ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge Find authoritative insights from medical professionals, manufacturers, and guest visitors. Also find a current list of clinical trials. This is a read-only forum.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Poehlmann on Arthritis

Since 2004, we’ve been reading posts from patients suffering from a wide range of ailments, including degenerative disease and various arthritic conditions. We’ve also discussed contraindications for disc replacement, including facet arthritis.

These issues of arthritis are of great interest to all of us patients as they present several challenges:

- They are technically dense, complex issues; it’s difficult to get concrete answers on the diagnosis and treatments of spine-related arthritic conditions;
- Arthritis can be a localized or systemic phenomenon;
- Various arthritic conditions of the spine (especially facet arthritis) present a known, considerable risk to ADR patients;
- There appear to be no universally accepted clinical standards for classifying arthritic conditions relating to the spine (though several grading systems exist for facet arthrosis);
- Because of the above factors (et al), patients may not be able to accurately assess their pre-operative risks(s).

As a patient, these are really ugly issues to factor into one’s healthcare decisions. And most patients that find the ADRSupport community suffer from advanced, chronic spine diseases – leaving them desperate for a treatment option that is perceived as the most efficacious of all medical choices.

This Q & A column on arthritis is an important topic as it could play a crucial part of patient’s diagnostic picture. And as most of you know, arthritic conditions (especially with facets) are a big risk factor for many in this community. As a side note, it’s interesting that the recent Consumer Reports Health report on back pain treatments refers to degenerative disc disease as “arthritis.”

Accordingly, the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation has recruited an executive board of professionals who represent a wide range of medical specialties. One of our new board members knows quite a bit about arthritis, so much so that she wrote a book on the entire subject. We were lucky enough to have her share some of personal and professional experiences in the following interview. Please welcome our newest member, Katherine Poehlmann, PhD. , author of the Rheumatoid Arthritis: The Infection Connection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Poehlmann Q & A.pdf (154.0 KB, 117 views)
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Arthritis Lies

It never ceases to amaze me how many myths and lies are carried about in the US press. And now overseas.

I bolded the mythology. It's amazing that the actual source of inflammation is rarely addressed. Patients are led to believe it's your geno-type or something you have no control over whatsoever. Thus, you must rely on your rheumatology doc to give you a never-ending spiral of expensive drugs that lead you to a deeper disease state and a road to ruin.

Of course, diet (including poor water) and other pollution have a terrible effect on us. But that's only part of the problem. One could actually target the SOURCE of inflammation -- pathogens -- rather than taking anti-inflammatories the rest of one's life!?

I know of many people, myself included, that got rid of conditions diagnosed as: DDD (cervical), MS, arthritis, chronic fatigue, Lyme Disease et al with antibiotics. Some did naturopathic, others prescriptive, and fewer both. I did both, thank God.

Here's a recent interview I did with Dr. Katherine Poehlmann, an expert in various arthritic syndromes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvToqVWBilA

I hope this helps some of you. So many people here are in "just fix me" mode that these posts receive little notice.
__________________________________________________ _

Arthritis disease registers upward trend in Pakistan

Arthritis, generally labelled as joint pains, is a common disease in Pakistan whose occurrence has been registering an upward trend within the last few years mainly because of unhealthy diet and lifestyle.

Arthritis is a common condition, which affects the joints in a person, leading to severe pain and stiffness, which could also limit a person’s movements.

“Arthritis is a disease of inflammation. The inflammation comes and stays, and there is no way to permanently just turn it off. Most effective and logical treatment is anything that fights inflammation,” said Head of Community Medicine at CMH Lahore Medical College Professor Dr Muhammad Ashraf Chaudhry while talking to ‘The News’..."

Arthritis disease registers upward trend in Pakistan - thenews.com.pk
Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Harrison, when I try to watch the video, a screen pops up that says, "This video is private. Sorry about that."
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Sorry Jeff, it's now public.