ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 PM

So, I've gotten the first two denials for disc arthroplasty (no real effort on my part, yet....just the standard form letters so far). I'm waiting to get some answers from my doc regarding other disc options (that are not yet approved), and wonder what happens if I:
a. Drop it now, while I wait to get answers, to probably bring it up again in the next 12-18 mos
b. Continue the appeals process, but wait to have any surgery until newer disc designs are approved (total optimist here, assuming I will eventually win the argument!)

Will the insurance company approve the surgery without knowing which disc will be used? All I can see is petitioning for disc arthroplasty, not which specific disc is being proposed (though it is currently the ProDisc.....not sure I want that one, though, which is the reason for the question...)

BTW, we are talking about Anthem/Blue Cross. Ain't it grand? So, while I am awaiting answers from this group, I am going to call my doc's office to pursue answers to the myriad questions I posed a couple weeks ago (in written form...) and have yet to get answered.

thanks, all!!

Susan/ERvet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 PM

You need to check your insurance company's rules for filing appeals because there is probably a time limit for each level of appeal.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Susan,

In California, Blue Cross/Anthem/Wellpoint, is being sued by the district attorney of Los Angeles. See www.protectingtheinsured.com.
They are being accused of criminal activities in denying coverage of procedures and illegal recisions, etc..

Good luck,

Kimmers
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

When I was in the denial/appeal process, I had PacifiCare. I was told that I could start a whole new appeal process for each new manufac of disc. I don't know if your ins has the same approach so you must call and ask. With that being said...you cannot just forget about an appeal for awhile and then pick it up when you want to. I agree with Saharo said, if you don't file appeals within the timeframes set by your Ins co. rules, you lose your right to appeal. It's all very strict.

In order for you to get to the appeal stage, your surgeon would have had to submit a pre auth for a specific surgery with a specific disc. It's not a general request for back surgery. So, on this level, your post is a little confusing. Ask your dr office which disc they submitted and ask your ins company for all of your records justifying their denial decision.

And, I don't think you get that many levels to appeal. Has your ins co informed you that you get a 3rd appeal level? Or are you at the stage where your only recourse to appeal to the State Dept of Ins (which is also usually futile) Please be aware that the State Dept of Ins may not let you file appeals for more than one surgery/one disc manufacturer...call before making any final decisions of what to do.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM

BTW..Kimmers,

You are always so full of interesting info! Hope you're doing as well as I am.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM

kimmers, LBP, sahuaro:

Well, that answers my questions! thanks. So I guess I get to keep on fighting.....BUT, suppose I do drop it now, and when new discs are approved (as I assume they eventually will be...) can I have my surgeon submit a new request? I suppose these are questions for the insurance company, assuming they will give me a straight answer. Perhaps now is the time to see if my hospital's corporate parent has some sort of patient advocate, eh? Thanks for the info, I really have no idea how insurance companies work, which is exactly where they like us, eh?

Susan/ERvet
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Your insurance company is certainly not your friend in this process. They are more than happy leading you along to a path which will result in a denial - hopefully by tripping you up on some written procedure within their plan document, which you fail to comply with. Your hospital might deal with this insurer on a daily basis - do you really think they would be a strong advocate for you?

It seems like now would be a good time to consult with an insurance attorney. It would only take about one hour and would help you better frame the steps that you may want to consider within the appeals process. Notice the reputation that your insurer has and no doubt will continue enhancing until forced to alter their behavior. Their game is denial! It's all about the money. The brief that the state has filed against the insurance company most likely will have brief discussions of their egregious behavior against certain patients/beneficiaries and sometimes plaintiff's attorneys will be mentioned. This is an excellent source to mine for attorneys because they already know the "deal" and have experience with the insurance company. Typically these attorneys were the catalyst for the state to actually take action.

Even if you don't want the Pro Disc, it seems like it would be prudent to continue with the entire appeals process. You may change your mind regarding the Pro Disc, your back may get worse and necessitate more immediate surgery (which is now approved or near being approved), you will learn a lot from working through the process once and be better prepared for round two (the appeal for the artificial disc that you really want, that is now FDA approved), approval of a Pro Disc ADR may also provide you leverage, in negotiating for the disc, you really want to have implanted (e.g. trading horses with the insurer - Pro Disc is more money than Prestige, so "how about it?").

Anyway just my $.02!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 AM

Epiphaknee:

Good advice.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Susan -

No advice, sorry - just letting you know we are all rooting for you!
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Your hospital might deal with this insurer on a daily basis - do you really think they would be a strong advocate for you?
You may misunderstand me....my hospital is a veterinary hospital, as I am a veterinarian! So we don't deal with Blue Cross, we deal with Blue Ticks and Blue Heelers.....
We are a corporate-owned hospital, however, and it is that corporation whose assistance I am seeking. We shall see what they say. I am currently in the process of talking with them. I'll let you know how that works out. I may also seek the assistance of the Pro Disc manufacturer's patient assistance hotline, or whatever they call it. I meet with my surgeon next week to get some more questions answered. Thank you for all the advice, it is precisely what I am seeking!!

Susan/ERvet