ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Default New-33yr-old F, surgery planned 10.14.10Freedom Disc L5-S1

Hi There~
My husband found this site for me and I am so grateful. My history is that I had an back injury when I was 19(lifted a ball and burlap tree that I didn't know had been watered very quickly) and I was paralized for about a day. Off and on for 13 years, I have had pain until last August I lifhted a heavy bag a canned goods and that night I was sent to the ER with pain worse than childbirth. So, I have been through MRI, CT Scan, X Ray, and the last was the Discogram. It was determined that they are 85% sure that the pain generator is L4-L5 and L5-S1, with the later being the worse, I have 75% of my disc degenerated. I have pain on both sides of my spine, hips nerve pain down legs and in buttocks.

For the pain- Physical Therapy, 5 epideral shots, lots of narcotic pain medicine. The epideral and PT never helped, in fact, PT made the situation so much worse. The meds. are about the only thing that keeps it under control although I will say, if I don't get 'in front' of the pain, it never goes away. I feel pain all day. THis has caused depression b/c I have a 3 year old and I cannot play with her the way my husband can and I would like to have another child, but with all the med I have to be on, there is no way.ALl this being said, I have been approved for the Freedom Disc Trail in Charlotte, NC with Dr. Coric on Oct. 14, 2010. Again, it is a 50/50 chance of getting the Prodisc or the new Freedom. They are doing the one level at L5-S1.

My question: if there is anyone out there with similar circumstances, can you tell me what to expect Post-Op and is there anything I should take to the hospital that I wouldn't think of? This might sound silly, but, what kind of clothes should I bring to go home in?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 AM

sorry to hear about your situation... i am also young-ish (32) but my disc isn't as degenerated so i'm trying a new nonsurgical option in hopes of delaying surgery. sounds like you don't have another option.

can't speak much specifically about this surgery but in general you'll want looser comfy clothes esp the pants - if you have to wear a brace the shirt should be somewhat form fitting and the pants looser. being in the hospital is mind-numbingly boring interspersed w/ constant interruption by various staff members.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Hi Lag, sorry you are here, but I hope we can help. Your question is a good one -- some times the most basic questions are the smartest!

To address some of your questions, take a look at the "old site" I created six years ago. The paper I wrote and the other links are still helpful:

ADR Support

Gotta run, talk to you later.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Yeah, it is crazy to be young and is so much pain. I was planning on taking loose clothes, but didn't know if I needed a walker or cane. Or anything else? What kind of precedures are you doing? I am very happy with my doctor and am looking forward to the surgery, actually. I don't mind being out of commission for a while if it means being pain free on the other side. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 AM

i had a procedure called a biacuplasty yesterday, see my posts in the spinal roundtable forum. it can only be done though if you have a certain amnt of retained disc height (don't remember if it's 50 or 75%).

if you have a cane or walker then by all means bring it, might save you/your ins co some money. if you don't have what you need, they will get it for you there and usually they order one through home health for home.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Like you, I am also in NC (Chapel Hill), have had 13 years of back pain on and off (mostly on the last 6), and am seriously looking at the Freedom/ProDisc ADR trial. Will know if I am a candidate this week. First, bring easy fitting clothes, nothing tight. Easier to get into when discharged. I want to describe post-op, but I know everyone is different and reacts differently. Some have no real problems, others more. Make sure to talk to your doc/clinic about post-op recovery procedures, what to do if in pain or emergency, what you can/can't do, etc .... I am sure they will get you on your feet soon after and make sure your moving. Lying in bed is not the approach anymore. My dilemma is kind of like what your was/is, here is a copy of my post in another section ....
-------------------------------------------------
The original injury to my back was 1997. After having a nucleoplasty in 2003 (after years of everything else), a very difficult recovery, and other personal and family issues, I decided to live with the pain and manage to do the best I could. This January I re-herniated the disc. I have been incapacitated about 4 times since then for about a week each, had a new MRI done, and am re-thinking ADR.
I found what appears to a very good place and doctor here in NC: Triangle Orthopedics and Dr David Musante. He got his medical degree from UVA, is both a neuro and orthopediac surgeon, did his fellowship at the Texas Back Institute and trained under Dr. Guyer and Dr. Blumental.

I met with him for my first meeting last week. He discussed the MRI and options. The MRI shows all disks, levels, etc ... fine except L5-S1 where the disc is dark, herniated, dessicated, and more degenerated. He recommended an ADR in a new clinical trial where a person would either get a Freedom ADR or a ProDisc ADR. The other choice is a fusion.
This would take place at the NC Hospital for Special Surgery.

I have Humana insurance and they do not cover ADR's. Dr Musante also said like you, the disc is showing the very beginning signs of auto-fusion on one side. He said I meet all the criteria for a ADR, but he needs to check to see if I meet the 3mm height criteria. He believes so, but will check this week with me.

So if I meet the criteria, I can do the clinical trial ADR and have most costs covered by the trial, have a fusion with most costs covered by Humana, or wait and let it auto-fuse. As I said I am 49n years old, relatively in good health, thin, don't smoke/drink, little exercise, and on pain meds (oxycodone 7.5mg 4-5/x per day).

My fear is if I don't do anything, it can take time to auto-fuse, maybe another 10 years who knows. To me that adds up to continued pain. But I have a feeling any more time of letting it go will eliminate any chances of a ADR, maybe even a fusion at worst.

I called TBI and believe it or not, Dr. Guyer himself called me back and gave a very good recommendation about Dr Musante. Dr Musante himself seemed well trained, intelligent, answers any questions, and told me he had performed about 100 ADR's. I never asked how many Freedom vs ProDisc ADR's he did, which I will. He also explained that at L5-S1, even fusion is a good choice because there is little movement at that level, and all my other levels are fine. He saw no problems with my facets, and I remember even prior facet blocks years ago elsewhere did no good.

So I am meeting Dr Musante this week to see if I am a candidate for the ADR, and then I have to decide. The hardest part is recovery I think. I want to be off pain meds, not worry every time I walk if I can make it or will my disc give out, etc .... on the other hand, will a ADR leave me in worse condition. It's a tough choice, but times a ticking.

Anyway, anyone's thoughts are appreciated

Peace,
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by lag1200 View Post
Hi There~
My husband found this site for me and I am so grateful. My history is that I had an back injury when I was 19(lifted a ball and burlap tree that I didn't know had been watered very quickly) and I was paralized for about a day. Off and on for 13 years, I have had pain until last August I lifhted a heavy bag a canned goods and that night I was sent to the ER with pain worse than childbirth. So, I have been through MRI, CT Scan, X Ray, and the last was the Discogram. It was determined that they are 85% sure that the pain generator is L4-L5 and L5-S1, with the later being the worse, I have 75% of my disc degenerated. I have pain on both sides of my spine, hips nerve pain down legs and in buttocks.

For the pain- Physical Therapy, 5 epideral shots, lots of narcotic pain medicine. The epideral and PT never helped, in fact, PT made the situation so much worse. The meds. are about the only thing that keeps it under control although I will say, if I don't get 'in front' of the pain, it never goes away. I feel pain all day. THis has caused depression b/c I have a 3 year old and I cannot play with her the way my husband can and I would like to have another child, but with all the med I have to be on, there is no way.ALl this being said, I have been approved for the Freedom Disc Trail in Charlotte, NC with Dr. Coric on Oct. 14, 2010. Again, it is a 50/50 chance of getting the Prodisc or the new Freedom. They are doing the one level at L5-S1.

My question: if there is anyone out there with similar circumstances, can you tell me what to expect Post-Op and is there anything I should take to the hospital that I wouldn't think of? This might sound silly, but, what kind of clothes should I bring to go home in?