ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Yes, I checked into the trial but, because of my prior surgeries, I was not a candidate. Besides, I am fairly certain I will hear back that I need more than one level plus, my insurance didn't cover them either. That was a bummer but, worth a shot.

I'm sorry, my research has all been focused on the cervical spine so, I have nothing to share regarding the Lumbar spine.

I did read about the massage/rehab component of Dr. B's approach and that really caught my attention. I think its an important part of the equation. I paid out of pocket for a neuromuscular massage therapist after my prior surgeries but, had to wait a month before I was released to use her. It seems so counter intuitive to me to wait. Many years ago, I had an ACL knee surgery. My surgeon had me in PT prior to the surgery. Muscle has memory so it's a good idea to be in as good of shape as possible prior and then jumping right back into PT after the surgery is wonderful. I'm having such a hard time moving now that all I can do is focus on my diet and try to lose the extra weight I put on sitting around being in pain. Juicing has been a great addition to my life BTW. I think it helps to replenish and heal the body from what it loses dealing with the drugs we take to manage pain. I walked until I couldn't walk and lifted light weights until my pain got too bad. Now, all I have left is that I stretch every day and focus on trying to keep a good posture when I sit and walk. Stretching helps with the muscle spasms.

I'll be sure to stay in touch. Please stay in touch with me as well.

I'm off to get some tea and start making phone calls to surgeons LOL.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Smile Surgery Scheduled in Germany! 2-level Lumbar ADR.

Sorry I've been off-line for awhile... I had a 2nd opinion by phone consult with Dr. Clavel Mid-March and he conferred with Dr. Bierstedt that I was an excellent candidate for the two-level lumbar ADR. He also said that the fact that I have Modic Type I/II reactive endplate changes has been shown clinically or in research that those patients do better than patients that don't with discogenic pain. I also had my 2nd opinion by Dr. Eule (Anchorage, Alaska) on Friday, March 20th. He thought I would be a good candidate for the two level ADR (art. disc replacement) and that I would do much better than with a fusion (he thought the fusion would also help but ultimately that I would do better with the ADR).....he also thought something was wrong with my neck b/c I had 5 positive neurological signs/reflexes that something was going on there....so he ordered an MRI of my neck which I had done Monday, March 23rd....... it all was within a normal range for someone my age and now its been ruled out..Dr. Eule has unfortunately been out of town and has not been able to personally look at the MRI but we decided given the normal reading by Dr. Kincaid and CPGH and by looking at the cervical MRI images ourselves to go ahead with surgery in Germany for the two -level ADR replacement.

I'm headed to Dusseldorf Airport in Germany and then onto Hattingen Hospital on April 21st with Dr. Bierstedt conducting the spine surgery with a vascular surgeon assisting (approx 2 hours total) and I'll stay in Germany for 16 days total plus travel time. My husband will stay with me for the first 5 to 6 days and then I'll go it alone from there on out at the rehab facility and fly home alone May 3rd, 2015. I'll overnight in Seattle for the long flight from Germany back to Alaska. Thank you all for your support on this journey! I am at complete peace with my decision and I will keep you posted once I have surgery.
Discography-Sept. 2014
L3/L4: Moderate-Severe DDD, annular tear, 3 leaks, reactive endplate changes, osteophytes, mod.height loss, no disc signal.
L4/L5: Mod.DDD, large annular tear, no disc signal. Posterior leak into spinal canal.
Metal Allergies: Nickel plus 3 others
Cancelled 2 level ADR or hybrid surgery -1/15/15
37 year old active mom
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Adr

Good luck!!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM

It must feel good to have your surgery planned! I hope your travels are uneventful and that you have a very successful surgery. I look forward to hearing about it and will keep you in my thoughts. Best of luck.

P.S. I've read of others here who got their insurance to pay for the surgery in Germany after the fact. Seems like you would be a good candidate since they approved it in the U.S. but, you had to cancel it because of your metal allergies. You might want to research what paperwork you will need from Dr. Bierstedt to make the claim; assuming you haven't already thought of this
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Default even if he was

Even of Clavel was associated with Stenum; which he wasn't, it speaks volumes that he had the good sense to get away! ;o) The Hospital Quiron is JCI accredited and ISO 9001 compliant; so I trust that!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 AM

When I was doing my research Dr. Clavel was associated with Dr. Ritter-Lang. I've personally met with Dr. Ritter-Lang patients and they doing well. Much like myself we are still doing post op treatment's. From my understanding Dr. Bierstedt also worked with Dr. Ritter-Lang.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM

Default enough said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
When I was doing my research Dr. Clavel was associated with Dr. Ritter-Lang. I've personally met with Dr. Ritter-Lang patients and they doing well. Much like myself we are still doing post op treatment's. From my understanding Dr. Bierstedt also worked with Dr. Ritter-Lang.
It was really the hospital's oversights not the doctors anyway...
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM

One of the reasons I went with Dr. B. was because of the hospital he was working from. It was just not a clinic but a full hospital. I've read posts here where people took tea with them to clean out there bowels before surgery. That was one of many things I didn't have to worry about, as soon as I was admitted I was instantly taken care of. And yes, they gave me something to drink to clear out my bowels before surgery. They pretty much kept track of me from the time I left on the airplane to Dusseldorf to now.
BTW. If anyone goes to see Dr. B. at Hattigen I was in room 4 on the sixth floor.