ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 AM

Default DEvastated--My precious dog passed this morning.

Hello My Friends
I am so eaten up with grief I had to "talk" somewhere.
My 14 year old precious beautiful baby passed away in my arms early this morning and Im an absolute mess.
His presence is everywhere in my home as he was a house dog ( Miniature fox terrier)and followed me literally everywhere (even the bathroom), even more so since Ive been home so much with my back. This little guy was my companion and comfort before and after my surgeries and Im sure those of you with cherished pets will understand my intense sense of loss.

The coming days and weeks, probably months, are going to test me in ways I haven't seen since my mum passed 11 years ago.

Please spare a thought or prayer for me in the next few days. I feel very vulnerable right now with my ongoing unresolved pain and am hoping this isn't the catalyst that sends me gaga finally!

Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default So sorry

Cathy, that's terrible news. I think it's especially hard on patients, as they can grow closer bonds to the "little furry people" during their tough times. I hope you find a peaceful closure process in the days ahead. I am sure it's not easy...

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-26-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydownunder View Post
The coming days and weeks, probably months, are going to test me in ways I haven't seen since my mum passed 11 years ago.

Please spare a thought or prayer
Will do, I know how isolating being at home is. Try to be thankful that you had such a good little friend. I know its going to be a difficult time. Hang in there. x
2007 L5/S1 Facet deterioration, Loss of disc height.
2002 March - ADR Charite - L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1
Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 PM

hi cathy,

i am soooo very sorry to hear about your loss... i know how much comfort and joy your dog provided you with. You are in my thoughts and i'm sending you strength and a big hug to get through this... i know you will.

hang in there my friend,
Liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM

I feel your pain to a degree - while each relationship is special - I just lost my best friend a couple of months ago, who happened to be a dog - one I raised from birth on - he was ONLY 6 yr's of age - I have never lost a dog so young. Be comforted in that you had more time than we had. I understand the missing them everywhere you look & my boy followed me everywhere. It is definitely harder road but I am having to be thankful for the time we had - as it was a blessing while I had it. My heart goes out to you - Jill
Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Default Sorry about your loss.

I have had a few surgeries and my hound really helps. Cathy, I wish you well during this rough stretch. Hang in there.

PS. I'm having fusion instead of the agreed upon ADR @ C3/4 this week. My Dr. took too much bone stock away from my foramintomy last February. Dr. Regan will perform it in Los Angeles. I hope I don't trip over my dog with the collar on.

I know the anguish you are going through.
Take care/hugs,
Mike L.
Had MRI and consultations with 3 local and 3 Los Angeles Neurosurgeons.

Surgery: Local Failed C34 Anterior Foraminotomy 02/09

Lightheadness I now believe to be cervical vertigo, numbness and rightside pectoral muscle atrophy.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM

Default Thank You

Thank you Rich, Alison, Jill, Mike and my pal Liz for your kind words.

No matter how much we know what's coming when a loved one's nearing the end, it still hits us like a ton of bricks.
My little Milo was ailing for quite some time but as he was being kept comfortable with his heart meds I fooled myself into thinking he had time still. After all, he insisted on his daily walk (and carry) till the end.

This morning he has been cremated and I had to tell them what is to go on his plaque. The lady on the phone was so very kind to me as I sobbed out the words. Im glad he has caring people seeing to him.

I found a wonderful website and forum for those who have a lost a pet. It's comforting and a little scary to know there are others who actually love their animals so deeply and unconditionally as me.

So for now I just let the pain wash over me, and cry till the tears don't come anymore. It will take as long as it takes. Eventually I will heal, but I will never forget, as that part of me will always be missing.
Cathy

P.S. MIke best wishes for your surgery this week. Don;t be too disappointed with your fusion over ADR...others with them have managed just fine.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 AM

*e-hugs*

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I remember how tough it was on an old roommate of mine in college when her pup died. In a way, it helped her face the lingering shock of her grandmother's passing, but it was still so rough on her (both her grandmother and her dog passed due to cancer and both with the same timeframe from diagnosis to death).

My thoughts will be with you as you soldier through this. Just think though, now you have a fluffy little four legged angel to watch over you.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Losing a pet can be very tough. My daughter, who is only 7, still remembers the exact date that one of our Jack Russell Terrier's(or terrorist as the case may be) passed very unexpectedly. It's been 2.5 years and we all still miss him. My prayers definitely go out to you.
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Angels with fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydownunder View Post
My 14 year old precious beautiful baby passed away in my arms early this morning and Im an absolute mess.
His presence is everywhere in my home Cathy

Cathy: I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved companion....in my line of work I help people say goodbye to cherished furry friends much too often (emergency veterinary medicine), and have been through that myself as well. As hard as it is to say that last goodbye, I am glad you were able to hold your precious friend.
That unconditional love they have for us is astounding at times.....
please accept my sincere condolences.

Susan/ERvet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08