ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Music & Healing

I meant to post this suggestive question a while ago! I love music of all kinds, especially classical and new age. Like many here, I just take music as a given and listen to it when I am working or relaxing. But patients in pain have a tough time relaxing or falling or sleep, so every little idea or tip might help them fall asleep, where the magic of sleep can help heal.

I’d like to start a list of music artists or CD titles that you all find particularly relaxing. I’ll give one example of an artist I heard of a few years back: Anugama. I think this guy is a bit of a genius, as he actually incorporates certain frequencies into his music that physiologically come together to create “sound therapy.” Here’s a brief review of his aptly named “Healing” CD:

“…Theta sounds, planetary sounds, natural and other sounds, arranged according to the findings of sound therapy, are the 'components' of these harmonious compositions by Anugama, which have especially positive effects on the soul. In sound therapy, the brain is energetically recharged through music with a high proportion of high frequencies, resulting in awareness and alertness of mind…”

Sure, it may sound new-agey, but it’s cool. And relaxing indeed. What are you folks listening to these days to relax? Fall asleep?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Cool must have a melody...

I listen to pretty much anything that has a melody, which rules out rap music (an oxymoron if ever I heard one....sorry if there are fans out there!). Much to the chagrin of my coworkers, I rediscovered country music about 5 or 6 years ago on a drive to Minnesota, taking the scenic route across North Dakota (if you've never been there, it actually is pretty scenic! and wide open spaces, farm fields, amazing). Well, that's pretty much all you can listen to in the heartland. And I remembered how much I had enjoyed it years earlier. Haven't gone back to whatever else I was listening to! But I also enjoy a good piano concerto, esp Rachmaninov. So, there you go. David Wilcox is another big favorite, John Gorka. I'm sort of eclectic or eccentric or some other word with lots of c's.

(cue the band)
Susan/Ervet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08
Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Spinegirl

This is my first post, hello everyone. I like music sometimes, but not all the time when trying to relax. Does anyone use Reiki to treat themselves? I would like to know more.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Spinegirl

Sorry if I did not answer your question. I like Deuter, who I can relate to because of his car accident. He picked up his life and pursued his dreams and made wonderful music for us all. I became acquainted with his music in Reiki training.