ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Post From Article Library - Son seeks answers

What an incredibly sad story. Before I had my surgery, I was warned of just about all of the risks that I faced, including death. I even had to sign a piece of paper stating that I knew what the risks were.

No one ever expects to go in to surgery & not come back out. It probably happens more than we realize but it's just not something that is discussed that much in the news.

When I got home from my 6 day stay in the hospital from my fusion surgery, I did a lot of research on the "complications" that I had. I was unaware of the possibility of a heart issue. I had an EKG as part of the pre-surgical testing & was never told of any issues so I went ahead with my surgery.

The first two days after my surgery I had all sorts of issues with a rapid heart rate, low blood pressure, low potassium, & shortness of breath. I don't think these were complications from the surgery, but just a coincidence.

After much internet research, I found that an extremely low potassium level not only affects your heart, it can be fatal if not treated. I didn't think much about the 3 potassium infusions back to back & the switch to the potassium IV drip while I was in the hospital. But now that I'm home, it freaks me out.

Needless to say, I'm going to get checked out by my PCP on Friday to make sure the ticker is OK & to hopefully find out why my potassium is screwy.

I couldn't help but to think about my experience though when I read this article. Here this family thought that their mom would be OK & unfortunately she lost her life. Sometimes you just never know.....
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Well said about the article Karin. It's also a very unusual story: it's detailed, longer than usual and informative. I hope that this family's painful lesson helps other patients near and far....peace and healing to them!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate