ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 AM

I have stayed at The Colony before, but only for one night (no complaints here).

Looking at Google maps (again), it looks like there are about 4 hotels in the general area of Yale / Yale hospital, and 2 hotels a few miles away....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in the New Haven area to stay in for approximately one week?

Thanks.

David
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 AM

in guilford we stayed at the comfort inn was really close to the doctors office.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 08-29-2006, 06:41 AM

Yeah, I stayed at the hotel next to that Comfort Inn when I had my visit to that particular office as well.

Right now, there is probably a 98% chance that I will be having surgery at the Yale hospital in a couple of months.

Last time I went to the New Haven office, I flew into New Haven and stayed at The Colony, which was fine (when I was in Guilford, I flew to Hartford and drove down).

This time, more than likely, I imagine that my parents will probably be there as well, since I will be in New Haven for (probably) a week.

Although the Courtyard by Marriott seems to be more oriented towards business travelers (and certainly isn't cheap), it does look like it has "2 queen bed guest room", which makes me wonder if it is two beds in one room, or two beds in one room that is slightly separated (?).

If it is the latter, that would allow my parents and I to stay in the same room, but give all of us a bit of privacy.

I figured that I should start my preparations now, instead of waiting a couple of months and scrambling to figure out what the hell I need to do
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 AM

david
i heard the study changed from comparring activ-l to prodisc. and now it means activ-l to charite
your ok with that?
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 AM

I have heard that as well, and no, I am not ok with that.

I am going to submit to my insurance company for 1 level Prodisc and either pay out of pocket for the rest, or be denied, and pay out of pocket for the entire procedure.

David
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 AM

david
i surely hope you get insurance approval i had run out of time for fighting with blue crap.
best wishes
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM

Thanks.

To be honest, I am not really going to put up a fight. I am done waiting. If I am approved; then so be it.

If I am not approved, then I just end up spending more $.

Either way, I am pushing through with the surgery starting mid-October.

David
Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 PM

David,
I'm from the New Haven area and would be happy to help you in researching hotels. There are a bunch of great restaurants in the downtown area as well. There is a Fairfield Inn which isn't too far from the hospital and it's right off rt 95, by the Long Wharf exit. It might be a little cheaper than Courtyard Marriott. The New Haven hotel as well as the Omni are pricey.I believe there is a Hampton Inn a few exits south. There are several Days Inns but both are a few miles outside of New Haven.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Ann,

Thanks for your offer. I am thinking that staying in the downtown area might make more sense, since there are more things 'to do' closer than outside of town (from what I saw last time).

To be honest, I don't mind spending a bit more $ for a hotel room for the week(ish), such as the Courtyard, since I will be spending a fair amount of money for the surgery anyway.

My logic is that I might as well have a nice place to stay in during the CT winter (I am guessing November / December / January time-frame), since I am guessing that I will be spending a fair amount of time in-doors during my New Haven "visit".

I am thinking I will give the Courtyard Marriott a call and see what the "2 queen bed guest room" is like. I think it runs around $130ish a night, which certainly isn't cheap, but if the available amenities are worth it, then so be it (especially if it is $130ish / night for 3 people, with basically two separate bedrooms).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

David
Old 08-30-2006, 04:14 AM

David, just be careful of where you stay. Yes I would rather drive a bit versus staying in New Haven. Some areas are not very safe. I don't know whether you were renting a car for the week of not. If so, I would definetly stay outside of the city. Just my opinion.

Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06