ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Rachel, yes, you got that right. I did not have any of the respiratory signals one would normally consider. Absolutely nothing. I could not have been more surprised when they said pneumonia in both lungs, and of course the pulmonary embolism. However, I do have an update from yesterday's doctor's appt. I saw a doc I had never seen before, so I was a tad worried. I normally see a female P.A., within the same office system, who is incredible and very thorough, and we have a great working relationship. However, when she read how serious my paperwork was coming in, she deferred to a Physician. And.....I ended up really liking him and he was equally thorough. My INR levels are still being very stubborn and not getting to a therapeutic range, which is somewhere between 2 and 3. Yesterday, after they drew the blood and tested again they were still at 1.0 Same as in hospital. So...... some of this means I am still at risk of future blood clots as my blood isn't thinning yet from the Heparin (while in hospital) and now the Coumadin and Lovenox injections at home. So, tomorrow the doctor ordered a sonogram of both legs to check for any evil, lurking, clots still hiding in my legs. And if they're there, I'd personally like to blast the s.o.b's to kingdom come. Forgive my french. Another INR check on thursday, and so it goes until we can get my levels where they need to be. Looks like I will likely (doctor quote) have to be on Coumadin/Warfarin for lifetime. Forgive such a lengthy update, but I've been a tad frazzled from all this and very thankful for all the support. On that note, I end with, please keep me in your prayers for my INR levels to iron out and cooperate. (am just ever slightly suspicious my blood is as thick-headed and stubborn as myself......)
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Cindy,

I am glad this is all working out. When you were in the hospital prior to the DVT and PE were you inhaling through a device called a spyrohmeter sp? A plastic tubular device with an inner cork which goes up as you inhale to a volume of 3500 cc? I did this at the hospital and at home to keep my lungs clear. I went back after a week to investigate a sore calf. Doppler ultrasound revealed muscle damage and not a clot. Thank God! I am glad the clot only traveled to your lung and you were aware enough to get help. Hopefully all is behind you and you can start a speedy recovery. My prayers are with you.
Discogram 10FEB08
ADR Prodisc L 10JUN08
Discogram 08APR09 for gnawing 3+ pain when sitting results negative
Facet injection L4/5 upcoming 03JUN09 Cancelled because pain is subsiding
Follow up on 01JUL09 with Dr. D
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM

Steelskyway, yes, I was inhaling thru that thing-a-ma-jig, after my first surgery, July 2. But no one gave me one after the second surgery, so I honestly just didn't think of it, the second time around. Very good point. Could have indeed been the culprit. I am yes, like a crazy person now, using my breathing device. I can get it up to 4,000 sometimes, and a few times 4,500, so that is definitely improvement. Thanks.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

CL--check your PMs.
-Justin
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

CindyLou,

Goodness Gal you certainly do things in a BIG way !!!!!

I'm so so glad you got yourself into the hospital and got treatment started right away and I hope the ultrasounds show clear , free flowing vessels from here on out.

Just a note on the pneumonia ...... being a Respiratory Therapist gives me a bit of knowledge... but it can often be silent especially with all the surgical down time you have had. All it takes is a period of shallow breathing which tbh we all can have with the pain associated with the types of procedures we go through and anesthesia. And you've had SO many back to back. Then you add a little bug you might have had lurking about and wham... The incentive spirometry you spoke of may have helped but I don't think it would have prevented this. Of course now it's important to keep everything well expanded, drink your fluids so you can clear everything up...

Have they spoken to you about avoiding certain foods that have Vit K in them during this time? Diet may be of some help to improve your INR's although I'm sure they've mentioned all of that.

I truly hope the blood clots and clotting times get under control and you can recover fully without any further issues.. wow, please take care!!
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Toebin, thanks for the reasurring words. I did receive a packet today with information about the Vit.K and other foods to watch or eat consistently. Will be a bit of a challenge for me in the beginning, that's for sure. I did have my INR level checked today, and yippee, it finally budged a little, up to 1.6. So I continue warfarin 10 mg. daily and the Lovenox injections twice daily at least until Monday. So I hope I can keep them climbing to a therapeutic level soon. I feel like a prisoner with having to go every couple of days for lab work. Oh well, small price. I am alive. Gotta scoot. Take good care and your turn is right around the corner honey to be well.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, so I've been out of the loop for a while now and you've gone quiet...lol

I am assuming quiet means things are progressing well?

How did the Doppler study of your legs go? How are the clotting times now?

How are YOU feeling and how's the back treating you?

CindyLou the world wants to know
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Thank-you Toebin for your kind inquiries. I suppose my title should now read: Finally, out of hospital, for 4th time. Had another scare Monday evening, actually early Tuesday morning, on the 19th at 1 a.m., so just 4 days ago. Woke up with exact same symptoms that sent me to the Brainerd hospital on August 7th, for 4-5 days, only a week and a half before. Sharp left sided chest pain, sudden onset, and unbearable....a 10 on the pain chart. Could not even sit up, pain was so bad. My husband called 911, and ambulance came fast. (how sad, my husband has become the expert, with the 911 ordeal) They kept me over night and all day till discharge, end of day on the 19th, Tuesday. After all kinds of tests, it turns out I still have the pleurisy, pleural effusion, and partial left lung collapse. The good news is, the CAT SCAN showed the pulmonary embolism to be absorbed by my body, hallelulah. And the bi-lateral pneumonia was gone. However, I was/am still at risk for these because of pleurisy, etc., so I have been doing my deep breathing exercises like a maniac. Tire easily, but feel am on the mend. My Mother left yesterday, which was a big relief. Difficult to "host" family under grave health conditions. Good to see her, but I was exhausted when she left. My Doppler US finds were curious, to say the least. I'll just quote the IMPRESSION: Negative Doppler study of the bilateral lower extremities. The visualized posterior tibial and peroneal veins without definite thrombus but cannot totally exclude calf thrombus. What the hell does that mean? My right calf is the one that still gives me throbbing pain, on and off. But it feels like it is coming from the front side of my calf, not the back. And when I asked my back surgeon, he said the clots only come from back of leg. Could it be referred pain? I just don't know. My INR's finally jumped to 2.7 last Monday, so we readjusted, somewhat, and I get checked again this coming Monday. They thought 2.7 was a bit too high........seemed ok to me, but I'm just the dumb patient. That's it. I think I answered all your questions. Oh, fyi, I declined a trip to Australia in mid September with my husband. (I'm not that stupid, to risk throwing another clot) So, he is taking our 21 year old, junior in college son, as his guest. He's stoked. This is an award trip, fully paid for. So, they'll have a fantastic time together. Hope you are well too, my friend, as we all must lift each other up to wellness.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Hey CindyLou,

Sounds like several baby steps forward and only one little one backwards.. we're heading in the right direction this time !!!!!

As long and your INR's are good I think you should be safe even if they can't completely rule out a thrombus in the calf.

And the fact that the CT scan says the lung embolism has been reabsorbed is wonderful !!!

The deep breathing and exercise should help the atelectasis (partial lung collapse)for sure.. I just still wonder why you have pleurisy though? Odd stuff..

So glad to hear some positive finally.. I bet it feels good from your end too !!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM

wow cindylou, out of hospital for the fourth time! its good that things are clearing up hopefully once and for all this time.

im sure your husband and son will love their trip to aussie, where abouts are they going?
L4/5, L5/S1 disc prolapses post wakeboarding accident Oct 06 (grade 5 and grade 4 annular disruption, repectively). 2X epidural steroid injections, lots of drugs and conservative treatment, positive discogram. Surgery May 08 (L4/5 A-Mav disc replacement and L5/S1 ALIF)