ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

As some of you know, �Bill� is having an unusual birthday present today -- surgery to remove battery that was implanted when he had a 3 level ProDisc ADR. His recovery has been incredible.

Bill, for the new folks on the forum, perhaps you could elaborate on the battery�s role in your post-op recovery. Let us know how your �delivery� went!

PS: See your email for the - �Top 10 ADR Questions for the Doctor�
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 AM

Thanks Rich.

Yesterday was a long day. Was told to be at hospital at 10:30 for procedure at 11:30. Well they didn't roll me into operating room until after 3. By then I had a huge headache and as a result of lack of food as no food before midnight. Boy, was I miserable. Fort. the procedure was pretty quick and we were out of hospital by 5:30 and on the road home and believe it or not, traffic wasn't too bad for a holiday evening.

The removal went well and my BUTT is sore now. Didn't sleep too well as I have only been icing the area and refuse to medicate.

The battery was removed as it was still causing my only pain. The area was sore to touch and numb most of the time. Just was plain uncomfortable. The spinal cord stimulator was wonderful while I needed it but since I haven't used it since my ADR surgery, there was no need to continue with discomfort of the battery. The SCS was implanted about a year and half prior to my ADR. I had planned on waiting until after the new year as I had enough with ADR surgery, but my brain kicked in and reminded me that I already met my $1,000 deductible and why pay that extra money next year. I hope I don't need to use my insurance much next year!!!

In addition, I only had the battery removed and the wires remain inside me. That is due to it being a much more extensive surgery to remove the wires and not really necessary. I would have been cut open in two different areas and would have required some down time, of which I did not want.

Anyway, today will be another sore day and I might eventually succumb to some meds, but for now going to try and make it thru the day. By tomorrow pain should subside and just leave my BUTT black and blue a bit. Staples removed in 10 days and back to my new life post-ADR.

Anyway, thanks Rich and I hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Bill

Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Banned

Bill,

I am glad the removal went well and that you are able to have a few extra days of recovery over the weekend.

We truly have a lot to be thankful for! Happy B-day too!

Justin
Old 11-26-2004, 09:51 PM

Thanks Justin. I am so thankful its gone. Now I just can't wait for the swelling to go down and the staples to come out. Been sitting on ice now for 2 days but today its much better. Started taking some ibuprofen last night to and that helped alot also.

I was offered the old narcotics and declined taking prescription, had some pills here at home so knew if necessary I would have them but just didn't want to touch them.

Thanks for checking in, all is well. Take care,

Bill

Old 11-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Hi Bill,
well here I am, shouting from the sidelines -- -- -- wishing you well -- -- and hoping this all works out for you. This sounds like a real first for people in your position.

I didn't want to shout and cheer too soon -- -- just in case it didn't work out. It looks as if you're on a winning roll now Bill, take a steady and lets hope this is you back to your usual self -- -- --lol
Very Best Wishes ,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks Alastair.

Just hoping that the removal of the battery will take away the last bit of discomfort I was having. We'll see. Third time they cut into my butt(LOL) to work on battery so for all I know they could have just irritated it more and I could be sorry I did it. Time will tell. But the battery was SO BIG, about the size of one's hand, a new one that was to last up to 5 years. I didn't want it, I wanted the older smaller one that you replace yearly but didn't get it. Had it been the smaller one I would have left it in there, but every step I took you could see it pushing out the skin like someone poking a pen from the inside out of me and it was quite irritating also.

Anyway, its out and I feel much better today. What stinks the most is that I had a such a program down working out, that I now have to stop for 10+ days until the staples are removed. I think there are 14 of them! YUCK.

Take care, and have a good day all.

Bill

Old 11-27-2004, 05:32 PM

can i ask what a battery is - i have never heard of this and why was it done?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:39 PM

The battery was what operated my spinal cord stimulator. Now that I don't use it, and it was bothersome, it was removed.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 PM

Hi Bill,

Talk about a pain in the butt! Atleast the worst part of that it over with. Even though things are a bit painful - it feels good to be able to shed one self of these assistive devices. Things should only get better from here.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:52 AM

Thanks Sue,

I am feeling much better but cannot wait until the staples are removed!!!

They are literally pain in the butt!!!

Take care,

bill