ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Financing ADR Surgery

Hi all,

I am writing in the insurance section because I don't see a more appropriate area to write this post in. Harrison, maybe you can help me out?

My question is, how did all of you afford to pay for your ADR surgery?

I am 28 years old and it is looking like I will need surgery one way or another in my lower-back. I understand many people on this forum may have saved up money over the years to pay for this type of surgery, but I have not. I've been stricken at a point in my life where I was just getting my finances together and could start thinking about creating a savings.

If I were to get the surgery, there's no way I could afford to go to Europe. I would have to switch insurance plans in the states to cover a doctor who does ADR here and borrow money for the co-pay from a friend or family member as I do not have substantial credit to cover thousands in deductables.

The other problem I see is that I will be missing months of work in recovery on top of the medical bills. My job is physically-orientated and I keep hearing it will be months until I can return to moderately strenuous activity.

How did you all manage to pay for your ADR surgery, how did you financially manage the recovery process, and do you have any advice for a young man like me?
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American
Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 PM

If you have a 401k you could borrow $$$ from there or early withdrawal for a hardship. Borrow from family members. Start a gofundme page. Refinance or home equity loan.
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 PM

Hi Pittpete,

All great ideas. I think I slip through all the cracks as I don't own a home and I don't have a 401k or retirement fund.

I'm also estranged from my family which doesn't help, but I do have a friend that might be willing to help provide somewhere in the 7-10k range in case of needing to meet the deductible if I can get the procedure approved here in the states.

The only other option I can think of would be a personal non-secure loan. If I even qualify for that.

Thanks for your input,
Best regards,
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American