and continue to improve day by day. As the other members have recommended, and I will too, look at the surgical outcome section there are some really informational posts/threads there that should help you find some of the answers you are looking for. I am curious to know why your surgeon recommends you have a 3 level fusion when the title of your thread mentions DDD at the L4-L5 level (single level) and then your signature line states DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1 (two level). Do you have other levels that are problematic as well besides L4 through S1? Good luck with your search and if you have questions just ask.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I just read your surgical outcomes thread, and I hope things are continuing to improve for you.

In my confusion, I made a mistake in my original post. I was recommended a 2 level fusion, not 3. Im learning quickly that the good people on this site know much more than I do, in fact many seem to know as much or more than most of the doctors Ive met with. This site is a real blessing.

If you don't mind my asking, I'd really like to get a better sense of your activity level capabilities at this point. It sounds like you were very active before your back problems, as was I. I still lift weights 3-4/week, but I have had to really limit what I can do, both the types of exercises, as well as the amount of weight. Im extremely careful about anything that puts stress on my lower back. I also try to walk a slow mile on the treadmill every other day, but that tends to lead to problems, like back spasms and nerve pain in my glutes and legs if I go even a little more than a slow walk. Its not much, but Im fighting like crazy to stay as active as I can. The activity makes me feel better mentally, and as I am also diabetic, it helps marginally with my glucose control. But I really need to increase the exercise dramtically if its going to be a real factor for me in my diabetic control regime.

Which leads me to my question about your activity level. Are you able at this point to do any rigorous exercise? If not, do you feel like you ever will be? If your history is an indicator, I can imagine it must be tough for you to restrict your exercise.

I still have dreams of getting back to my 2x/week basketball game and lengthy bike rides. I doubt I ever would actually play hoops again, even if my back would let me, but it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Glad that you have found us here, and I am sure you are learning a lot by reading this site...I know I found it so helpfully when I started thinking about adr surgery.

Wishing you all the best at your appointment. It is always a great idea to get multiple opinions. Are you considering getting any opinions from the surgeons overseas, or will you be staying local? I would ask the surgeon how many adrs they have done and what their expectations are for how much improvement they expect.

I had my adr 8 weeks ago, and while it has not been a miraculous recovery, I am pleased so far.

Look forward to hearing how your appointment goes.
ADR L5/S1 Maverick L5/S1 Feb 6th 2012
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Three Level ADR

Hi,

I like you was extremely active prior to the onset of my pain. I regularly participated in olympic to half ironman distance triathlon, long distance running, was a gym rat and played tennis at least 4 times a week. As I am sure you can imagine loss of mobility just about did me in mentally. I spent 3 1/2 years chasing my tail (no pun intended) as I exhausted all options available to me.

I was advised by 3 US MDs that I needed an ADR due to multiple level DDD with rupture. A discogram was positive for L2-L4 with L4- L5 looked like a train wreck, massive tear but not particularly painful.

When my US MDs each discovered they would not be performing an ADR on me as I needed a multiple level and am allergic to nickel, they changed their treatment plans to include only what they were able to offer.

Long story short--I had a 3 level M6 with Dr. Clavel in Barcelona 3/14-3 weeks to the day! I was super specific about what were realistic postop goals as I am at a point were I was limited to a recliner with narcs.

He believes I should be running by 6 months with full return to all including triathlon at a year. He did say, you bear the risk of trauma if you fall. This is why I am looking at a year for tennis as I am deconditioned and need time to rebuild.

As you will see on the site, everyone has their own level of acceptance of physical limitation. Mine is rather slim. I cannot wait to run! I will see about triathlons, I am abit afraid to fall off the bike, one of the generator of my ruptures was a bike wreck at 20 mph during a race.

My biggest problem postop is how to pace myself as I feel sooo good, I walked 3 miles-in 3 sessions 3 days ago, a bit overdone, slept most of the next day. But the lack of pain makes it hard to remembeer to slow down

Good luck on your search, I think the decision making is the hardest part. So far I could not be happier!

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Question

Hey Jackal, welcome to our online community. Sorry to ask, but I think it is a good question: to what do you attribute your multilevel disc degeneration? Stated differently, what do you think were the top three factors that are creating the lumbar DDD?

I am not convinced that DDD is always based on one factor. We've talked about this for years; but some times, when I ask, people will bring up various risk factors:

- accidents: automobile, falling, assaults, sports;
- infection: Lyme disease, unexplained childhood illness, hospital procedures (even Botox or steroid injections);
- poor diet, lack of exercise;
- other: congenital or unusual pathological conditions that affect the spine.

OK, 'nuff said. Have to go back to admin role.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingie View Post
My biggest problem postop is how to pace myself as I feel sooo good, I walked 3 miles-in 3 sessions 3 days ago, a bit overdone, slept most of the next day. But the lack of pain makes it hard to remembeer to slow down
Isn't that a GREAT new problem to have!?
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011