ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 PM

It'd be hard to have a debate on the relatively little comparative literature I've managed to find on the different disks to begin with, but in my experience doctors even seem loath to really compare the discs themselves, even in one-on-one patient consultations.

Hmmm, maybe because there's either so little difference between them and commercial investments/decisions must be protected, or so much we don't know yet? That might be a good question to ask in itself, but I doubt there'd be many straignt answers to that one

Trace
Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM

I asked my doctor's office today which disk they are planning on using for my surgery...she answered me with a bit of a tude and said "the charite is the only FDA approved disk in the US right now".
Not sure why the question made her answer me with an attitude though?

I've read lots on here and on my next appt, I will be ready with a whole list of questions.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:54 AM

Vicki,

One can only surmise, but there are still docs out there who don't like getting questions which they consider as belonging to the realm of the MD and not the patient. Finding a doc who don't mind our trailing our question lists behind us into his/her office feels like the pot at the end of the rainbow

Trace
Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 AM

Thanks for questions and help! I had a great visit yesterday with Dr. Bitan, they checked my facet joints to ensure they weren't a pain generator and we're moving ahead to get insurance approval and schedule a Charite ADR at L5/S1. Bitan couldn't have been more helpful; because I was coming from VA he squeezed me in for the facet joint blocks in the afternoon and waited until 7 pm to meet with me afterwards to discuss our options. I've never had a back doctor treat me with such caring and respect, I probably talked to him for 2 hours.

I asked my pro fusion doc in VA where I could get more info. about fusion vs. ADR and he said "I've told you everything you need to know" this was after short talk where I was practially holding him back from the door the entire time and he commented twice on the number of questions I had. Gotta love those doc's with the god complex

I asked Bitan about Charite vs Pro disc and he said he perfered the Charite b/c it had been around longer and he is simply most familer with it.

I feel really good about this now and am confidant moving forward with the surgery ASAP. I'm real sore today from all the poking and proding but am SO happy and relieved.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:27 AM

Maybe you can ask Dr. Bitan why he doesn't do his own discograms too. Is he just too busy?

You're lucky to see him. He is one of the best Charite Dr.'s around...
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Texas,

Glad you got the answers you needed and the treatment you deserved! A doctor with a great bedside manner makes all the difference in the world coming out of the consultation. Still too many 'doctators' out there...

Any idea of when your surgery will be?

Trace
Old 04-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Thank you everyone to responding to my initial post. Tricia pretty much gave the better answer, but I felt like throwing in my two cents on how well the visit went with Dr. Bitan and his staff. Not only was Dr. Bitan's demeanor very reassuring, but the fact that he has operated with a "team" during his 380 Charite surgeries is also very reassuring. He provided us with statistics of the percentage of people that have had little to no pain after the surgery, people who still continue to have a little pain, and only one case where a he performed the ADR surgery failed, and he had to then do a fusion which cured the pain.

He mentioned to us that he has done several ADR replacements (removed the Charite and did a fusion) and the results have always been successful, but still recommended that he feels Charite is the best way to go.

I mentioned his staff above, so I wanted to discuss them as well. The vascular surgeon that has performed these surgeries with Bitan also met with us and he's a GREAT doctor... very trusting, very reassuring. Annie, who seems to be almost his office manager (for lack of a better term) was very friendly and worked with us throughout the day to make sure we'd be able to speak with them after returning from Tricia's facet block test.

If anyone is still searching for a doctor to speak with, the day trip to NYC to visit with Dr. Bitan is well worth it in my opinion. Tricia and I are both very happy that we were able to make the trip and were given the answers we were so hoping to hear. Thanks again to everyone for all your help! Please let Tricia or me know if there is anything we can do to help return the favor!

~ Jeff
Old 04-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Jeff,

It's really nice to read your positive return on Dr Bitan and his staff, and even nicer to read that you're reassured by your contacts with them!

I'd be interested in the pain statistics he gave you, and I'm sure a lot of others would too.

Trace
Old 04-23-2006, 07:30 PM

I'm under the impression that the only way to rule out facet joints as pain generators is to have facet injections. In short, I believe that looking at an MRI re: facets isn't good enough.

ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:37 PM

ANS - That is correct. The only real way to test a facet joint is to numb it with an injection and see if that decreases your overall pain level. When I had this test I had an increase in my overall pain level that has lasted for 3 days now so they aren't worried about the joints. Sometimes I think the Dr's can also "test" the joints by moving your legs etc. and seeing what/where the pain is coming from but it's not as clear as the injections. There is someone on the board who has a lot of facet joint problems who could probably tell us more.