ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM

NJGene: Very good advice about the travel insurance. I've always used it, but didn't even consider it as an option; why? I don't know - logical and good common sense. Thank you.

Cheryl, I recently joined this forum about a week ago, and have learned more from the members and their experience than I could have researched on my own. My eyes are wide open. I have just been quoted from Dr. Bertognoli for my 2 (possibly 3) level cervical ADR. I am gathering all my information and will be happy to share with you. I haven't heard from Dr. Clavel in a week. All of my information had been forwarded and received 10 days ago. I'm still waiting on Dr. Bierstedt and I have contacted the Texas Back Institute (Dr. Zigler) - all bases are covered.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 AM

Hi LauraB,

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the doctors your considering.

This is what I did. When I had my MRI and X-ray images in digital format I sent them to 6 doctors/hospitals, 3 in the US and 3 in Europe. Only the Mayo didn't respond. 5 responses were consistent that I needed 3 disc's done. The responses did have different solutions from fusion, ADR, combination, posteria and anteria operations.

Something I read somewhere, the US is 20 years behind Germany in ADR, I live in Canada and I think we're sadly 30 years behind Germany.

This was going to cost my wife and I a lot of money and I had to know what was seen in the MRI, what did the doctors see in my MRI slides I sent them so I asked. I got a response ( not going to be specific ) this slide, this slide and this slide.

My thoughts were okay, don't know what you saw but it seems about right. I was quite hard on the doctors/hospitals I dealt with, not nasty, but asked a lot of questions before I made my choice.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Stonewall Boris: I believe that is sage advice. I also sent my diagnostic CTs, MRIs, and X-Rays, along with previous surgical reports and discography to several surgeons. I also was looking for treatment options. The US doctors consensus was fusion (2-3 levels). ADR was suggested by European doctors and with my research added, I agree that it was the better of all - preserving mobility and quality of life. Being your own advocate is your best alliance in this endeavor. I, annoyingly, ask a lot of questions and expect answers.
Dr. Bertognoli with Dr. Fenk-Mayer were diligent about answering all of my queries in regard to the surgery, ADR devices, insurance coverage, payment options, and assistance with travel and scheduling. My expected date of surgery is September 24th - was hoping sooner. (Will post details soon - on another thread).
Dr. Clavel ??? I have heard great things about him, but unfortunately he hasn't responded.
Dr. Bierstedt - had to send my films - may take a little longer.
Texas Back Institute - not sure I want to go that route after some of the negative comments.

Cheryl, question everything! Research the doctors and read the surgical outcomes. It was my best tool in helping me to decide where to go. That...and my husband. While I've been perusing through this site and others for hours on end - he's been practicing his German.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 AM

Hi,

I would urge you to ask as many questions that you can regarding your situation. Things like flight info, insurance and accommodation is not really things you should burden the doctor with, in my opinion the only thing you want from the surgeon is what he/she will do. Many places have people that will answer questions about travel, accomandation and such.
One thing I'm trying to get out there, if you travel via plane, let the airline know you are disabled, they will pick you right off the plane and take you to your next destination. But, please, don't take advantage of boarding early and then disembarking as fast as you can.

"the stone"
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Pro C bettet than fusion but

Certainly ProDisc C is better than actuall fusion but the M6 looks like it preserves more natural motion. Since I already have adjacent level ddd from the fusion above and below, I feel that ADR is the only option for the c 2/3 and or c 6/7. I can't risk the need for further surgery. The insurance companies would have already saved a lot of money had they approved the two level ADR in the first place! That said, my surgeon did not tell me about these other options; which should be a requirement! I wish I could find a US surgeon that would do the disc removal and I will pay for the ADR's myself. The FDA need to approve the multi levels ADR's and stop the red tape!!!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM

Cheryl, you are absolutely right! The M6 is still possibly another 10-15 years from approval (according to Spinal Kinetics). Fusion is certainly not a logical alternative, but it is the only covered treatment option. I truly believe my 2006 fusion is the root source of my current disc bulges and DDD. ADR's with specific FDA devices are covered only at one level; providing it is NOT adjacent to a fusion. I will continue to fight the good fight with them. I do have the empathy of my insurance company's medical management team and they are assisting me in appeal. When my money is involved, I won't give up.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Cheryl, you might want to check out Dr. Carl Lauryssen, who is based in Beverly Hills. He is a U.S. surgeon who has the most experience of anyone in this country with the M6. I'm attaching a link to his website. If it doesn't work, cut and paste it into your browser: Carl Lauryssen M.D. | spinal Neurosurgeon in Los Angeles | Beverly Hills

Dr Lauryssen spends part of each year in Dubai working with the M6. However, he can operate on you in CA with it off-label, meaning that insurance won't cover any of it. It might be an alternative to going overseas. Travel will certainly be easier and less expensive. Furthermore, follow-up would be easier. BTW, even if you don't use Dr. Lauryssen, it might be good to get aquainted with him. If you end up going to Europe for surgery, he is one of the few U.S. surgeons who will see you for follow-up.

Good luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Dr. Biersstedt is not tied to any one disc. The M6 is probably used most often by him especially for lumbar, but he does use different discs if there is a better fit for the particular patient. I am 2 days post op a 3 level lumbar with Dr. Bierstedt and could not be happier with the care I have received to this point.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Congrats and best wishes for your speedy recovery!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
Dr. Biersstedt is not tied to any one disc. The M6 is probably used most often by him especially for lumbar, but he does use different discs if there is a better fit for the particular patient. I am 2 days post op a 3 level lumbar with Dr. Bierstedt and could not be happier with the care I have received to this point.
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Default where is Biersstedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
Where is Dr. Biersstedt practicing? I have not heard this name before. My fear is that a doctor here in the US would say they'd do the ADR and I'd wake up with more fusion!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany